Trying to Write Files to CD Drive,,,,

Guitarmakermark

Aug 19, 2010, 3:25:29 PM8/19/10
Hello,

I'm trying to write some files to a blank CD, and/or a DVD. No matter
which media I'm trying to write to, I get the same error message:

"Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do
you want Windows to do?" The choices in the dialog box are to Retry
or Cancel.

This error occurs no matter if I drag and drop files to the CD drive
folder, or use the context menu :Send To:, or use the copy and paste
commands in the File and Edit menus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

Db

Aug 19, 2010, 4:06:32 PM8/19/10
has writing to a cd/dvd ever
been possible for you?

it might be that the cd/dvd
drive is read only and has
no recording capabilities.

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

"Guitarmakermark" <Guitarm...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mark Adams

Aug 19, 2010, 4:36:03 PM8/19/10

"Guitarmakermark" wrote:

> .

Download and install CDBurner XP Pro and use it to write to CD. If CDBurner
can't do it, I would suspect the optical drive.

Guitarmakermark

Aug 20, 2010, 12:51:02 PM8/20/10
On Aug 19, 1:06 pm, "Db" <databas...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> has writing to a cd/dvd ever
> been possible for you?
>
> it might be that the cd/dvd
> drive is read only and has
> no recording capabilities.
>
> --
> --
> db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:
>
> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
>
> "Guitarmakermark" <Guitarmakerm...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I'm trying to write some files to a blank CD, and/or a DVD.  No matter
> > which media I'm trying to write to, I get the same error message:
>
> > "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file.  What do
> > you want Windows to do?"  The choices in the dialog box are to Retry
> > or Cancel.
>
> > This error occurs no matter if I drag and drop files to the CD drive
> > folder, or use the context menu :Send To:, or use the copy and paste
> > commands in the File and Edit menus.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > Mark- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I used to be able to write files to the DVD drive, using
explorer, just like copying and pasting to any other folder. It
seems, though, since having installed Service Pack 3, I get that goofy
error message when trying to write files to CD or DVD.

Mark

Db

Aug 20, 2010, 3:02:31 PM8/20/10
what you might try to do is
to reinstall the driver for
the cd/dvd device

you may also want to double
check with the drive's web
site for updated drivers or
faq's that may address the
issue.

there is also the option to
uninstall sp3,

the sp3 update can be
uninstalled via a/r programs.

however, before trying any of
the above, if you choose to do
so,

i would execute a clean boot.

a clean boot will load up the
o.s. without third party programs
and services.

it is not uncommon that when the
o.s. is updated that other programs
need to be updated as well.

so maybe one of the startups can
be contributing to the problem.

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

"Guitarmakermark" <Guitarm...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Guitarmakermark

Aug 21, 2010, 12:51:13 AM8/21/10

Db,

Thanks for your replies. What I have tried is to check out the
Lightscribe website, looking for a driver for my DVD/CD drive. They
don't seem to have simple drivers available for download, only
something they call "Lightscribe System Software," which only seems to
pertain to burning labels on a cd or dvd.

Have not yet tried a clean boot, because frankly, I'm not clear on how
a clean boot would change anything, despite having read Microsoft's
article regarding the clean boot procedure.

Have you any further advice for me, taking into account my frustrated
and confused state?

Thanks!

Mark

pjp

Aug 21, 2010, 4:35:45 AM8/21/10

"Guitarmakermark" <Guitarm...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Db,

That's all Lightscribe does, e.g. burn a design on the "faceup" side of
special cd/dvd's. You still need software to design and create the label.
Believe they provide a simple program will do this but generally I imagine
people use Nero Coverdesigner or what I prefer Acoustica.

Donald Anadell

Aug 21, 2010, 9:33:12 AM8/21/10

"Guitarmakermark" <Guitarm...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Open the Properties dialog box on the drive in question and click on the
"Recording" tab. Make sure there is a checkmark in the box next to "Enable
CD recording on this drive".

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Guitarmakermark

Aug 21, 2010, 2:53:17 PM8/21/10
On Aug 21, 6:33 am, "Donald Anadell" <danad...@nospamersmikrotec.com>
wrote:
> "Guitarmakermark" <Guitarmakerm...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Mark- Hide quoted text -

Been there, done that....I wish it were that simple!

Guitarmakermark

Aug 21, 2010, 2:54:20 PM8/21/10
On Aug 21, 1:35 am, "pjp"

db,

I'm thinking now my DVD drive is a Lite-On, will check for drivers
later.

Thanks!

Mark

Db

Aug 21, 2010, 3:49:49 PM8/21/10

what you can try is to disconnect
the drive from the motherboard,

then boot to windows and ensure
that the drivers and added
software that came with the drive
are removed/uninstalled.

then reboot windows.

windows should load up the
desktop and run as though there was
never a cd/dvd drive installed.

the next step i would attempt is to
reconnect the drive to the pc.

you will need to power down
the pc then unplug it from
the surge protector.

once its powered down,
reconnect the drive to the
power supply and mobo.

then power up the pc.

windows should see the device and
will either ask you for the drivers, or
provide you with a selection of drivers
to pick from.

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

"Guitarmakermark" <Guitarm...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Deathunter

Aug 21, 2010, 8:48:13 PM8/21/10

assure your drive is clean. stick the tube of an air can just about 1/2
inch inside the drive and blast it a couple times. try running a quality
cleaner cd.
Try re-seating your memory - make sure you ground yourself by touching
the case - then unplug the power plug - then push the power putton for
about 5 seconds to drian power from the board - then pop the RAM out and
pop it back in. I would sudjust a memory checker... but with XP, you
need to download it from Microsoft and BURN it to a cd.

good luck

Doug W.

Aug 22, 2010, 2:48:58 AM8/22/10
Geez, don't follow ANY of those silly suggestions or you will be
in trouble.
==

"Deathunter" <Deathunt...@no.email.invalid> wrote in
message news:Deathunt...@no.email.invalid...

Guitarmakermark

Aug 22, 2010, 2:04:46 PM8/22/10

db,

Your suggestion makes sense to me. I am going to start, however, by
fully exposing the drive so that I can find a model number, and then
searching for drivers from the mfgr's website. If I am not successful
in loading those drivers, then I shall boot the unit minus the drive,
and start over, as you suggest.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post, me appreciates it!

Mark