Re: Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

David Candy

Sep 1, 2005, 12:43:05 PM9/1/05
Create a text file and paste lines in

on error resume next
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
set lnk = WshShell.CreateShortcut(A)
If lnk.hotkey <> "" then
msgbox A & vbcrlf & lnk.hotkey
End If

Rename it to findhotkey.vbs and put it in c:\

Explorer looks in 4 places for hotkeys, these are read on startup. The hotkey is stored in the shortcut. Only hotkeys on shortcuts in the four locations are live.

Type in a command prompt

cd %UserProfile%\desktop
for /r %A in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
cd %AllUsersProfile%\desktop
for /r %A in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
cd %UserProfile%\Start Menu
for /r %A in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
cd %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu
for /r %A in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"
for /r %A in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%A"

Each shortcut, that has a hotkey, will pop up a dialog with the name of the shortcut and it's hotkey.

Ctrl + C Copies the text of a message box to the clipboard.

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <NoSpamM...@comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote in message news:A745DEF2-C664-4EFC...@microsoft.com...
>I inherited a computer at my new workplace and the person before me has
> custom mapped the backspace key to pop open a chat window in IE. I do not
> have a shortcut link to remove the shortcut from, so I am looking for a way
> to view all shortcuts and delete them. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> ***************************
> Think Outside the Box!
> ***************************

Stan Brown

Sep 7, 2005, 11:03:02 AM9/7/05
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 02:43:05 +1000 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, favored us with...

> Create a text file and paste lines in
>
> on error resume next
> set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
> set lnk = WshShell.CreateShortcut(A)
> If lnk.hotkey <> "" then
> msgbox A & vbcrlf & lnk.hotkey
> End If

[snip]

This script (or one very like it) didn't work for me back in the
spring, as I posted then.

What did work was the free Shortcut Key Explorer
http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/shortcutkeys/

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child