Uninstall Windows XP

Skip to the first unread message

Rob

17 Jan 2004, 13:39:3417/01/2004
I need to uninstall Windows XP and go back to Windows 98
(oringinal windows on my computer). I followed
directions in Help, but there is no windows xp in the
add/remove programs list. Is there any other way to
uninstall?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

17 Jan 2004, 13:47:3617/01/2004
If "Uninstall Windows XP" is not in the list of installed programs,
you must manually reinstall Windows 98. If this the case, make
sure to back up all of your critical data before you reinstall Windows 98.

How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303661

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard
Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255867

1. Delete the Windows XP partition.
2. Create a new partition.
3. Format the new partition FAT32.
4. Install your desired Operating System.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Rob" anon...@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message:

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers

17 Jan 2004, 13:50:5217/01/2004
Hi Rob,

If the backup option was not used, or has been since removed, or you
converted to the NTFS file system, then the only way back to Win98 is to
format (and possibly repartition) and do a clean installation.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

Ken Blake, MVP

17 Jan 2004, 16:08:1317/01/2004
"Rob" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I need to uninstall Windows XP and go back to Windows 98

It's only in Add/Remove if you did an upgrade installation,
elected to save the original operating system, and didn't convert
to NTFS. Since one or more of those things is apparently not
true, you can't uninstall it, and must therefore do a clean
installation of 98.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Bruce Chambers

17 Jan 2004, 16:31:1017/01/2004
Greetings --

If you performed an upgrade from Win98/Me, elected to backup the
old system files, and didn't convert the partition to NTFS, then all
you need do is boot into Safe Mode and Start > Control Panel >
Add/Remove Programs. All of these conditions _must_ be met for the
uninstall option to be available.

Otherwise:

How to Manually Remove Win XP and Restore Win9x
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314052

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

Michael Stevens

18 Jan 2004, 01:41:5218/01/2004

Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address box.
Remove XP and install 98/Me
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#how5
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP