XP Home Edition - Where's the Web Server?

1 view

Campbell's List

Jul 8, 2003, 2:19:21 PM7/8/03
I have Windows XP Home Edition installed. I just installed Macromedia
Dreamweaver MX to develop active server pages (ASP). In order to use the
program, I must have a web server installed -- either Internet Information
Server (IIS) or Personal Web Server (PWS). I could not find either servers
on this local machine, nor any instructions on how to download and install
them. I looked for a path called "C:\inetpub" but it doesn't exist.

What web server is used for XP Home Edition? How do I get it?

Thank you,

Rick R.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Jul 8, 2003, 2:22:23 PM7/8/03
"Campbell's List" <in...@campbellslist.com> wrote in message

Neither Internet Information Server (IIS) or Personal Web Server (PWS) is
included with Windows XP Home Edition.
If you require a Microsoft Web Server for your development environment you
need to upgrade to Windows XP Professional as this includes IIS.

You may be able to use other third party web servers

--
Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Mike Kolitz

Jul 8, 2003, 2:33:49 PM7/8/03
Rick,
Mike's answer is correct. For ASP development you must either use XP
Professional or a third party HTTPD.

However, if you're going to be doing ASP.NET Development, you can try using
the ASP.NET WebMatrix from Microsoft, which is available from www.asp.net.

You can also download Cassini, which is an HTTPD that will serve ASP.NET
pages, and is the basis for the HTTPD in WebMatrix.
http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

--
Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
MS-MVP - Windows Setup and Deployment