Can't install WinXP

Georges Heinesch

Sep 29, 2006, 10:02:57 AM9/29/06
Hi.

I'd like to install WinXP on my RAID1 (Dell XPS700 - 2 disks).

Pri DellUtility FAT16
Pri WinXP (Dell) NTFS
Pri <### this is where I would like to install it ###>
Ext <3 NTFS and 2 FAT32 partitions containing data>

I partitined using PartitionMagic 8.05.

Thne RAID drivers were properly installed after pressing F6 just after
the WinXP Setup starts. They are up-to-date and seem to work, since I
get a blue screen if I don't install them.

As soon as WinXP setup comes to the point, where I have to select the
partition to install WinXP, I get:

When I install WinXP, I use F6 to load the RAID drivers from floppy.
This works fine. However when I choose the partition above to install
WinXP, I get:

"...
However, this disk does not contain a Windows XP-compatible partition.
..."

For some reason, WinXP Setup doesn't accept this partition. Deleting and
recreating doesn't help. Formatting before running the WinXP Setup
doesn't solve the problem either.

I used the original Dell WinXP CD as well as a private one (both SP2).
Both show the same error!

I'm pretty stuck!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Georges Heinesch

Georges Heinesch

Sep 29, 2006, 7:03:36 PM9/29/06
Georges Heinesch wrote:

> Any ideas?

WinXP setup shows me the drive letters in strange order (C, J, E, F, G,
H, I). I would liek to install on "J".

- How can I change this into a "D"?
- Where are these drive letters stored? In the MBR?

Thanks,

--
Cu, Georges Heinesch

Rock

Sep 29, 2006, 7:30:22 PM9/29/06
"Georges Heinesch" wrote

> Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> Any ideas?
>
> WinXP setup shows me the drive letters in strange order (C, J, E, F, G, H,
> I). I would liek to install on "J".
>
> - How can I change this into a "D"?
> - Where are these drive letters stored? In the MBR?

Drive letter assignments are made by the OS when it boots, so two different
operating systems booting on the same hardware can assign different drive
letters.

From within XP drive letters can be changed from Disk Management, however,
the driver letter for the system and boot volumes cannot be changed.

How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844/

Drive letters assignments are not stored in the MBR.

Google search for drive letter assignments
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=drive+letter+assignments

--

Rock [ MVP User/Shell]

NoStop

Sep 29, 2006, 7:46:08 PM9/29/06
Georges Heinesch wrote:

> Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> Any ideas?
>
> WinXP setup shows me the drive letters in strange order (C, J, E, F, G,
> H, I). I would liek to install on "J".
>
> - How can I change this into a "D"?
> - Where are these drive letters stored? In the MBR?

Drive letters are not stored in the MBR. The whole concept of drive letters
is a WinDOS thing and a pecular idea to start with and a very restrictive
concept.

Cheers.

--
Linux is ready for the desktop! More ready than Windoze XP.
http://tinyurl.com/ldm9d

You just can't play games on Linux!
http://tinyurl.com/kgszl

Georges Heinesch

Sep 30, 2006, 2:44:20 AM9/30/06
NoStop wrote:

> Georges Heinesch wrote:
>
>> Georges Heinesch wrote:

>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> WinXP setup shows me the drive letters in strange order (C, J, E, F, G,
>> H, I). I would liek to install on "J".
>>
>> - How can I change this into a "D"?
>> - Where are these drive letters stored? In the MBR?
>
> Drive letters are not stored in the MBR. The whole concept of drive letters
> is a WinDOS thing and a pecular idea to start with and a very restrictive
> concept.

I expected that drive letters are not stored in the MBR.

However, which priciple serves WinXP setup (or any Windows setup)
started from a BootCD to show drive letters when it comes to selecting
the partition where Windows should be installed?

Same question for other DOS utilities, like Acronis TrueImage started
from DOS (BootCD). It also assigns drive letters (for some reason) to
the partitions. Why is this useful and how is the order of the letters
determined.

Georges Heinesch

Sep 30, 2006, 2:47:24 AM9/30/06

I'm talking of drive letter assignments during DOS operation (e.g.
started from BootCD, WinXP setup, ...). These drive letters have nothing
to do with drive letters assigned during runtime of Windows (which I
know how to change). I'd like to know how DOS distributes these drive
letters.

Rock

Sep 30, 2006, 6:34:22 AM9/30/06
"Georges Heinesch" wrote

Reread what you asked. You didn't make it clear what you wanted. Because
of that I gave you several reference links to handle the various
possibilities. One was how to change drive letters in XP, and the other was
a Google search that lists multiple links that explain how drive letters
are assigned. How about reading some of them?.

--

Rock [ MVP User/Shell]

NoStop

Sep 30, 2006, 9:33:00 AM9/30/06
Georges Heinesch wrote:

Acronis TrueImage recovery disk is actually running Linux. It assigns drive
letters to keep Windoze users more comfortable with working with
partitions. The same reason it presents a window that looks like the
classic Windoze XP window.

I assume that TI is assigning drive letters the way DOS would assign drive
letters. Assignments are based on the following formula:

1. Assign the drive letter 'A' to the boot floppy, and 'B' to the
secondary floppy.
2. Assign a drive letter, beginning with 'C' to the first active primary
partition recognized upon the first physical hard disk.
3. Assign subsequent drive letters to the first primary partition upon
each successive physical hard disk drive, if present within the system.
4. Assign subsequent drive letters to every recognized logical partition,
beginning with the first hard drive and proceeding through successive
physical hard disk drives, if present within the system.
5. Assign subsequent drive letters to any additional floppy, CD/DVD
drives.

The problem with drive letters is that unless you're aware of the formula
for assigning them, you wouldn't have any idea about what real physical
partition they're talking about. The problem is further compounded when
using Windoze in that once you've installed something on a particular
partition (drive letter) changing that drive letter later will break the
application and Windoze XP makes it extremely easy to shuffle around drive
letter assignments through its disk management utility.

Cheers.

> Thanks,

Georges Heinesch

Sep 30, 2006, 11:38:10 AM9/30/06
Rock wrote:
> "Georges Heinesch" wrote

> Reread what you asked. You didn't make it clear what you wanted.
> Because of that I gave you several reference links to handle the various
> possibilities. One was how to change drive letters in XP, and the other
> was a Google search that lists multiple links that explain how drive
> letters are assigned. How about reading some of them?.

You're right. I didn't specify that I was talking about the WinXO
installation (I said "setup"). Anyway, the source of the problem is
detected. I'm presently working on a solution how to fix it. I'll post
the outcome!

Georges Heinesch

Sep 30, 2006, 11:51:46 AM9/30/06
NoStop wrote:
> Georges Heinesch wrote:

> The problem with drive letters is that unless you're aware of the formula
> for assigning them, you wouldn't have any idea about what real physical
> partition they're talking about. The problem is further compounded when
> using Windoze in that once you've installed something on a particular
> partition (drive letter) changing that drive letter later will break the
> application and Windoze XP makes it extremely easy to shuffle around drive
> letter assignments through its disk management utility.

Thanks for this detailed information. However I believe I found the
problem. It had to do with the RAID drivers and/or BIOS of my Dell.

I'm still trying to nail down the problem, but the drive letters were
apparently innocent.

Rock

Sep 30, 2006, 8:45:49 PM9/30/06
"Georges Heinesch"wrote

Ok, great.

--

Rock [ MVP User/Shell]

Georges Heinesch

Oct 2, 2006, 3:50:22 AM10/2/06
Georges Heinesch wrote:

> I'm pretty stuck!
>
> Any ideas?

The problem was, that my Dell XPS700 was connected via USB to the
monitor, which had a media cardreader. This showed up as 2 drives!

Well ... this must be known!

Bye,

--
Georges Heinesch