WinXP updates not working

Chris May

Aug 11, 2006, 1:10:27 PM8/11/06
I changed Automatic Updates from being turned off to the "Download updates for
me, but let me choose when to install them" setting. Each time I've turned on
the computer for the past few days a small yellow shield pops up in the system
tray saying the updates are being downloaded. But the shield disappears after
about 30 seconds and nothing is downloaded.

Is this a normal situation? I do seem to recall somewhere in one of the dark
and cobwebbed recesses of my brain that this may have happened before, but the
updates did eventually download.

Of course, I could just go to Windows Update and install the way I used to, but
I was wondering if something might be wrong with my computer or at least with a
setting or two.

Thanks for any help.

ChrisM

PA Bear

Aug 11, 2006, 1:20:02 PM8/11/06
Absent any errors from your Windowsupdate.log, I'll suggest that, like many
around the world, you are seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the
servers. It can take up to 7 days for the hundreds of millions of Automatic
Update users to get new updates.

You can try downloading/installing 'em via Windows/Microsoft Update page but
understand that by doing so, you're pushing all of the other Automatic
Updates users further back in the queue (which may explain, at least in
part, why Automatic Updates hasn't brought them in for you yet).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Will Denny

Aug 11, 2006, 1:24:28 PM8/11/06
Hi

You may like to check with the Windows Update News Group:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate or
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Chris May" <Chr...@shangri-la.com> wrote in message

Chris May

Aug 11, 2006, 4:11:02 PM8/11/06
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:20:02 -0400, PA Bear pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| Absent any errors from your Windowsupdate.log, I'll suggest that, like many
| around the world, you are seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the
| servers. It can take up to 7 days for the hundreds of millions of Automatic
| Update users to get new updates.

It appears that's precisely the problem. When I checked the log file, I found
the following statement each time the shield had shown up and then disappeared:

"Update is not allowed to download due to regulation."

Googling that took me to the Microsoft site, which explained it's due to an
overloaded server situation and can occur for several days after new updates are
made available.

It's a second computer that I seldom go online with anyhow, so updates aren't as
important for that as for my main system. I'll just wait until the smoke
clears. ;)

Thanks for your help!

ChrisM

PA Bear

Aug 11, 2006, 4:18:19 PM8/11/06
YW!

antioch

Aug 11, 2006, 5:02:04 PM8/11/06
"Will Denny" <will...@mvps.org> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> You may like to check with the Windows Update News Group:
>
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate or
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

Hi Will
Yes and its almost as depressing as reading the thirty odd + as many
associated problems with this latest lot of Black Tuesday downloads, over in
the discussion groups - that is if you can bear to use the web interface.
Mind you some are duplicated here in the group update.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?pg=1&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&fltr=

I don't know whether to have a good drink to numb the senses or have a sniff
of smelling salts to get alert before I start on this months downloads -
nine of the little darlings - though one appears to be for servers. Why
have I got that?
Rgds
Antioch

antioch

Aug 11, 2006, 5:18:13 PM8/11/06

"Chris May" <Chr...@shangri-la.com> wrote in message

Chris
Try this - it works for me.
Go direct to MS download - let it run in Custom - pick the first on offer -
read what its about(if you have time or want to)- download/reboot if asked -
I wait a couple of hours then do the next. Some do one each day :-)
I have found this avoids the 'traffic jam' and one hopes it allows you time
to find out if it has settled itself into the system. If it don't work
delete it. Restore system. Return to MS updates and stick it in the Hidden
Folder, if it is still on offer. You can then resurrect it when a fix or a
solution is available.
As an additional precaution, I make an entry in System Restore.
I never download en-block - never again.
Some will think/say this is perhaps stupid or whatever - but I bet those who
do have their own little 'quirky' pet 'I like to do it this way' ideas.
Happy downloading
Antioch

Chris May

Aug 14, 2006, 6:49:40 PM8/14/06
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:18:13 +0100, antioch pondered exceedingly, then took

quill in hand and carefully composed...

| Try this - it works for me.

| Go direct to MS download - let it run in Custom - pick the first on offer -
| read what its about(if you have time or want to)- download/reboot if asked -
| I wait a couple of hours then do the next. Some do one each day :-)
| I have found this avoids the 'traffic jam' and one hopes it allows you time
| to find out if it has settled itself into the system. If it don't work
| delete it. Restore system. Return to MS updates and stick it in the Hidden
| Folder, if it is still on offer. You can then resurrect it when a fix or a
| solution is available.
| As an additional precaution, I make an entry in System Restore.
| I never download en-block - never again.
| Some will think/say this is perhaps stupid or whatever - but I bet those who
| do have their own little 'quirky' pet 'I like to do it this way' ideas.
| Happy downloading

The first update file to download was Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803v2), but it
wouldn't install. I kept getting the message "Updates were unable to be
successfully installed." But with the aid of Method 2 on this Microsoft page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907749/en-us

KB893803v2 finally got installed correctly. Of course, I then had to copy newer
msi files from the dll cache to Windows\system32 to get Add or Remove Programs,
Intellipoint32 and who knows how much other stuff working again. But updates
then started downloading, so everything seems OK now. :)

Thanks to all for the help!

ChrisM