Dual boot WinXP and Win98

Pat

Dec 17, 2001, 3:08:10 PM12/17/01
I want to install WinXP in my C partition and Win98 in another partition
that can be deleted at point in the future when I don't want or need it.
Can this be done??

c:> WinXp Pro
d:> Win98SE

I've read lots on installing Win98 first (ususally in C:>\)and XP will
install for dual boot in another partition and it is straight forward.

Pat Lafontaine
scrapp...@home.com

To reply remove the _spam in the return address

KSB

Dec 17, 2001, 7:27:34 PM12/17/01
Yes, but make sure the C drive is formatted fat32. After you get rid of 98,
you can (if you want) convert the C drive to NTSF.

KSB
"Pat" <scrappyp...@home.com> wrote in message

Pat

Dec 17, 2001, 8:13:30 PM12/17/01
Sorry maybe I asked the question wrong, as I don't understand your answer. If I
have a single HD with 2 partitions C and D, I know that if I install Win98 on C
drive, when I install XP on D drive it will setup for a dual boot environment.
But I thought that Win 98 knows nothing about dual booting, so if I install XP
first on C drive then Win98 on D drive, I won't see a an option to dual boot.

If I use FDISK I know I can setup the partitions, as I have this many times.
Could you provide a few more details one the steps I need to take?

pat

Nutcase

Dec 17, 2001, 9:18:26 PM12/17/01
Hi Pat,

Setup both C and D as FAT32. Run Win98 setup, use custom mode and install it
to D:\windows. This will place the system files on D and the boot files on
C.

Boot Win98, insert the WinXP CD and choose to install it to another
partition - namely C. This will install WinXP and it's boot loader to C and
setup the dual-boot.

You need to do it in this order unless you want to go with a third party
boot manager.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
Associate Expert - Windows XP
Please reply only to newsgroup...

"Pat" <scrappyp...@home.com> wrote in message

Pat