Hangup when boot

Roelf

Apr 6, 2007, 6:28:03 AM4/6/07
My notebook is hanging for several minutes whenever I reboot. I investigated
with event viewer and found that the driver
c:\windows\system32\drivers\szkg.sys does not load.

Event Viewer: System: (The following boot-start or system-start driver(s)
failed to load: szkg)

I searched the registry to find out what is this, and notice it is a driver
of some kind.
I opened device manager and went through each and every device to find this
driver but I could not find any device using this driver.

I checked out c:\Windows\system32\drivers and found the file is missing.

I can not locate such a file on the microsoft website to download and it is
not on the original Windows XP installation CD disk nor on the original HP
driver disk.

How can I fix this problem?

Please be so kind as to give me directions.

Thanks and regards

Roelf

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 6, 2007, 6:41:59 AM4/6/07
"Roelf" <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> My notebook is hanging for several minutes whenever I reboot. I investigated
> with event viewer and found that the driver
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\szkg.sys does not load.

Do you have Stopzilla (un)installed?

Bye,
Freudi

Rock

Apr 6, 2007, 7:47:55 PM4/6/07
"Roelf" <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

Google is a good resource when investigating what a file might be associated
with.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=szkg.sys

One of the links is:
http://www.file.net/process/szkg.sys.html

If you don't have Stopzilla it could be associated with some malware.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]