Internet Explorer title bar all question marks...again!!!!! (????????????????????????)

Dave

Sep 8, 2004, 7:01:21 AM9/8/04
I actually posted a message about this a few days ago, but now have
noticed several other things.
I am having a strange problem with a Windows XP machine running IE6.
When I open a webpage, the only thing that appears in the title bar of
Internet Explorer is question marks. It looks like this:
"??????????4?????$???????"
I don`t notice anything unusual in the registry, and it seems to
function properly otherwise. The machine is running anti-virus, and the
definitions are up to date. We did install a program that uses Active X
to run just before this started happening, but we have installed this
program on many machines before without having this problem.
I also notice that when I visit different pages, the number of question
marks change, and there are a few strange characters along with the
question marks. And, if I open "My Computer" and type in an internet
address in the address bar, the title bar works just fine and there are
no question marks.
Any ideas?

MAP

Sep 8, 2004, 9:21:08 AM9/8/04

"Dave" wrote:

Hi Dave,I had this happen to me once and a simple reboot cured it.But if you
have been having this for several days you must have rebooted by now.
I don't know what caused it

MAP

Sep 8, 2004, 9:39:14 AM9/8/04

Dave

Sep 8, 2004, 9:44:16 AM9/8/04
Thanks. Yes, I `ve tried rebooting several times. It is really strange.
It is almost as if Internet Explorer is unable to understand the <title>
tag properly, or like a font is not installed that needs to be. Or maybe
even that IE is trying to display the title bar in a different language.

Dave

Sep 9, 2004, 1:38:11 PM9/9/04
Problem fixed! It turns out this person had an explorer bar called
"TurboPasswords Bar" enabled. I just clicked it off, and all was well
after closing and opening Internet Explorer again.

treaders

Jul 10, 2005, 12:56:41 PM7/10/05

I have a similar problem with the Internet Explorer title bar except
that I have square boxes in my title bar that look like this:

&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;&#61568;

Any ideas how to resolve this issue. I have tried turning off all the
Toolbars that I have loaded but this did not resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Ben

--
treaders

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Jul 11, 2005, 12:06:51 AM7/11/05
Windows XP: Internet Explorer (6.0) Title Bar Information Apparently Corrupt
as it Appears in Taskbar:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21423139.html

Windows XP: Internet explorer taskbar title:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21419123.html

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org