Install XP on an External Hard Drive ???

Please

Dec 24, 2004, 2:33:30 PM12/24/04
Hi ... Please answer this question and also please be
absolutely sure of your answer ... Is there any way
possible to install windows onto an external hard
drive ??? If yes , Please provide details in how its
done ... If no , Please provide why it possibly can't be
done ... Thank you so much to all that answers my
question ...

Happy Holidays To All...

Bert Kinney

Dec 24, 2004, 3:24:16 PM12/24/04

Bob Delaney explains it very well.
http://snipurl.com/bkvc

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Kenny S

Dec 24, 2004, 3:39:37 PM12/24/04
try using www.osloader.com as a boot manager.

"Bert Kinney" <be...@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

Kenny S

Dec 24, 2004, 3:52:08 PM12/24/04
From the OSLOADER.com site:
a..
a.. Lets you boot Windows (all versions) from logical partitions.
a.. Lets you boot Windows (all versions) from the second hard disk.

"Kenny S" <hot...@coldmail.com> wrote in message

Rock

Dec 24, 2004, 4:09:27 PM12/24/04
Please wrote:

No it can't be done.

Peter

Dec 24, 2004, 4:22:13 PM12/24/04
> Please wrote:
>> Hi ... Please answer this question and also please be
>> absolutely sure of your answer ... Is there any way
>> possible to install windows onto an external hard
>> drive ??? If yes , Please provide details in how its
>> done ... If no , Please provide why it possibly can't be
>> done ... Thank you so much to all that answers my
>> question ...
>>
>> Happy Holidays To All...

"Bert Kinney" <be...@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Bob Delaney explains it very well.
> http://snipurl.com/bkvc
>

> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/

As Bob Delaney explains in the link that Bert referred you to, you cannot
*directly* install Windows XP onto a USB external hard drive. But you can,
using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost, clone your
internal hard drive containing the XP OS to a external hard drive. And the
contents of that cloned USB EHD could be cloned back to your internal HD
should you wish to restore the latter. Whether this might be useful to you
in your situation I do not know.

I should add that a USB EHD containing the XP OS is not bootable. Yes,
you'll probably hear or read that "A USB external hard drive is bootable as
long as the motherboard's BIOS supports this capability.", or words to that
effect. All I can tell you is that based upon my experience with working
with a fair number of motherboards that presumably included this
"capability", neither I nor my colleagues have ever been able to boot to a
USB EHD containing the XP OS. I have been unable to come across a single
authoritative and confirmed example of a bootable USB EHD involving XP.
There is an indication that Microsoft is encouraging motherboard
manufacturers to truly provide this capability (see
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usb-boot.mspx#EGAA although it
is curious that in that same article Microsoft states "Windows as it exists
today is not optimized to run as an installed operating system from USB
attached mass-storage or CD.")

Art

Rock

Dec 24, 2004, 4:38:14 PM12/24/04

Yves Leclerc

Dec 24, 2004, 7:03:39 PM12/24/04
Not with Parallel or USB set-ups.

External ATA/SATA/SCSI drive set ups may work!

"Rock" <ro...@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

CS

Dec 24, 2004, 8:30:26 PM12/24/04
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:52:08 +0200, "Kenny S" <hot...@coldmail.com>
wrote:

While that's true for "osloader", note that the question is for a
drive that is external. As a matter of fact, any good boot manager
should be able to boot from a logical drive or second hard disk. See
BING at:

www.terabyteunlimited.com

As far as I know, there isn't a boot loader or manager that can boot
XP from an external drive.

Richard Urban

Dec 25, 2004, 12:27:14 AM12/25/04
It can't be done because Windows XP won't allow it!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)