Windows XP Pro - right click context menu hangs up

Rob

Sep 14, 2004, 7:03:46 PM9/14/04
My right click context menu does not work when I try to use it on a drive
letter. When I am in the explorer mode my right click menu operates as it
should. That is until I try right clicking on any of my drive letters C:\,
D:\, E:\ and so on. Instead of operating properly at those times, the hour
glass appears and remains until I kill it via the task manager. The right
click menu displays the very same behavior when I try using it in the "My
Computer" mode. Everything functions as it should until I try it on a drive
letter. I have not made changes of any kind that I can relate to this
behavior. I've researched help files, NGs, etc. and have not found the
answer. My OS is Windows XP Pro. Can someone please help?

Many thanks in advance, Rob

David Candy

Sep 14, 2004, 7:21:57 PM9/14/04
Drives inherit all of Folder's settings and from AllFileSystem settings.

Therefore,

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFileSystem\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

What's under here in the registry (type regedit in Start Run)

(it's normally caused by contextmenuhandlers)

War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html