XP Clock Glitch

Mike

May 31, 2002, 9:37:29 AM5/31/02
Everytime XP goes into screensaver mode, the clock stops
working for som reason and it slows down. For example
last night the screensaver caem on at 10:30pm and i
dodn't touch the computer till this morning. When I got
it said the times was 5:30am, when it really was 9:30am.
It keeps happening. Is there anything I can do to stop
from happening? Thanks for your help.
-Mike

Jason Tsang

May 31, 2002, 12:10:44 PM5/31/02
Try this

1. Start->Run cmd.exe
2. net stop w32time
3. w32tm /unregister [ignore error message]
4. w32tm /unregister
5. w32tm /register
6. net start w32time

This is a very common issue that Dell computers have (though other makes may have the same problem too).

DELL imaged the OS from one machine and installed in on a batch of machines notably with different CPU speeds. Information about the imaged machine's processor clock is stored in the registry. The defect is that windows should detect that the processor is different and should refresh the registry entry. The steps above force that to happen.

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;MVPINTRO

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone