harddrive problems

PEACEMAKER

Jun 22, 2004, 12:30:03 PM6/22/04
here is my drive config

ide0: 20gig maxtor - drive c
ide0-secondary: 40gig WD drive d (windows installation)
ide1: 40gig ibm - drive e (swap is on this drive)
ide1-secondary - cd burner

promise controller
slot0: 80gig maxtor - drive j
slot1: 120gig maxtor - drive k

now sometimes when drive j is busy (copying files or viewing thumbnails) the
system will freeze up sometimes I'll have to reboot because explorer just
gets stuck while existing apps run just fine. The event viewer shows

Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, did not respond within the timeout
period.
Warning: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
operation.

about 30 seconds later (this is probably when I notice the freeze)

Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, is not ready for access yet.
Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

Now I'm not sure wtf is going on here and which drive is bad, if any drive
is bad at all. The names windows gives the drives is sort of stupid I can't
figure out which drives are causing the errors. Or which controller (the one
on motherboard or the promise controller). I know this happens when I'm
using drive j (I don't use drive k that much to notice anything) but what is
\Device\Harddisk0\D? is it my drive D and why would it give me problems when
I'm using drive j? the swap file is on drive e

my mobo is asus with nvidia chipset

R. McCarty

Jun 22, 2004, 12:40:43 PM6/22/04
Which Promise controller are you using ?, Is it an on-board
motherboard controller or an add-in PCI card.

Windows identifies the Promise as a SCSI controller which
is normal. You may have issues with IRQ mapping. The
normal IDE0/IDE1 are going to use IRQ's #14 & #15. You
need to check and see how the Promise controller IRQ(s)
are mapped. IRQ's have a native priority handling order. IF
the promise uses a lower priority interrupt, you may have
problems with PCI Bus contention. It's likely that XP has
the Promise controller using IRQ #10 which is common for
SCSI controllers.

I would do a Chkdsk /R on all your drives, just to make sure
no disk errors are present.

Just a FYI: with that number of Drives in your system you
may need a heftier power supply and possibly some additional
cooling.

"PEACEMAKER" <do.not...@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message

PEACEMAKER

Jun 22, 2004, 1:11:22 PM6/22/04
it is a PCI promise ultra 133 tx2 card with the .42 driver. Related
question, would it possible to get an AMD motherboard that supports all my 6
ide drives without the extra PCI controller? Everywhere I look most
motherboard only support up to 4 ide devices. I've seen others with SATA
raid but I don't have SATA drives

IRQ LIST
--------
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 3 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller OK
IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface OK
IRQ 20 NVIDIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 Hauppauge WinTV 878/9 WDM Video Driver OK
IRQ 11 Hauppauge WinTV 878/9 WDM Aux Driver OK
IRQ 16 WinXP Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller OK
IRQ 14 NVIDIA NForce 2(tm) SPP/IGP ATA Controller OK
IRQ 15 NVIDIA NForce 2(tm) SPP/IGP ATA Controller OK
IRQ 19 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X OK
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK

Conflicts/Sharing
-----------------
Resource Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller

IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 22 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

Memory Address 0xDC000000-0xDCFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xDC000000-0xDCFFFFFF Hauppauge WinTV 878/9 WDM Video Driver

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000DFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000DFFF WinXP Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE
Controller

Memory Address 0xDD000000-0xDEFFFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xDD000000-0xDEFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWor...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

PEACEMAKER

Jun 22, 2004, 1:16:25 PM6/22/04
forgot to add, I have a 450W powersupply, open case and the hds haven't
shown any disk problems. I didn't run a full scan because of the controller
issues

"PEACEMAKER" <do.not...@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message

R. McCarty

Jun 22, 2004, 1:29:08 PM6/22/04
I haven't seen a recent Motherboard that can handle 6 IDE drives.
I suspect there are ways to use a new motherboard for that. Most
that have SATA connectors can be used with PATA drives, by
using a IDE-to-SATA adapter ($16.00).

With IDE, you are always going to be dealing with Master/Slave
contention. That's why SATA has only device per channel.

Even with new SATA, I've stayed with a SCSI Drive system. It
allows up to 15 drivers per channel and my average access time
is around 5-5.5 Milliseconds. With SCSI drives, I can reach an
average burst data rate of 57 Meg - which nearly tops out the PCI
bus maximum. However, the big downside to SCSI is always the
cost. Since it's mostly used in Enterprise settings the cost is still
pretty high. SCSI technology has probably peaked at Ultra-320
as it will be going to the new iSCSI technology very soon.

While your system obviously has advanced IRQ routing, you are
stretching the capabilities with that number of IDE drives.

I would probably cut back those drives to just two of the largest.
Create an Extended partition and then create logical drives based
on simultaneous usage. That's a lot of different physical drives for
a desktop system. If you are using Flat-80pin cables, I suspect the
airflow in the system is probably restricted as well.

Alex Nichol

Jun 23, 2004, 9:52:34 AM6/23/04
PEACEMAKER wrote:

>Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, did not respond within the timeout
>period.
>Warning: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
>operation.
>
>about 30 seconds later (this is probably when I notice the freeze)
>
>Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, is not ready for access yet.
>Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
>
>Now I'm not sure wtf is going on here and which drive is bad, if any drive
>is bad at all.

The SCSI indicates the non-board controller, the Promise one, and the
trouble is either in its hardware or more probably in its drivers. And
it will be the primary connector on that card. I'd check for more recent
drivers at the Promise site - and use theirs rather than ones from the
MSoft site. I use an old Promise card, but for a CD writer rather than
hard disk

Bournemouth, U.K. Al...@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)