Windows Explorer adds extra desktop icons

Kirk

May 5, 2006, 2:17:44 PM5/5/06
I just got a new computer (Dell) with Windows XP SP2 installed. A
wierd phenomenon keeps occurring within Windows Explorer.

Periodically, explorer will flash briefly and I will see multiple icons
(about 4 or 5) for my Desktop added to the folder list on the left.
These are real links - if I click on them, I see items on my desktop.
However, the icons for these "desktop" icons are for Recycle bin,
desktop, explorer, and a yellow folder icon.

Additonally, Explorer no longer properly displays the folder tree view
for sub-folders. As I navigate through folders, they are updated in
the file list on the right, but the tree view on the left does not
display the sub-folders.

This has probably happened to someone else, but I am having a hard time
researching this. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanx!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 5, 2006, 11:15:04 PM5/5/06
This happens if you've enabled the "Desktop" toolbar in the Taskbar. AFAIK,
no resolution available as of yet. See if disabling the Desktop toolbar
helps.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Kirk" <lok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Plato

May 6, 2006, 4:07:02 PM5/6/06
Kirk wrote:

> I just got a new computer (Dell) with Windows XP SP2 installed. A
> wierd phenomenon keeps occurring within Windows Explorer.

Request that your PC supplier provide a pc that works. If they cant,
then do a chargeback.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Kirk

May 8, 2006, 9:25:17 AM5/8/06
Ramesh,

You might be on the right track. I DID have the "Desktop" toolbar
enabled in the taskbar. I disabled that and I will see if the problem
resurfaces (it only happened sporatically). It's annoying that this
happens on my one computer - I have two other computers with this
option enabled & they have never experienced this issue.

Thank you very much for your reply!
Kirk