errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Terry

Oct 17, 2002, 5:45:18 PM10/17/02

I ran chkdsk and I get this error in the volume bitmap,
whatever that is, and follow the instructions to use
the "F" switch with the chkdsk command and reboot. After
which I still get the error, which is this when I run
chkdsk again;

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)
Security descriptor verification completed.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

Anyone know what this is about, and if it is a problem,
fix? I don't seem to have anything going wrong, but I do
believe in preventative maintenance.

Terry

Oct 17, 2002, 11:16:01 PM10/17/02
Update,

I read some in the Help and Support, and tried running
CHKDSK from the recovery console and ran the chkdsk /r. It
took a while and when finished, stated it had fixed errors
on the disk. Then when I run just chkdsk again in the
command prompt, it says this,

File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.

CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP
attribute.

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

What is the bitmap error, and now that it shpws this in
the master file table's bitmap attr., what does that mean,
and does anyone know a fix? My hardrive is ok, that I
know, and another help site said I need to format, and I
really don't want to go there.

Dr. Sysop

Oct 17, 2002, 11:23:16 PM10/17/02
Hi Terry ,

AHH another one with the same problem! yes have the same problem. If I use
chkdsk /f have to shut & power up then i get disk check cancelled & i never
did. then i do a chkdsk without the /f then says on mine

found errors in the volume bitmap
windows found errors in the file system
use chkdsk /f to fix it which i cannot wither cause it aborts. Let me know
if you get a fix & i do the same.

"Terry" <Te...@nomailhere.com> wrote in message

Terry

Oct 17, 2002, 11:31:20 PM10/17/02

Hi,

Mine didn't cancel at all, rather it finished, but stated
things were fixed, both using the reboot and chkdsk /f,
and in the recovery console chkdsk /r. But when I run the
read-only chkdsk from the command prompt (while in running
Windows), it states the bitmap errors, mFT, etc. Your
problem sounds worse, and I hope someone here will have a
good solution for us.

Terry

Oct 20, 2002, 2:08:38 AM10/20/02
Wow,

3 days, and no answers to this problem. Can anyone at
least, say what this problem represent?

>.

Dr. Sysop

Oct 20, 2002, 2:38:55 AM10/20/02
Well I finally got Mickeysoft to call back & they said it's an issue there
working on. If you do a chkdsk /r in recovery colsole mode & get no errors
go by that not the chkdsk in windows or the chkdsk /f either cause it causes
it to abort as soon as it starts windows having problem un mounting the hard
drive @ bootup to do a /f. It sems alot of users having this problem but it
doesent affect the performance of the computer it's a error in windows XP
Pro OEM & also in some Home Edition OEM also. SP1 isnt affected by it just a
bug from XP Home/Pro OEM editions.

"Terry" <Te...@nomailhere.com> wrote in message

Terry

Oct 20, 2002, 3:04:33 AM10/20/02

Well, as I said in the my second post, (I think to you),
CHKDSK didn't cancel out on me as it did you, it completed
in every phase. Recovery Console "CHKDSK /R" showed the
same result as the command promt does with just CHKDSK. I
am wondering how you got help from Microsoft (calling them
Mickeysoft makes me wonder why you use MS products,
nothing personal) since you say they claim it is an OEM
problem. Why wouldn't the seller of the OEM handle that as
I thought MS doesn't support OEMs?

Dr. Sysop

Oct 20, 2002, 3:15:53 AM10/20/02
Micorshit made the buggy xp, I have a full version of XP pro not form a
company (dell, gateway etc) a Microsoft OEM CD. But according to them it was
in their CD's & also they say Sony & NEC had the same problems. As soon as
they get a fix for it they eill put it in support. It's not affecting the
system so if you get ok in recovery go with that. I used 43d party programs
I used norton 2003 & no dice but had good luck with Ontrack Fix-it it
utilitd 4.0 it doesnt find errors liek recovery so i stick with it till they
fix the problem.

"Terry" <Te...@nomailhere.com> wrote in message

Terry

Oct 20, 2002, 3:26:59 PM10/20/02

Well, I guess that is the answer, but I couldn't find nary
a hint regarding this issue in the MS KB. I am assuming
you are not making this up about the OEMs. Still though,
your namecalling of MS makes me still wonder your
seriousness about using their products?

For now, I am giving up on this for a time. I am severely
disappointed that I asked this over 4 days ago, and with
all the MVPs and MS folks that help here, they didn't even
reply with a "I don't know what the problem means". At
least then I know where to stand with some kind of answer.
But to not get an answer, when I see others posting
getting answered sometimes with minutes of their request
for help really is a bummer!

Dr. Sysop

Oct 20, 2002, 3:38:13 PM10/20/02
Terry,

Sorry about name calling but it's just that they know the fix & allp but
don't want to admit to it. My XP is runnin' A-OK inspite of that error in
the volume Bipmap. Get Ontrack's Fix-It Utilities 4.0 www.ontrack.com & use
the disk checker there & it report no errors even in the full scan. Norton
2003 is ok but wants to do a restart & then like my problem it aborts as
soon as it starts. The other utility i used is ERD Commander 2002 & it make
a bootable CD then you can do a chkdsk in there & will unmount the Hard
Drive To Fix errors but it doesent find any errors. I heep you posted on
this issue as they will get back to me this week.

"Terry" <Te...@nomailhere.com> wrote in message

DLKR

Oct 20, 2002, 5:05:45 PM10/20/02
Terry
I just recently noticed the identical problem with my computer (using XP
Home) - exactly the same behavior as you described. Since I don't know
exactly when it started, I can't related the problem to anything I did (or
didn't do).

I couldn't find anything either re a solution and was working up to posting
something but you beat me to it.

The only thing I found that was somewhat relevant to this problem was
towards the end of the 7th paragraph under the "More Information" section of
MSKB article Q187941. If I'm reading it correctly, it sort of talks about
the reason for the problem; but doesn't say what to do to solve it.
Here's the article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q187/9/41.asp

Here's paragraph 7:

During its first pass, CHKDSK displays a message on the screen saying that
it is verifying files and counts from 0 to 100 percent complete. During this
phase, CHKDSK examines each file record segment (FRS) in the volume's master
file table (MFT). Every file and directory on an NTFS volume is uniquely
identified by a specific FRS in the MFT and the percent complete that CHKDSK
displays during this phase is the percent of the MFT that has been verified.
During this pass, CHKDSK examines each FRS for internal consistency and
builds two bitmaps, one representing what FRSs are in use, and the other
representing what clusters on the volume are in use. At the end of this
phase, CHKDSK knows what space is in use and what space is available both
within the MFT and on the volume as a whole. NTFS keeps track of this
information in bitmaps of its own that are stored on the disk allowing
CHKDSK to compare its results with NTFS's stored bitmaps. If there are
discrepancies, they are noted in CHKDSK's output. For example, if an FRS
that had been in use is found to be corrupted, the disk clusters formerly
associated with that FRS will end up being marked as available in CHKDSK's
bitmap, but will be marked as being "in use" according to NTFS's bitmap.

I'm also a little surprised that none of the MVPs have responded. I've only
been lurking in the XP NGs for a short time, but have been impressed with
the level of MVP support.
Guess there's no choice but to hang loose and see if Dr. Sysop is correct
about MS eventually releasing a fix.

"Terry" <Te...@nomailhere.com> wrote in message

snip

Jim Milner

Oct 29, 2002, 9:59:26 PM10/29/02
"Dr. Sysop" <AT...@555.1212> wrote in message news:<uQByLAHeCHA.1492@tkmsftngp09>...

You said:

"Sorry about name calling but it's just that they know the fix & allp
but don't want to admit to it."

I can attest to that fact. I've been struggling with this problem for
TWO WEEKS . . . my entire vacation!!! Microsoft has been very
unhelpful. They have yet to admit to me that it's a problem on their
end. I've read literally hundreds of posts both in Newgroups and at
Symantec support. Many, many folks are having this very same problem
and no one has a clue. This was the first post I've read that
indicates someone has actually heard MS say it's an issue they are
aware of. Sure as heck would have saved me a ton of time if they were
honest and forthright enough to own up to the problem.

If any of you guys hear more about this issue, please post on this
thread or email me . . . I'll do the same if I hear anything.

I've written MS support about my displeasure and what I've read here
and else where. I'll let you know what they say, if anything.

jim

Jim Milner

Nov 18, 2002, 10:49:08 PM11/18/02
Microsoft FINALLY responded honestly and cogently to my query . . . as
follows:

Dear Jim,

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your patience with me.

According to my research, I have included the following information for your
reference:
This problem occurs because when Chkdsk is run against an NTFS volume,
Chkdsk.exe may report that security descriptors are in the database that are
no longer referenced by any file or folder, and that it is removing them.
However, Chkdsk.exe just reclaims the unused security descriptors as a
housekeeping activity, and is not actually fixing any kind of problem.

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Windows. Fortunately, this
error message is an informational message, and can be safely ignored.

All NTFS volumes contain a security descriptor database. This database is
populated with security identifiers that represent unique permission
settings applied to files and folders. When files or folders have unique
NTFS permissions applied, NTFS stores a unique security descriptor once on
the volume, and also stores a pointer to the security descriptor on any file
or folder that references it.

If files or folders no longer use that unique security descriptor, NTFS does
not remove the unique security descriptor from the database, but instead,
keeps it cached. Like any caching strategy, you want to keep the cached
information as long as possible because it may be used again.

To determine if more serious problems exist before scheduling or running
Chkdsk.exe with the /f switch, run the "chkntfs <drive letter>:" (without
the quotation marks) command, where <drive letter> is the drive letter of
the drive you want to run the "chkdsk /f" (without the quotation marks)
command against. If this command reports that the "dirty bit" is set, there
may be real damage that needs to be fixed.

I am indeed sorry for the inconvenience that the issue has brought. Please
rest assured that I will not count this case against your free incidents
pool. I appreciate your time, patience and understanding in this case.

Best Regards,

John Zhang
Support Engineer
Microsoft Windows Online Support
mailto:joh...@microsoft.com

Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let my manager or me know
what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to
Microsoft Management at
mailto:mana...@microsoft.com?subject=GTEC_Windows_Feedback or directly to
my manager, Jin Zhou at mailto:jin...@microsoft.com.

Date: 2002-01-31 09:05:10 PST
Hi Tim, I got a response from a developer last night that should clear
things up:

"These are cleanup. They are not corruption. They happen naturally as the
system is being used. It does not harm anything if you leave them on the
disk.

If the dirty bit is not set, a full blown chkdsk will not be run on the
drive at startup. But as I explained above, the inconsistencies are minor
and do not warrant a chkdsk run at startup. So it is indeed appropriate
that
the dirty bit is not set and chkdsk is not run at startup."

Yours is the first report I've seen of these "clean-up" issues, so I'll
make
sure this gets documented for future releases. I'm sorry you spent so much
time troubleshooting phantom errors. I think this has been a learning
experience for both of us!"

Problem Description: I'm feeling a tad flummoxed, even miffed over this
situation. I've spent the full two weeks of my vacation trying to resolve
this problem. I've recently found, and READ, 137 hits in Google's Groups
(news group search) which all express having the same irresolvable problem
as I'm having. This is not an isolated problem. I've read in Symantec
support section many, many folks that are having this problem. All these
folks have very different systems and configurations which indicates that
the problem probably is grounded in XP itself. Several postings stated that
Microsoft support told them that this is a "known issue." This is where I
started to feel upset. You see, you guys have never told me this nor
indicated that you're working on a fix (this again is mentioned in the
postings). This information would have saved me HUGE amounts of time,
anguish, work, etc.

I would greatly appreciate being dealt with in a forthright, honest and
open manner. Please let me know what's up with this issue."

If you've actually read through all this you can see that I've felt
frustrated with the lack of appropriate response to my comments and
questions. If "Satisfied customers are . . . [your] top priority" then an
answer in kind would be greatly appreciated.

jim

Robert T

Nov 19, 2002, 12:38:48 AM11/19/02
It says something similar in Help & Support also ;-)

Cheers

"Jim Milner" <m...@null.net> wrote in message

Jim Milner

Nov 19, 2002, 3:56:29 AM11/19/02
That must be new 'cause MS support had a heck of a time finding the proper
info as did I. The support tech said he would let the proper folds know
about the need to post on this issue . . . they must have put something up

"Robert T" <ne...@so.not.required> wrote in message

Robert T

Nov 19, 2002, 4:29:39 AM11/19/02
Nope, I read up on this first long ago, similar to issues in Windows 2000
chkdsk. I have posted here a number of times with information pointing out
that these errors are of no concern.

Cheers

"Jim Milner" <m...@null.net> wrote in message

Jim Milner

Nov 19, 2002, 1:10:22 PM11/19/02
Hummm. Odd. I saw/read a lot of stuff on chkdsk for both 2K and XP (esp.
2k) and was sent more stuff by MS tech support and none of it said anything
about it being OK to ignore such errors. Oh well, too bad MS and I both
missed those articles, would have saved me a bunch of time.

Thanks again!

jim