really slow computer really getting really annoying...really

@hotmail.com roro

Nov 29, 2003, 11:50:40 PM11/29/03
hmm..i have a Toshiba laptop Pentium 4 M 1.9GHz, 512MB RAM, 64MB graphic
card, 60GB HDD, etc etc. but it doesnt ACT like it..

recently, my comps' been getting sluggish and sluggisher...it's terrible,
programs load slowly, (i HAVE defragmented), and (this is the prob that
annoys me most) when i open a new file/prog, if i'm listening in the
background, the music breaks up as the file opens...it is really annoying..

in addition to this, even movies come out choppy sometimes...i've got 512mb
ram for crying out loud! and it's a 1.9GHz processor! it's acting like my
old 450 pentium III....

the "task manager" of XP puts "processor usage" at a constant 100%...not one
dip...SHOULD this be the case?? how do I check that the processor is working
properly? in System in Control Panel it does say Pentium 4 M 1.89GHz, but
that's it...any ideas?

thanks,
ro

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Nov 29, 2003, 11:56:33 PM11/29/03
Follow this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/Slowcom.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

"roro" <zsb_don @ hotmail.com> wrote in message

@hotmail.com roro

Nov 30, 2003, 3:52:49 AM11/30/03
yyeeahh no not so helpful..i've already done all that it says, that's the
thing...thanks 4 ur help tho.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_...@hotnomail.com> wrote in message

Paul Heslop

Nov 30, 2003, 6:46:08 AM11/30/03
roro wrote:

Did you look down the processes in task manager to see which one was running at
%100 or thereabouts? Mine tended to be an svchost and it happened after I tried
to install a wireless network. It worked fine for a few days then started doing
this. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it on a number of occasions and it
has always gone to %100 cpu usage within a day of install.

--
Paul.
to look at

Quaoar

Nov 30, 2003, 12:11:43 PM11/30/03

In addition to other suggestions, delete the *contents only* of
C:\Windows\Prefetch. Prefetch can get corrupted or out of date and
cause slow performance. It will be rebuilt based on your current
application usage.

Also, verify from Event Viewer that there are no repeating errors,
particularly the HD write events. Check the IDE controllers/Primary and
Secondary IDE channels in Device Manager to verify that the HD and
CD/DVD are operating in the expected DMA modes.

EARLE

Nov 30, 2003, 1:28:46 PM11/30/03
Paul Heslop <paul....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3FC9D87D...@blueyonder.co.uk>...

disk clean and disk defrag routinely. in internet explorer's
tools.options,set history to 0 and clear temp files on closing.
set all apps that aren't needed at start up to manual start. use
registry cleaner [http://snurl.com/1w0f] to remove from start up list
[click start up tab].
shutdown I.M. and put that on manual start up.
in short,rid yourself of all files that rob you of memory by running
in the background.