How can I stop IE7 from intercepting FTP commands?

John Corliss

Jul 10, 2009, 5:17:11 AM7/10/09
Whenever I click on an ftp link in an email or in a newsgroup post,
Internet Explorer opens. How can I stop this from happening? Yes, I have
Googled extensively and nothing that I found works.

--
John Corliss

Singapore Computer Service

Jul 10, 2009, 6:03:14 AM7/10/09
Hello,

Modify what happens on clicking FTP addresses at this registry location

Start > Run > Regedit > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell

Clear the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open\command key if you want nothing
to happen. Make a backup of the key in case you want to restore it

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL
"John Corliss" <q34w...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 10, 2009, 12:57:35 PM7/10/09
See
http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/2009/04/16/ftp-and-internet-explorer-what-to-do-what-to-do.aspx
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

John Corliss

Jul 10, 2009, 1:50:21 PM7/10/09
Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> John Corliss wrote:
>> Whenever I click on an ftp link in an email or in a newsgroup post,
>> Internet Explorer opens. How can I stop this from happening? Yes, I have
>> Googled extensively and nothing that I found works.
>
> Hello,
> Modify what happens on clicking FTP addresses at this registry location
>
> Start > Run > Regedit > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell
>
> Clear the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open\command key if you want nothing
> to happen. Make a backup of the key in case you want to restore it

Yes, I tried that one. And what's really strange is that the value for
that key is:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -requestPending -osint
-url "%1"

Clearing that value made no difference whatsoever.

--
John Corliss

John Corliss

Jul 10, 2009, 2:24:13 PM7/10/09
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
John Corliss wrote:
>> Whenever I click on an ftp link in an email or in a newsgroup post,
>> Internet Explorer opens. How can I stop this from happening? Yes, I
>> have Googled extensively and nothing that I found works.
>
> See
> http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/2009/04/16/ftp-and-internet-explorer-what-to-do-what-to-do.aspx

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the correct newsgroup.

I checked out the info at the link you provided, but there is no
"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IE.FTP\shell\open\command" location in my registry.

I'm running XP Home SP3 with current updates.

What I would like to see happen would be when I click on a link in an
email or usenet post like this one:

ftp://pcwelt:dl4p...@download.pcwelt.de/downloadfiles/34000/34400/34482/instmv10305.exe

(DON'T click on that link, it's only an example. It's a link to a
defunct program that for use with Hamster, safe download, but not worth
getting)

I would like to see another (non-Microsoft) FTP handler open.

--
John Corliss

Singapore Computer Service

Jul 10, 2009, 3:08:17 PM7/10/09

Hello,

I tested it personally for you. At HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\, I deleted
the whole OPEN key. Then I tried to open a URL shortcut with the FTP prefix
and nothing happened.

Clearing the command key had no effect actually and FTP addresses still
opened with IE, so my previous post was wrong.

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL
"John Corliss" <q34w...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

John Corliss

Jul 10, 2009, 3:19:42 PM7/10/09
Yeah, that was my experience too so it's got to be something else
involved. I've posted the question to some other newsgroups, even the
Firefox support group on the Mozilla server. Maybe they'll be able to
come up with something. Thanks for trying though!

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all Google Groups posts
because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, dotnet,

2008 Pricelessware list: http://www.geocities.com/rtd3ws/08PWlist.html

Singapore Computer Service

Jul 10, 2009, 3:38:43 PM7/10/09
Hello,

If you find the solution, post back so that it will help others who have the
same issue in future.

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL
"John Corliss" <q34w...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 10, 2009, 8:14:02 PM7/10/09
cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/2522c71eb012644a?hl=en

Multiposting vs Crossposting:
~PA Bear

John Corliss wrote:
> Yeah, that was my experience too so it's got to be something else

> involved. I've posted the question to some other newsgroups...

John Corliss

Jul 10, 2009, 11:57:13 PM7/10/09
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

You know what PA Bear? No matter WHAT I DO, somebody was bound to bitch
at me. Get off my back.

--
John Corliss

John Corliss

Jul 11, 2009, 6:51:12 AM7/11/09
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

Okay, next time I will crosspost. However, I can guarantee you that
there will be somebody who will bitch me out for doing it. You can't win
on usenet.

--
John Corliss

John Corliss

Jul 11, 2009, 7:53:20 AM7/11/09

The solution was to delete (not an easy task, by the way) all copies of
the msieftp.dll file from my hard drive. First though, I made a backup
copy of the file and zipped it, then noted the three locations where I
found the file.

If you try to delete the copies though, the one in C:\WINDOWS\System32
will require the use of an unlocker program because the file is in use
by the system.

When I did this, Windows Explorer crashed, then restarted with no
problems and with that file gone.

This is a tweak not for the feint of heart and I don't recommend it for
others, but it worked for me. Now when I click on an ftp link, it opens
in Firefox the *way it should have from the start*.

Over and out. Thanks to those who tried to help me with the problem.

--
John Corliss

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 11, 2009, 11:47:37 AM7/11/09
[crosspost to WinXP General]

WinXP prefers IE to be the default in many cases, John. Have you tried
making IE your default browser?