CD Problem

gus

Feb 4, 2009, 7:20:05 PM2/4/09
I inherited a computer which will not open a CD in the CD drive. I
know
this could be a hardware or driver problem, but .....

If in Windows Explorer I click on the CD drive (D:) when there is
*no*
CD in the drive, the CD drive shows two folders. If I open either of
the two
folders I see that I have been directed to a location on the hard (C:)
drive.
Thus it seems there is a link from D: to C: somehow.

I suspect I need to remove the link somehow, but I can't figure out
how.
How do I do this?

Gus

Ronaldo

Feb 4, 2009, 7:55:00 PM2/4/09
Go to the CD Burning folder and delete the temp files.

C:\Documents and Settings\user_acct\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

----------------------------------
"gus" <gus_z...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje

Ronaldo

Feb 4, 2009, 8:21:19 PM2/4/09
CD Burning is a hidden folder but you can either unhide it in Tools\Folder
Options\View\Show all hidden files and folders, or type the route in
Start\Run\ to open the folder. And while you are deleting temp files, also
delete those in:
C:\Documents and Settings\user_acct\Local Settings\Temp and in
C:\WINDOWS\Temp

Some files that are being used will not get deleted but you can select every
file and folder inside the Temp folder and only those that are leftover will
be deleted. And if you want to play it safe, use CCleaner to delete all temp
files.

"gus" <gus_z...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje

Message has been deleted

Peter Foldes

Feb 4, 2009, 10:32:22 PM2/4/09
See if the below MS KB helps

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529

Or

Peter

"gus" <gus_z...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Ken Blake, MVP

Feb 5, 2009, 1:47:41 PM2/5/09
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:20:05 -0800 (PST), gus <gus_z...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I inherited a computer which will not open a CD in the CD drive. I
> know
> this could be a hardware or driver problem, but .....

If I acquired a used computer, no matter who previously owned it, the
first thing I would do with it would be to reinstall the operating
system cleanly. You have no idea how the computer has been maintained,
what has been installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and
spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody
else's mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddy porn, etc., and I
wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

> If in Windows Explorer I click on the CD drive (D:) when there is
> *no*
> CD in the drive, the CD drive shows two folders. If I open either of
> the two
> folders I see that I have been directed to a location on the hard (C:)
> drive.
> Thus it seems there is a link from D: to C: somehow.
>
> I suspect I need to remove the link somehow, but I can't figure out
> how.
> How do I do this?
>
> Gus

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Hank J.

Feb 5, 2009, 4:44:04 PM2/5/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:47:41 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:20:05 -0800 (PST), gus <gus_z...@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I inherited a computer which will not open a CD in the CD drive. I
>> know
>> this could be a hardware or driver problem, but .....
>

>If I acquired a used computer, no matter who previously owned it, the
>first thing I would do

[snip of Blake's pompous crap]

Did I miss something? Maybe another post from "gus" where he asked
everyone what might be the "first thing" he should do with his
inherited computer?