WinXP SP2 very, very slow??

Robert Macy

Aug 18, 2008, 4:52:30 PM8/18/08
When I boot up WinXP it takes a 'normal' time to get the desk top laid
out, and all in place, but then can't do anything for almost 5 minutes
until the START menu icon activates. Little hour glass until then.

Possibly related, when IE6 logs onto the dial up server, there is a
normal sequence of dial, handshake, identify, connect, and
then...about 5 minutes longer before the welcome screen comes up [no
activity or bytes going back and forth, just hour glass and waiting
for ??]

I think WinXP has some sequence of applications running that dominates
here, but I have no idea how to proceed.

What step by steps should I do to find out what's hogging, or
delaying, this system?

Robert

Daave

Aug 18, 2008, 5:31:40 PM8/18/08
"Robert Macy" <ma...@california.com> wrote in message

Which antivirus program do you use, and do you have it configured to
scan your hard drive each time you boot up? Also, how is it configured
to download the latest virus definitions?

Gerry

Aug 18, 2008, 5:41:09 PM8/18/08
Robert

"I think WinXP has some sequence of applications running that dominates

here, but I have no idea how to proceed" . Often anti-virus software
will update definitions and carry out a full scan on the system getting
to the desktop. The solution is to let this happen and do something else
not computer related, or see if you can schedule the scan for a
diiferent time when you do not want to use your computer.

What are your anti-virus and anti-spyware arrangements. Norton and
McAfee are well known for causing the type of problem you have
mentioned. However, most anti-virus software will cause this type of
problem to some degree.

You might also check Event Viewer for Warnings and Error Reports.

If you post copies of Error and Warning Reports appearing in
the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for the last boot. No
Information Reports or Duplicates please. Indicate which also appear in
a previous boot.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer.

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GlowingBlueMist

Aug 18, 2008, 5:44:41 PM8/18/08
"Robert Macy" <ma...@california.com> wrote in message
At this point almost anything could be causing problems, including hardware.

A few simple things one might try is to;

1. Examine the system logs and see if errors are showing up there, if so it
may indicate what program is having problems.

2. Open the Windows Task Manager and see what processes are running and the
amount of processing power they are using.

3. Run a couple of anti-Virus and Spyware programs, not a the same time, as
what one might find another might ignore.

4. Try running the msconfig program from start/run and check what is in the
Startup tab.

5. Try booting up in the Windows SAFE mode and see if the same delay is
occurring.

Kayman

Aug 18, 2008, 7:12:47 PM8/18/08

JF

Aug 18, 2008, 10:58:41 PM8/18/08
*Bonjour Robert Macy * !

> When I boot up WinXP it takes a 'normal' time to get the desk top laid
> out, and all in place, but then can't do anything for almost 5 minutes
> until the START menu icon activates. Little hour glass until then.

Your pointer changes to an hourglass when you hold
it over the taskbar for a few minutes after starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841571/en

See also :
http://winhlp.com/node/16
More radical: stop UPnP services
http://winhlp.com/node/16#The_most_successful_workarounds

--
Regards, Jean-François

Robert Macy

Aug 19, 2008, 6:07:33 PM8/19/08
Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. You're all in the right
area.

The first thing I did was to look at the Admin Tools: Event Viewer
Aplications, Security are all information, but in Systems, every boot
I get these two errors:

1) The IPv6 Helper Service service hung on starting.
2) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aic78xx

Don't know what these two do. Any ideas?

The next thing I did was to shut off that pesky UPnP

I went to the
My Computer right click
Manage
Services and Applications
Services
SSDP Discovery Service right click Properties/disable

then I rebooted to see what happens.
Something did change, but instead of an hour glass over the start, all
seemed dead, nothing would work for about 2 minutes. While waiting, I
checked the ctrlaltdel to find that one of the four svchost.exe was
hogging the CPU for 99+ ??, so I end task. Instantly I could open
applications and START and WinXP was up and running, but in the Event
Viewer were now...
1) The IPv6 Helper Service service hung on starting.
2) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aic78xx
3) The DNS Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1
time(s).

With the entry time stamp of 3) happening exactly matching when I shut
off the 'hogging' svchost.exe

I then went to RUN
ipconfig /flushdns
which caused the HD to do a lot of accessing

However, checking again I found all four svchost.exe's were back
running, but none hogging CPU.

Before I logged onto the net to bring everyone up to date, I checked
the SSDP Discovery Service and found it ON ?!
Don't know why it's so hard to kill that thing.
Turned it off, then dialed IP and went right to the welcome screen for
the first time ever!

Seems like problem starts with bad driver, or nonexistent driver,
followed by that SSD and UPnP search

Robert

GlowingBlueMist

Aug 20, 2008, 1:40:04 AM8/20/08

> Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. You're all in the right
> area.
>
> The first thing I did was to look at the Admin Tools: Event Viewer
> Applications, Security are all information, but in Systems, every boot
You can find information about the IPv6 Helper Service at the following:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/IPv6_Helper_Service.htm
As you will read, it depends on some other programs to be functioning
properly in order for it to work.

As for the aic78xx driver that is a hard drive driver that can be used to
support SCSI hard drives and also used for the more common SATA drives. It
is usually used on SATA drives for people trying to setup a RAID of some
sort but can be used on non-raid systems. You might want to check around
for a floppy or CD that should have come with your system with the driver on
it. There is usually an instruction file included with it.

JF

Aug 20, 2008, 2:01:06 AM8/20/08
*Bonjour Robert Macy * !

> Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. You're all in the right
> area.

> The first thing I did was to look at the Admin Tools: Event Viewer
> Aplications, Security are all information, but in Systems, every boot
> I get these two errors:

> 1) The IPv6 Helper Service service hung on starting.
> 2) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
> aic78xx

> Don't know what these two do. Any ideas?

> The next thing I did was to shut off that pesky UPnP

> I went to the
> My Computer right click
> Manage
> Services and Applications
> Services
> SSDP Discovery Service right click Properties/disable

You can disable IPv6 Helper Service
UPNP is to be disable with SSDP

http://www.blackviper.com
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/IPv6_Helper_Service.htm
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/Universal_Plug_and_Play_Device_Host.htm
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/SSDP_Discovery_Service.htm
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/IPv6_Helper_Service.htm

> then I rebooted to see what happens.
> Something did change, but instead of an hour glass over the start, all
> seemed dead, nothing would work for about 2 minutes. While waiting, I
> checked the ctrlaltdel to find that one of the four svchost.exe was
> hogging the CPU for 99+ ??, so I end task. Instantly I could open
> applications and START and WinXP was up and running, but in the Event
> Viewer were now...
> 1) The IPv6 Helper Service service hung on starting.
> 2) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
> aic78xx

Use Autoruns, and his Drivers Tab
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx
Protect the registry with Erunt so you sure to be able to start again

> 3) The DNS Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1
> time(s).

> With the entry time stamp of 3) happening exactly matching when I shut
> off the 'hogging' svchost.exe

> I then went to RUN
> ipconfig /flushdns
> which caused the HD to do a lot of accessing

> However, checking again I found all four svchost.exe's were back
> running, but none hogging CPU.

OK.

> Before I logged onto the net to bring everyone up to date, I checked
> the SSDP Discovery Service and found it ON ?!
> Don't know why it's so hard to kill that thing.

> Turned it off, then dialed IP and went right to the welcome screen for
> the first time ever!

> Seems like problem starts with bad driver, or nonexistent driver,
> followed by that SSD and UPnP search

> Robert

See with AutoRuns, Process Explorer, Process Monitor ...
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/08/28/the-case-of-the-intermittent-and-annoying-explorer-hangs.aspx

--
Regards, Jean-François

Plato

Aug 20, 2008, 8:21:01 PM8/20/08

Robert Macy

Aug 21, 2008, 3:04:11 AM8/21/08
Wow!

I tried a power on boot and let the program go to completion.

Task Manager identified 5 versions of svchost.exe running:

svchost.exe SYSTEM
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
svchost.exe SYSTEM
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE

NOTE: any application was 'doggy', so then I went to the right click
My Computer/Manage/Services/ to disable SSD Discovery to stop UPnP,
that helped speed up things a bit

Then tried to connect to my ISP:
IE6 dialed instantly
but the handshake took over 7 minutes [normally 10-20 seconds], I let
it run.until said connected
the welcome screen never came up even after waiting another 8 minutes
[normally as fast as dial up download 1 to 2 sec]

This didn't seem right, so checked Manage/Services again and found SSD
Discovery had started again! Stopped it.
then,
RUN
ipconfig /flushdns

but after that, I couldn't get anything to work right. No Manage/ I
could not even get the Task Manager to come up. Just ctrl-alt-del,
hour glass, then back to normal; never could get Task Manager, or
Manage/Services running again?

Ok, rebooted and did the following steps of protocol, which works
everytime:
Boot up
just as Windows Desktop fills in, but hour glass on START
ctrl-alt-del to start Task Manager and find the svchost.exe that is
hogging the CPU's time, end task
instantly I can start any application
START and right click My Computer
Manage/Services/ stop SSD Discovery
RUN
ipconfig /flushdns

and WinXP is suddenly very fast *and* I can connect to the internet

If I don't run that ipconfig /flushdns, I can't connect to the
internet, don't know why, just doesn't work.

When I try to connect to internet, within 20 seconds I'm on line with
a welcome screen and started posting this message.

That's where it stands right now. That three step protocol gets me
running.

Should I have this many svchost.exe's running?
How to kill that pesky SSD Discovery thing?

Robert

Gerry

Aug 21, 2008, 5:34:40 AM8/21/08
Robert

Download Process Explorer.

For further information about Process Explorer see here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx

It would be helpful if you could post the Command Line of the svchost
process generating the excessive CPU usage. In Process Explorer place
cursor on Process and select Properties, Image.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Macy

Aug 21, 2008, 11:28:31 AM8/21/08
On Aug 21, 2:34 am, "Gerry" <ge...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Robert
>
> Download Process Explorer.
>
> For further information about Process Explorer see here:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/Proce...

> It would be helpful if you could post the Command Line of the svchost
> process generating the excessive CPU usage. In Process Explorer place
> cursor on Process and select Properties, Image.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> Robert Macy wrote:
> > Wow!
>
> > I tried a power on boot and let the program go to completion.
>
> > Task Manager identified 5 versions of svchost.exe running:
>
> > svchost.exe SYSTEM
> > svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
> > svchost.exe SYSTEM
> > svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
> > svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
>
> > NOTE: any application was 'doggy', so then I went to the right click
> > My Computer/Manage/Services/ to disable SSD Discovery to stop UPnP,
> > that helped speed up things a bit

...snip...

Gerry,

Thank you. It will take me a bit of time before I can get this
done.

Gary Terhune gave this as one of his suggestions:

" 3. Set up a Clean Boot by running MSCONFIG, choosing Selective
Startup, then
uncheck the Load Startup Items, then go to the Services tab, put a
check in
"Hide all Microsoft Services", then click Disable All. Click OK,
reboot when
prompted, check to make sure that your antivirus didn't automatically
restart itself (Avast will do that), then test at Microsoft.com. If
you're
sure it's working OK, now, then run MSINFO32, look under Software,
then
Startup Programs, click anywhere in the right-hand pane, press Ctrl-A,
then
Ctrl-C, then use Ctrl-V to Paste the info into a reply. Stop any
further
testing of suggestions and reestablish a Normal boot in MSCONFIG. "

Which I tried last night. Well after doing the boot that way, the
machine would not connect so couldn't thoroughly test at
Microsoft.com. But did try running MSINFO32 and software very
interesting list of items there, but don't know what they meant. When
I tried to go back and set up normal boot, WinXP would NOT let me.
Instead, it would hour-glass and then nothing. tried over and over.
even had trouble getting WinXP to shut down, so I had to do a 'forced'
reboot [ctrl-alt-del, select shutdown] to return to normal, took a bit
of finagling but finally got back. Again, as long as I do that three
step protocol, the system works.

So, I'll download that program, find out what is asking svchost.exe to
go out and take so long, and get back.

Do you think this is related to the IPv6 Helper hanging during boot
up?

Robert

Robert Macy

Aug 21, 2008, 3:42:16 PM8/21/08
On Aug 21, 8:28 am, Robert Macy <m...@california.com> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2:34 am, "Gerry" <ge...@nospam.com> wrote:
> > Download Process Explorer.

Gerry,

Thank you for this URL.

I ran Process Explorer after setting the WinXP up to operate
'properly'

I got the following list describing the four:
svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe -k rpcss
svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe -k Local Service

the third one had a very long list of attributes as the cursor went
over the top of it.

Any look out of place?

Or, try again and let the offending one operate, then look at it?

Robert

Gerry

Aug 21, 2008, 7:54:24 PM8/21/08
Robert

"I got the following list describing the four:
> svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch
> svchost.exe -k rpcss
> svchost.exe -k netsvcs
> svchost.exe -k Local Service"

Which is hogging the CPU?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Macy

Aug 21, 2008, 11:25:05 PM8/21/08
On Aug 21, 4:54 pm, "Gerry" <ge...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Robert
>
> "I got the following list describing the four:
>
> > svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch
> > svchost.exe -k rpcss
> > svchost.exe -k netsvcs
> > svchost.exe -k Local Service"
>
> Which is hogging the CPU?
>
> --
>
> Hope  this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute

Uh, none when the machine finally is able to look at them.

JF

Aug 22, 2008, 12:00:49 AM8/22/08
*Bonjour Robert Macy * !

> Robert

Read the workaround at the end of this KB

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode
after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/en

--
Regards, Jean-François

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 22, 2008, 1:06:57 AM8/22/08
NB Lurkers: Please read the rest of the story...

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/a9e6c7309e768ac2
&ff (where Robert tells us that the machine is "totally isolated from the
net" and does not have an anti-virus application installed)

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/8fb29727fa4db1f5
&ff

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/browse_frm/thread/7925b820b396a453
&ff (Yes, Win98 General!)
--
~PA Bear

Robert Macy

Aug 22, 2008, 2:06:35 AM8/22/08
On Aug 21, 10:06 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NB Lurkers: Please read the rest of the story...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...

> &ff (where Robert tells us that the machine is "totally isolated from the
> net" and does not have an anti-virus application installed)
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
> &ff
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/...

> &ff  (Yes, Win98 General!)
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Robert Macy wrote:
> > When I boot up WinXP it takes a 'normal' time to get the desk top laid
> > out, and all in place, but then can't do anything for almost 5 minutes
> > until the START menu icon activates.  Little hour glass until then.
>
> > Possibly related, when IE6 logs onto the dial up server, there is a
> > normal sequence of dial, handshake, identify, connect, and
> > then...about 5 minutes longer before the welcome screen comes up [no
> > activity or bytes going back and forth, just hour glass and waiting
> > for ??]
>
> > I think WinXP has some sequence of applications running that dominates
> > here, but I have no idea how to proceed.
>
> > What step by steps should I do to find out what's hogging, or
> > delaying, this system?
>
> > Robert- Hide quoted text -

As explanation of sequence:

The problem was most obvious when I went to use Internet Explorer, so
I went to the Internet Explorer Group, and as you see got no help
passed the point of receiving a tirade on antiviral software even
though I'm supposed to make certain antiviral software iss turned off
while proceeding with fixes.

After receiving no help, I then went to the group where I've
historically received the most help, Win98 General Discussion Group,
apologized for being off topic and posed my questions there, ...and
did get excellent suggestions to try. From trying those suggestions,
I was led to discover the problem with WinXP booting up properly and
then running properly.

It now makes sense to pose my questions here in the WinXP Group,
because there is obviously something wrong during the initial boot up
sequence, that MAYBE once fixed will fix my IE6 problem, maybe not.
Either way it seems apparent that something is wrong with WinXP as it
first starts up, so I'm here in the WinXP group asking for help on how
to get the initial sequence for starting my WinXP fixed. Again, this
initial sequence needs to be fixed because it takes 2 to 4 minutes to
finish booting after the DeskTop appears. And you cannot believe how
sluggish *any* applications, Control Panel, or other actions are.
We're talking molasses here. Keep in mind that the system is
isolated.

If I was not complete enough in my description when I first posted to
this group, WinXP General Group; my sincerest apologies. I was trying
to focus on something not quite right during boot up.

I have received some excellent advice, URL's, and (I'd venture)
silently whispered sympathy.

I think I'm getting close, because *if* I follow my three step
protocol, this machine is a screamer. I'd just like to make these
three steps automatic each time the machine boots up.

PA Bear, with your expertise on WinXP, fixing this problem should be a
'slam dunk' for you. Did I miss your suggestions, relating to this
problem?

Robert

Daave

Aug 22, 2008, 8:37:18 AM8/22/08

> PA Bear, with your expertise on WinXP, fixing this problem
> should be a 'slam dunk' for you. Did I miss your suggestions,
> relating to this problem?

You're either missing them or you are ignoring them. You need to rule
out malware issues before you do anything else. You haven't done so yet.

In another thread (your problem is extremely difficult to grok since you
have three separate threads going!), you mentioned you deleted three
files related to IE. But we need to know what these mystery files are --
their actual names.

At this point, you should cut your losses. Back up your data if you
haven't done so already. Run a repair install. Or even a clean install.

Robert Macy

Aug 22, 2008, 12:12:10 PM8/22/08
On Aug 22, 5:37 am, "Daave" <dcwashNOS...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote:
> "Robert Macy" <m...@california.com> wrote in message

Interesting that problems associated with the system, intrinsic
problems, are so readily being associated with malware, and not with
the system itself. I didn't see any malware, but that stuff is
elusive. Now that I can reliably connect to the 'net, I can go
through the total sequence of URLs.

Regarding the two files, I suspect the files relate to SP2 addition
since they had the form of
{asdfecsfttg} {just a series of letters in brackets}
If anybody knows what two files would be associated with IE6 after a
SP2 addition, let me know.

I've had the problem with the slow boot since day one. So it's hard to
believe the slow boot has been caused by deleting those two files.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of this thing, too. I'll probably have to go
do a clean install of Win98, since that always runs faster, better (at
least Notepad and Paint aren't destroyed) on this 500MHz machine.

Robert

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 22, 2008, 1:10:55 PM8/22/08
Robert Macy wrote:

> On Aug 21, 10:06 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> NB Lurkers: Please read the rest of the story...
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>> &ff (where Robert tells us that the machine is "totally isolated from the
>> net" and does not have an anti-virus application installed)
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>> &ff
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/...
>> &ff (Yes, Win98 General!)
<snip>

> PA Bear, with your expertise on WinXP, fixing this problem should be a
> 'slam dunk' for you. Did I miss your suggestions, relating to this
> problem?

One mo' time...

See this 08 Aug-08 reply of mine to your original thread in IE General:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/msg/4af1afd43a68c75f
--
~PA Bear

Daave

Aug 22, 2008, 1:24:23 PM8/22/08
"Daave" <dcwash...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message

> Interesting that problems associated with the system, intrinsic
> problems, are so readily being associated with malware, and not with
> the system itself. I didn't see any malware, but that stuff is
> elusive. Now that I can reliably connect to the 'net, I can go
> through the total sequence of URLs.

It's quite possible that you have no malware at all.

But it is also possible you *do* have malware and you really need to
rule that out.

> Regarding the two files, I suspect the files relate to SP2 addition
> since they had the form of
> {asdfecsfttg} {just a series of letters in brackets}
> If anybody knows what two files would be associated with IE6 after a
> SP2 addition, let me know.

What is the extension? What was the location? You need to provide that
information!

> I've had the problem with the slow boot since day one. So it's hard to
> believe the slow boot has been caused by deleting those two files.
>
> Yeah, I'm getting tired of this thing, too. I'll probably have to go
> do a clean install of Win98, since that always runs faster, better (at
> least Notepad and Paint aren't destroyed) on this 500MHz machine.

If your processor is only 500 MHz, then it's not surprising you have had
performance issues with XP since day one!

Also, how much RAM do you have?

It sounds like you will have a much better experience with 98SE or 2000,
considering your specs.

Robert Macy

Aug 23, 2008, 3:59:26 AM8/23/08
On Aug 22, 10:10 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One mo' time...
>
> See this 08 Aug-08 reply of mine to your original thread in IE General:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
> --
> ~PA Bear- Hide quoted text -

Ok, I spent a whole day, going through that list, downloading
programs, running and scanning, etc. Looking for malware [not finding
any]

And I'm still having to...

If I use the three step protocol when I boot up, the WinXP is quite
snappy and connects to the internet quite efficiently.

Again, the three steps
1) Right after the Desktop appears, kill the svchost.exe that hogs the
CPU
2) Stop the SSDP Discovery
3) RUN ipconfig /flushdns

If the machine did that automatically, I'd be done

Robert

JF

Aug 23, 2008, 4:35:31 AM8/23/08

Daave

Aug 23, 2008, 9:42:23 AM8/23/08
Robert Macy wrote:

> If I use the three step protocol when I boot up, the WinXP is quite
> snappy and connects to the internet quite efficiently.
>
> Again, the three steps
> 1) Right after the Desktop appears, kill the svchost.exe that hogs the
> CPU
> 2) Stop the SSDP Discovery
> 3) RUN ipconfig /flushdns

Try this:

Start | Control Panel | Automatic updates

Which option is selected?

Robert Macy

Aug 23, 2008, 1:33:49 PM8/23/08
On Aug 23, 1:35 am, JF <JF@-> wrote:
>   *Bonjour Robert Macy * !
>

> May behttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2008/01/11/getting-started-w...
>
> --
> Regards, Jean-François- Hide quoted text -

Jean-Francois,

Bonjour, and merci beaucoup for these two URLs

I believe the problem does relate to some kind of automatic update
trying to ??
Luckily, svchost is NOT crashing, but apparently hogging the CPU time
and making it appear the computer is stopped.

An observation:
Microsoft help websites CANNOT be saved in .mht format in order to
read them and print them offline, where as most of the third party
websites can be saved that way. So at all of these Microsoft websites
I have to save the information .txt format and spend time fiddling it
back into readable shape.

These two website combined with that very useful program 'System
Information' may help. This program says I'm missing two programs for
my IE6
iecont.dll
iecontlc.dll
...I wonder if they are necessary

Regards,
Robert

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 23, 2008, 6:48:29 PM8/23/08
Robert Macy wrote:
> On Aug 22, 10:10 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> One mo' time...
>>
>> See this 08 Aug-08 reply of mine to your original thread in IE
>> General:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/msg/4af1afd43a68c75f

> Ok, I spent a whole day, going through that list, downloading
> programs, running and scanning, etc. Looking for malware [not finding
> any]
>
> And I'm still having to...
>
> If I use the three step protocol when I boot up, the WinXP is quite
> snappy and connects to the internet quite efficiently.
>
> Again, the three steps
> 1) Right after the Desktop appears, kill the svchost.exe that hogs the
> CPU
> 2) Stop the SSDP Discovery
> 3) RUN ipconfig /flushdns
>
> If the machine did that automatically, I'd be done.

Please cite a link to the forum thread where you've posted your HijackThis
log for review by an expert, Robert. If you've not done so, you're not
finished yet (despite what your scanning may have said).

[If you'd followed my recommendations from the git-go, you'd probably be
running troublefree 2 weeks ago. I am not going to spend another 3 weeks on
this. Good luck.]

Robert Macy

Aug 24, 2008, 11:18:44 AM8/24/08
On Aug 23, 3:48 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Macy wrote:
> > On Aug 22, 10:10 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> One mo' time...
>
> >> See this 08 Aug-08 reply of mine to your original thread in IE
> >> General:
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...

> > Ok, I spent a whole day, going through that list, downloading
> > programs, running and scanning, etc.  Looking for malware [not finding
> > any]
>
> > And I'm still having to...
>
> > If I use the three step protocol when I boot up, the WinXP is quite
> > snappy and connects to the internet quite efficiently.
>
> > Again, the three steps
> > 1) Right after the Desktop appears, kill the svchost.exe that hogs the
> > CPU
> > 2) Stop the SSDP Discovery
> > 3) RUN ipconfig /flushdns
>
> > If the machine did that automatically, I'd be done.
>
> Please cite a link to the forum thread where you've posted your HijackThis
> log for review by an expert, Robert.  If you've not done so, you're not
> finished yet (despite what your scanning may have said).
>
> [If you'd followed my recommendations from the git-go, you'd probably be
> running troublefree 2 weeks ago.  I am not going to spend another 3 weeks on
> this.  Good luck.]- Hide quoted text -

Don't forget the main symptom was an inability to connect to the web.
Made it VERY difficult to download AdAware, HiJackThis.exe and then to
upload anything anywhere.

The back log on reviewing hijack logs appears to be more than two
weeks. Do not misinterpret, I am not chiding excellent volunteers for
their ability, rather stating a fact.

Right now I'm on the Win98 IE6, so have no access to the information
on the WinXP machine.

Robert

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 24, 2008, 2:25:23 PM8/24/08
> Don't forget the main symptom was an inability to connect to the web.
> Made it VERY difficult to download AdAware, HiJackThis.exe and then to
> upload anything anywhere.

You could have used your Win98 machine to do all of this.

> The back log on reviewing hijack logs appears to be more than two

> weeks...

Not in all of the forums I cited.

Robert Macy

Aug 25, 2008, 10:11:19 AM8/25/08
> Not in all of the forums I cited.- Hide quoted text -

Been a long delay, after installing the AdAware, and scanning etc
rebooting once, machine worked ok, but after sitting dormant for a
day, then would not boot up. took three tries before could get thing
up and running, so now don't know what value the 'old' log is and have
to do it all over again - when can get the machine on again.

but as soon as up again need to run two forms, one that works [my
three step protocol] and can post directly, and the other which
doesn't work and may or may not have the machine up to a running state
at all.

Robert Macy

Aug 27, 2008, 11:33:49 AM8/27/08
On Aug 25, 7:11 am, Robert Macy <m...@california.com> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 11:25 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:

..snip...

> Been a long delay, after installing the AdAware, and scanning etc
> rebooting once, machine worked ok, but after sitting dormant for a
> day, then would not boot up.  took three tries before could get thing
> up and running, so now don't know what value the 'old' log is and have
> to do it all over again - when can get the machine on again.
>
> but as soon as up again need to run two forms, one that works [my
> three step protocol] and can post directly, and the other which
> doesn't work and may or may not have the machine up to a running state

> at all.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry to reply to my own posting, but...

Again, this machine is now not booting up at all !!!

What ever that Ad-Aware did has caused [or is coincidental] with this
machine to now not boot up. Just goes to a black screen and a single
white cursor like bar at the top and then stops. Took me three tries
again to get this thing going in order to create the two logs.

Same problem still exists. However, the svchost.exe that hogs the cpu
time when I dial up to connect hogs the cpu so much that I can't run
System Information program to find out what program owns it. I could
only find out from task manager that it was svchost.exe from the
NETWORK, makes sense

Probably that pesky auto update feature in there somewhere.

Will now try to post the .log for the 'slow' version

Robert

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 28, 2008, 7:57:01 PM8/28/08
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

Nearly a month later and Robert has posted his HJT log in an appropriate
forum: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35763 (where we see that he
still doesn't have an anti-virus application installed).
--
~PA Bear

Bob I

Aug 29, 2008, 8:46:19 AM8/29/08

As they say, "You can lead a horse to water............"

Robert Macy

Aug 29, 2008, 8:03:24 PM8/29/08
On Aug 29, 5:46 am, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > Nearly a month later and Robert has posted his HJT log in an appropriate
> > forum:http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35763(where we see that he

> > still doesn't have an anti-virus application installed).

Yes, the month was spent fighting unreliable boot ups and the fact
that I can't dedicate my life to this.

> As they say, "You can lead a horse to water............"- Hide quoted text -

Did you see a virus in the log?

So far the steps I've done pursuing fixing the problem has resulted in
extremely unreliable boot up. Didn't have that problem before. I
should have stopped at doing my 3 step protocol and gone on with my
life. Nuisance, but started everytime.

Bob I

Sep 2, 2008, 9:37:43 AM9/2/08

Robert Macy wrote:

I suspect the issue is somehow related to the "special software" having
something changed by the Adaware which is causing the "pause" while it
waits for a reply that is blocked, and when you disable things it is
just skipping that check.

Robert Macy

Sep 3, 2008, 12:08:43 PM9/3/08
On Sep 2, 6:37 am, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert Macy wrote:
> > On Aug 29, 5:46 am, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:

..snip..

> > Did you see a virus in the log?
>
> > So far the steps I've done pursuing fixing the problem has resulted in
> > extremely unreliable boot up.  Didn't have that problem before.  I
> > should have stopped at doing my 3 step protocol and gone on with my
> > life.  Nuisance, but started everytime.
>
> I suspect the issue is somehow related to the "special software" having
> something changed by the Adaware which is causing the "pause" while it
> waits for a reply that is blocked, and when you disable things it is
> just skipping that check.-

Thank you for your reply.
The HijackThis log is posted at aumha site.
Any idea which 'special software'?
I'm willing to uninstall AdAware [again!] if that will help.

I don't mind quitting and just doing the three step protocol at this
point. But, there's something nagging about not having everything
under control. <g>

Four with protocol and five without, are there too many svchost.exe
running?

Robert

Bob I

Sep 3, 2008, 12:48:00 PM9/3/08

Robert Macy wrote:

The National Institute program appears to have some external hooks and
updating features, just guessing from the filenames I saw. You may want
to try reinstalling it, with out the Adaware.