Auto Log On and control userpasswords2

Kent Moore

Sep 14, 2002, 10:39:02 PM9/14/02
Hi:

I have never used a password before but I needed one in order to use
something in the scheduled tasks. I created a password for the the one
account I have (I am the only one using the computer). I read in the
newsgroups that by running "control userpasswords2" I could bypass the
password entry on start up so I tried this. But my system freezes for about
10 minutes on startup with this option. I then tried the option in tweakui
and it is working--computer starts up in the usual 1 minute. Can anyone
think of a reason the control userpasswords2 one would not work. Why is it
freezing for so long. Thanks a lot, Kent

Kelly

Sep 15, 2002, 1:43:01 AM9/15/02
Hi Kent,

Not sure why you are having issues with control userpasswords2. But to run
scheduled tasks without a password:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down)

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Go to Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Value name: limitblankpassworduse
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)

It is enabled by default. Disable it and scheduled tasks should run.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP [AE-Windows® XP]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Kent Moore" <kent....@nau.edu> wrote in message

Kent Moore

Sep 15, 2002, 12:35:27 PM9/15/02
Thanks for this information, Kelly. I may try it sometime. Right now
everything is working with the password and autologon from Tweakui. I sill
feel something may be wrong with my setup if the option under "control
userpasswords2" is not working. Oh well. Will this registry "fix" that you
mention affect any other functions. I am always fearful of changing
something and then having a problem with something else later and even
though I write down my changes, I might not realize that this fix changed
something else. Thanks again, Kent

"Kelly" <ke...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Kelly

Sep 16, 2002, 1:00:01 AM9/16/02
You are welcome, Kent. Those edits have an impact on the logon passwords.
They have been used successfully for the Task Scheduler without any other
reports of ill affects, elsewhere.

--
All the Best,
Kelly