sp2 to sp1

John

May 28, 2005, 8:54:20 PM5/28/05
Hi

Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
like to retain all apps during the process if possible.

Thanks

Regards

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

May 28, 2005, 9:14:52 PM5/28/05
John;
Did SP-2 come installed on the computer or was SP-2 part of the installation
CD?
Perform a Repair Installation with a pre SP-2 CD should do it.
But you may have problems with the Product Key, Activation etc depending on
the versions involved.

Why do you want to downgrade the security of your computer?
Eventually you will need SP-2.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"John" <Jo...@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message

kurttrail

May 28, 2005, 9:19:50 PM5/28/05

WARNING! BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

Okay, What did I just say?

BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

Is that clear?

One more time!

BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

You can try to do a repair install with the SP1 CD.

But remember:

BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Rock

May 28, 2005, 9:19:08 PM5/28/05
John wrote:

If SP2 was added as an upgrade then see this link for how to remove it.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875350

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

S.Sengupta

May 28, 2005, 9:33:33 PM5/28/05
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

John

May 29, 2005, 9:52:04 AM5/29/05
The dell pc came pre-installed with sp2. I am having problem with one access
app which uses internet transfer control to post to a web site and it does
not work with sp2. All pre-sp2 pcs work fine. I have worked with an ISA
server MS guy (as all pcs are behind and sbs2003/Isa 2000 server) and he
thinks somehow sp2 is prohibiting the itc from sending user credentials to
ISA server hence ISA server responds by 407 Proxy authentication required.
Have spent a lot of time on both pc and server settings. Don't know what to
do except downgrade the pc to sp1.

Thanks

Regards

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_...@hotnomail.com> wrote in message

lucyfer

May 29, 2005, 4:05:08 AM5/29/05
This depends on whether your SP2 is a part of your installation. CD just as
Jupiter said.
:)
"S.Sengupta" <sseng...@msn.com>
??????:OiuJc5%23YFH...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

John

May 29, 2005, 9:55:56 AM5/29/05
Would any of these method required re-installing apps?

Thanks

Regards

"S.Sengupta" <sseng...@msn.com> wrote in message

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 29, 2005, 10:07:17 AM5/29/05
If SP2 is included with your new Dell PC, it cannot be uninstalled
or removed. Therefore, you cannot downgrade your system to SP1.

Using programs and hardware with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2swhw

Some programs 'seem' to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Steve N.

May 29, 2005, 10:09:04 AM5/29/05
John wrote:

> The dell pc came pre-installed with sp2. I am having problem with one access
> app which uses internet transfer control to post to a web site and it does
> not work with sp2. All pre-sp2 pcs work fine. I have worked with an ISA
> server MS guy (as all pcs are behind and sbs2003/Isa 2000 server) and he
> thinks somehow sp2 is prohibiting the itc from sending user credentials to
> ISA server hence ISA server responds by 407 Proxy authentication required.
> Have spent a lot of time on both pc and server settings. Don't know what to
> do except downgrade the pc to sp1.
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

Set FTP to passive mode in Internet Options, Advanced.

Steve

lucyfer

May 29, 2005, 10:11:12 AM5/29/05
Hi John,

I noticed that your SP2 is pre-installed ,so cannot be removed separatedly.
"John" <Jo...@nospam.infovis.co.uk> 写入消息新闻:O4vhhYFZ...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

John

May 29, 2005, 10:20:37 AM5/29/05
I have got a couple of new pcs coming in the same configuration. If I
repair-install with sp1 before installing any app, would that work?
Obviously I can always completely wipe off and start with sp1 on a pc but
whatever is quickest.

Regards

"lucyfer" <lucy...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 29, 2005, 11:17:21 AM5/29/05
No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2 installation.
An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD will fail because
SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

May 29, 2005, 11:25:53 AM5/29/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.

Hi,

Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
actually remove SP2.

From

<quote>
Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

kurttrail

May 29, 2005, 11:36:21 AM5/29/05
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
>> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
>> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
> Hi,
>
> Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
> actually remove SP2.
>
> From
>
> <quote>
> Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
> will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
> </quote>

Thanks Torgeir!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 29, 2005, 11:55:00 AM5/29/05
Hello Torgeir -

SP2 cannot be removed if the original SP2 uninstall files do not exist,
such as the case with a preinstalled Windows XP installation with SP2
already slipstreamed in at the factory.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Steve N.

May 29, 2005, 11:56:19 AM5/29/05
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
>> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
>> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
>
> Hi,
>
> Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
> actually remove SP2.
>
> From
>
> <quote>
> Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
> will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
> </quote>

It's about time!

Steve

Steve N.

May 29, 2005, 11:57:27 AM5/29/05
John wrote:

> I have got a couple of new pcs coming in the same configuration. If I
> repair-install with sp1 before installing any app, would that work?
> Obviously I can always completely wipe off and start with sp1 on a pc but
> whatever is quickest.
>
> Regards

Did you try setting FTP to passive mode as I suggested?

Steve

R. McCarty

May 29, 2005, 12:00:00 PM5/29/05
I think the point of contention is that if you perform a "Repair" install
with any earlier XP version disk, you will remove whatever SP level
existed. But you are right that embedded or Slipstreamed disks do
not have a SP roll-back capability.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfr...@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

kurttrail

May 29, 2005, 12:04:47 PM5/29/05

And Carey is still trying to hang on to his delusion, even though a
fellow MVP tried to correct him.

http://www.microscum.com/carey/

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 29, 2005, 12:12:37 PM5/29/05
If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

kurttrail

May 29, 2005, 12:25:34 PM5/29/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
> you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
> the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

Please somebody, ask him if he has tried this himself? He won't see
this post of mine.

R. McCarty

May 29, 2005, 12:36:22 PM5/29/05
If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does
that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

kurttrail

May 29, 2005, 1:16:26 PM5/29/05
R. McCarty wrote:
> If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
> I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
> else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
> need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does
> that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
> out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?

Last time I tried it was with a SP1 install and a RTM CD, and the repair
install did the "downgrade" with no problems. I would assume it would
work the same with a SP2 install and a SP1 or RTM CD.

My problem with Carey is that he often spouts info that he has heard,
and has never tried himself.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 29, 2005, 1:41:38 PM5/29/05
Q: "Does that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?".

A: Only as long as the "uninstall" files for the Service Packs exist. If the
Service Pack uninstall files do not exist, as in the case of a slipstreamed
version, then the Service Pack cannot be uninstalled.

I have actually tried performing a Repair Install using the original RTM
Windows XP CD or a Windows XP CD with SP1 after having deleted
the SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) in Windows Explorer.
The only repair install that will work is with a Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed.

With a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows XP SP2, the
SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) does not exist,
therefore SP2 cannot be uninstalled manually or via a repair install using
a pre-SP2 Windows XP CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 29, 2005, 1:52:03 PM5/29/05
It worked in your case because you did not delete the SP1 uninstall file
directory
( $NTServicePackUinistall$) prior to performing a repair install with a RTM
CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Dilip

May 29, 2005, 2:42:03 PM5/29/05
Hi Torgeir,

If the computer was supplied with an SP2 slipstreamed CD from the retailer
(with WinXP SP2 slipstream installation), where are the pre SP2 files
supposed to come from whilst performing the repair? Are you possibly
talking about using another SP1 disk altogether? In that case, would there
be product key complications, and where could this be procured from. I hate
to say this, but Carey might be right this time?

Please verify, thanks.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.B...@hydro.com> wrote in message

Steve N.

May 29, 2005, 3:20:04 PM5/29/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
> you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
> the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

Now how can I put this mildly?...

I just did it with a clean install of XP Pro OEM SP2 and did a repair
install from an XP Pro OEM SP1 CD. No errors, no problems, the box is
now running XP Pro SP1.

You are a liar and a fraud. You never test anything. I do and I've
proven you wrong once again.

You don't deserve the MVP title.

Steve

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

May 29, 2005, 3:25:00 PM5/29/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

Hi,

No, you will not...

I have just tested this:

Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
Service Pack 2 is installed.

Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:

I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
files, everything goes smoothly.

After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.

Conclusion:
With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

May 29, 2005, 3:31:27 PM5/29/05
Dilip wrote:

> Hi Torgeir,
>
> If the computer was supplied with an SP2 slipstreamed CD from the
> retailer (with WinXP SP2 slipstream installation), where are the
> pre SP2 files supposed to come from whilst performing the repair?

From the WinXP SP1 CD that you use for the repair operation.

> Are you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk
> altogether?

Yes.

> In that case, would there be product key complications,
> and where could this be procured from.

As long as the WinXP SP1 OS is of the same type as the original WinXP SP2 OS installation,
there will be no product key complications.

> I hate to say this, but Carey might be right this time?

Nope.

R. McCarty

May 29, 2005, 3:35:28 PM5/29/05
Well I'm late with my results, but a VPC with XP-SP2 was
repaired with the original "Gold" version CD-ROM. Worked
as expected, no issues. The SP2 XP instance was slipstreamed
so no SP Uninstall or ServicePackFiles factored into the test.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.B...@hydro.com> wrote in message

Steve N.

May 29, 2005, 3:39:21 PM5/29/05
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
>> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
>> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
>
> Hi,
>
> No, you will not...
>
> I have just tested this:
>
> Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
> WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
> ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
> Service Pack 2 is installed.
>
> Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
> following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:
>
> I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
> files, everything goes smoothly.
>
> After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
> Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
> Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.
>
> Conclusion:
> With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
> slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
> $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

And I can attest that a clean install from an OEM Win XP Pro Sp2 CD (not
slipstreamed) can be taken back to SP1 with a repair install from an XP
Pro OEM SP1 CD.

Carey is full of it, as is nearly usual. He never tests anything for
himself.

Thanks again, Torgeir.

Steve

kurttrail

May 29, 2005, 3:39:33 PM5/29/05
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
>> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
>> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort. Hi,
>
> No, you will not...
>
> I have just tested this:
>
> Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
> WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
> ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
> Service Pack 2 is installed.
>
> Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
> following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:
>
> I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
> files, everything goes smoothly.
>
> After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
> Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
> Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.
>
> Conclusion:
> With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
> slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
> $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

I was gonna test it myself after the Indy 500 was over, but you saved me
from having to.

Again, thanks Torgeir!

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

May 29, 2005, 3:37:40 PM5/29/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
> you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
> the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

Hi,

That did not happen for me when following the instructions here:

This on a slipstreamed WinXP SP2 installation (so the
$NTServicePackUinistall$ folder did not exist).

The computer ended up with WinXP SP1 installed.

kurttrail

May 29, 2005, 3:43:28 PM5/29/05
Dilip wrote:
> Hi Torgeir,
>
> If the computer was supplied with an SP2 slipstreamed CD from the
> retailer (with WinXP SP2 slipstream installation), where are the pre
> SP2 files supposed to come from whilst performing the repair? Are
> you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk altogether? In
> that case, would there be product key complications, and where could
> this be procured from. I hate to say this, but Carey might be right
> this time?
> Please verify, thanks.

There are no key changes between SP1 & 2. As long as you are using the
same type of XP, OEM SP1 to repair a OEM SP2 install. Or Retail SP1 to
repair a Retail SP2 install.

Message has been deleted

kurttrail

May 29, 2005, 4:00:56 PM5/29/05
Stephen wrote:
> "Liar" is a little harsh here. Someone may not have their facts
> right, but that doesn't make them a liar. And even Windows wizzes
> can't cover everything so although he might be mistaken, "fraud" too
> is a little harsh, at least in my opinion.

And who the f*^ck are you? Do you know Carey's track record of being
wrong? If you don't then you should just shut the f*^ck up!

John

May 29, 2005, 8:28:18 PM5/29/05
yes, it was already set to passive.

regards

"Steve N." <m...@here.now> wrote in message

Steve N.

May 29, 2005, 10:37:44 PM5/29/05
Stephen wrote:

> "Liar" is a little harsh here. Someone may not have their facts right, but
> that doesn't make them a liar. And even Windows wizzes can't cover
> everything so although he might be mistaken, "fraud" too is a little harsh,
> at least in my opinion.

Hey Stephen,

I appreciate your reply and concern.

I don't know which of these NGs you regularly participate in, but over
in xp.gen Carey Frisch is a proven liar and fraud.

I'm sorry if my post seems harsh to you, but Carey has admitted in the
past that he never pays any attention to criticism unless it is negative
and insulting and I'm just trying (along with some other regulars over
there) to get him to either wake up and change his crappy habits, or
shut the hell up.

This is the first time (that I know of) that another MVP has publicly
corrected him in xp.gen and he's still back-pedalling and spouting
bullcrap over it. He didn't test the scanario in question (I know,
because I did, on my own machine and at the expense of my own time,
effort and potential data loss, and guess what? It worked!) and he still
doesn't cop to this or any other "mistakes" he has made! That proves to
me (and many others) that he has no respect for the rest of us non-MVP
regulars who have the balls to challenge him. I don't know about you,
but in my mind that makes him a fraud and someone who habitually tells
lies and is unrepentive is just a liar, plain and simple.

At best Carey is a copy/paste bot that is sometimes right (mostly by
accident, I think), at worst he's a liar and a fraud that has no concern
for actually helping people, he apparently just wants to keep his MVP
title by being so prolific with posts citing MS KB articles and
propaganda (even if they have no bearing on the issues raised or
questions asked) in so many newsgroups that he can't possibly lose. Well
guess what? The rest of us are wise to his BS and are calling him on it.

Don't take my word for it, do your own research on this clown.

Steve

Ted Zieglar

May 29, 2005, 10:52:55 PM5/29/05
< lol > I've been reading Carey's posts for years. He is consistently right
on the money, as much as any human being can be, and I've learned a great
deal from his answers to peoples' questions. Which is more than I can say
for you.

Ted Zieglar

"Steve N." <m...@here.now> wrote in message

David Candy

May 29, 2005, 11:17:02 PM5/29/05
But he is bland. He does not have a personality. He needs a good flame war so we can see who he really is.

Dilip

May 30, 2005, 4:32:46 AM5/30/05
>> Are you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk
>> altogether?
>
> Yes.

Well yes, then, of course this would work. The problem might be getting one
of those disks from the manufacturer. There was never a doubt in my mind
that a roll back of SP2 to SP1 could be performed with an SP1 disk - I've
deleted all the uninstall directories and done this earlier (I've messed a
*lot* with installations :-). The real deal was to *get* this disk from the
OEM (if a slipstreamed SP2 disk was supplied originally) which I suspect,
they may fuss about. Has anyone tried this?

>> In that case, would there be product key complications,
>> and where could this be procured from.
>
> As long as the WinXP SP1 OS is of the same type as the original WinXP SP2
> OS installation, there will be no product key complications.
>

>> I hate to say this, but Carey might be right this time?
>
> Nope.

No surprises there; we all know it 8-).

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 8:48:25 AM5/30/05
Ted Zieglar wrote:
> < lol > I've been reading Carey's posts for years. He is consistently
> right on the money, as much as any human being can be, and I've learned
> a great deal from his answers to peoples' questions. Which is more than
> I can say for you.
>
> Ted Zieglar

I admit it when I'm wrong. Carey never does, and he is NOT consistently
right on the money. He gives rote answers that often don't even apply to
the questions asked and he doesn't test or research things before
answering. I do test and research my answers and I've proven him wrong
many times, as have others. Sure, he's right many times, and anyone is
allowed to make mistakes, but he lacks the respect for people to follow
up or admit it when he's wrong and he refuses to learn anything from
anyone else. He diverts issues or merely repeats himself when
confronted, that is if he even bothers to reply at all.

Steve

Message has been deleted

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 9:16:26 AM5/30/05
Ted Zieglar wrote:
> < lol > I've been reading Carey's posts for years. He is consistently
> right on the money, as much as any human being can be, and I've
> learned a great deal from his answers to peoples' questions. Which is
> more than I can say for you.

LOL! Then you are blind, deaf, and dumb, and I don't mean the latter as
in you are incapable of speaking.

Carey is the most consistently wrong regular, MVP or non-MVP, in XP-gen.
He often misreads post, so that what he copies and pastes often has
nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

And the only thing that is consistent about Carey is that he copies and
paste his answers. And if you didn't know how to copy and paste then
Carey would be an authority on that, and that only! Carey regurgitates
the answers of others, and hasn't shown that to me that he knows
ANYTHING about computing, other than copying and pasting, and how to use
OE as a newsreader, and I've reading his posts for at least the last 3
years.

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 9:24:44 AM5/30/05
Dilip wrote:
>>> Are you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk
>>> altogether?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Well yes, then, of course this would work.

Not according to Carey. He categorically denied that it would work.

> The problem might be
> getting one of those disks from the manufacturer.

"Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by

reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation?"

One would presume that the OP already had access to the SP1 CD, if he
was asking whether is could help in downgrading to SP2 to SP1.

> There was never a
> doubt in my mind that a roll back of SP2 to SP1 could be performed
> with an SP1 disk - I've deleted all the uninstall directories and
> done this earlier (I've messed a *lot* with installations :-). The
> real deal was to *get* this disk from the OEM (if a slipstreamed SP2
> disk was supplied originally) which I suspect, they may fuss about.
> Has anyone tried this?

I don't see that as a relevant question in this thread. But I doubt an
OEM would supply any CD media that it is not required to supply.

>>> In that case, would there be product key complications,
>>> and where could this be procured from.
>>
>> As long as the WinXP SP1 OS is of the same type as the original
>> WinXP SP2 OS installation, there will be no product key
>> complications.
>>> I hate to say this, but Carey might be right this time?
>>
>> Nope.
>
> No surprises there; we all know it 8-).

LOL! At least most of us know it. :)

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 9:30:18 AM5/30/05
Stephen wrote:

> Well one thing I intend to do is set up the scenario - I'm curious.

The scenario of an SP1 repair install over SP2? I just did it yesterday,
so did Torgeir. Niether of us had any problems, but go right ahead, the
more the merrier. It actually went very quickly and there wasn't a need
to re-activate either.

Steve

lucyfer

May 30, 2005, 9:32:18 AM5/30/05
Have you ever tried? I don't aggree with you base on my experience.
"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.B...@hydro.com>
??????:uF4AZMGZ...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
>> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
>> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
> Hi,
>
> Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
> actually remove SP2.
>
> From
>
> <quote>
> Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
> will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
> </quote>

David Candy

May 30, 2005, 9:32:52 AM5/30/05
Come on Carey defend yourself. I can teach you how to swear if you don't know how. I can teach you to be really abusive. I can show you threads by your namesake (who interviewed Doug Knox on some yankee computer radio show with ads on baldness and weight loss) on how to conduct a strategic offensive. I can show you how to humilate people without swearing as well by clinically disecting someone with utter psychobabble.

FIGHT!!!! Email me for tips.

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 9:52:40 AM5/30/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Q: "Does that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
> out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?".
>
> A: Only as long as the "uninstall" files for the Service Packs exist. If the
> Service Pack uninstall files do not exist, as in the case of a slipstreamed
> version, then the Service Pack cannot be uninstalled.
>
> I have actually tried performing a Repair Install using the original RTM
> Windows XP CD or a Windows XP CD with SP1 after having deleted
> the SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) in Windows Explorer.
> The only repair install that will work is with a Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed.
>
> With a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows XP SP2, the
> SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) does not exist,
> therefore SP2 cannot be uninstalled manually or via a repair install using
> a pre-SP2 Windows XP CD.

Are you really that dense? You've got to be lying about actually trying
it because I just did it yesterday and so did Torgeir. Clean install
from an XP Pro SP2 CD, then a repair install from an XP Pro SP1 CD. No
errors, period. Not even a re-activation required. The box is now
running XP Pro SP1.

Steve

Ted Zieglar

May 30, 2005, 9:54:23 AM5/30/05
I can see why you are a "Self-anointed Moderator". Who else would?

Ted Zieglar

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 10:02:18 AM5/30/05
David Candy wrote:

> Come on Carey defend yourself. I can teach you how to swear if you
> don't know how. I can teach you to be really abusive. I can show you
> threads by your namesake (who interviewed Doug Knox on some yankee
> computer radio show with ads on baldness and weight loss) on how to
> conduct a strategic offensive. I can show you how to humilate people
> without swearing as well by clinically disecting someone with utter
> psychobabble.
>
> FIGHT!!!! Email me for tips.

ROFLMAO! You're too much David!

Steve

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

May 30, 2005, 9:59:58 AM5/30/05
lucyfer wrote:

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.B...@hydro.com> wrote:
>
>> Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD
>> will actually remove SP2.
>>
>> From
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> <quote>
>> Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
>> will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
>> </quote>
>

> Have you ever tried? I don't aggree with you base on my
> experience.

Hi,

Yes, I have tried it, and it works fine (read the rest of the posts
in this thread).

But note that you *must* boot on the WinXP SP1 CD, you can not insert
the WinXP SP1 CD on a running WinXP SP2 installation and select
"Install Windows XP", that will give you the error message "Setup
cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD."

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 10:28:40 AM5/30/05
David Candy wrote:
> Come on Carey defend yourself. I can teach you how to swear if you
> don't know how. I can teach you to be really abusive. I can show you
> threads by your namesake (who interviewed Doug Knox on some yankee
> computer radio show with ads on baldness and weight loss) on how to
> conduct a strategic offensive. I can show you how to humilate people
> without swearing as well by clinically disecting someone with utter
> psychobabble.
>
> FIGHT!!!! Email me for tips.

Yes, but can you teach him how to copy and paste it, David?! ;-)

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 10:33:01 AM5/30/05
Ted Zieglar wrote:
> I can see why you are a "Self-anointed Moderator". Who else would?

LOL! I have that in my sig to make fun of myself, so if you are gonna
try to make of me, why don't you try to think up something original.

I just love it when morons like you abandon everything in a thread to
come after me!

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 10:46:21 AM5/30/05
kurttrail wrote:

> David Candy wrote:
>
>>Come on Carey defend yourself. I can teach you how to swear if you
>>don't know how. I can teach you to be really abusive. I can show you
>>threads by your namesake (who interviewed Doug Knox on some yankee
>>computer radio show with ads on baldness and weight loss) on how to
>>conduct a strategic offensive. I can show you how to humilate people
>>without swearing as well by clinically disecting someone with utter
>>psychobabble.
>>
>>FIGHT!!!! Email me for tips.
>>

> Yes, but can you teach him how to copy and paste it, David?! ;-)

LOL!

Do you really think he needs any help with that?

Steve

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 10:39:50 AM5/30/05
lucyfer wrote:
> Have you ever tried? I don't aggree with you base on my experience.

so did R. McCarty.

All three are well known as being quite technically knowledgable, and
are men of integrity, and even if I don't always agree with them on
matters of opinion, I respect them.

You, who knows you but other disreputable demons?!

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 12:06:21 PM5/30/05
kurttrail wrote:

> lucyfer wrote:
>
>>Have you ever tried? I don't aggree with you base on my experience.

> so did R. McCarty.

I must have missed R's report, I'll have to look for it.

I can attest that I not only tried but suceeded and it went rather
quickly, too. No errors, no problems, no re-activation. As a matter of
fact, I actually went the extra mile and did it twice, once with an
upgraded to SP2 XP Pro install and once with a clean install of SP2 XP
Pro and it worked in both cases exactly the same.

> All three are well known as being quite technically knowledgable, and
> are men of integrity, and even if I don't always agree with them on
> matters of opinion, I respect them.
>
> You, who knows you but other disreputable demons?!

This is one reason why I hate crossposting, the devil always shows up
sooner or later.

Thanks for the respect and compliments Kurt, I assure you it is mutual.
If we always agreed conversations would likely get even more boring
around here.

Steve

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 12:09:48 PM5/30/05
Steve N. wrote:

> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> lucyfer wrote:
>>
>>> Have you ever tried? I don't aggree with you base on my experience.

>> And so did R. McCarty.
>

> I must have missed R's report, I'll have to look for it.

Doh! Brain-fart. I even replied to him. Nevermind.

Steve

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 1:15:16 PM5/30/05
Steve N. wrote:
> Steve N. wrote:
>
>> kurttrail wrote:
>>> And so did R. McCarty.
>>
>> I must have missed R's report, I'll have to look for it.
>
> Doh! Brain-fart. I even replied to him. Nevermind.

LOL! At least brain-farts don't smell. Just too bad they hardly ever
happen in private! :)

Dilip

May 30, 2005, 1:41:11 PM5/30/05

>>> Yes.
>>
>> Well yes, then, of course this would work.
>
> Not according to Carey. He categorically denied that it would work.
>
>> The problem might be
>> getting one of those disks from the manufacturer.
>
> "Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
> reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation?"
>
> One would presume that the OP already had access to the SP1 CD, if he was
> asking whether is could help in downgrading to SP2 to SP1.

Ah, but in the reply to Jupiter's post, the OP says this
The dell pc came pre-installed with sp2.

So it's a pretty new piece, and he wouldn't have the SP1 SS disk...

>> There was never a
>> doubt in my mind that a roll back of SP2 to SP1 could be performed
>> with an SP1 disk - I've deleted all the uninstall directories and
>> done this earlier (I've messed a *lot* with installations :-). The
>> real deal was to *get* this disk from the OEM (if a slipstreamed SP2
>> disk was supplied originally) which I suspect, they may fuss about. Has
>> anyone tried this?
>
> I don't see that as a relevant question in this thread. But I doubt an
> OEM would supply any CD media that it is not required to supply.

I realize that it may be off topic, but it is related; I hope you vouch for
it ;-) My point is that it will not be easy.

>>> Nope.
>>
>> No surprises there; we all know it 8-).
>
> LOL! At least most of us know it. :)

No surprises there for any of the regulars, I'm sure. It seems to be
perfectly succinct that Carey's misinformed and ill-researched posts are,
and have been deleterious, not only to the OP, but also to the rest of the
group. Thanks to all who have posted their empirical data. Original posts
are greatly appreciated.

Star Fleet Admiral Q

May 30, 2005, 6:41:03 PM5/30/05
Carey,
You're full of it, we do this every day with PC's that are delivered
with SP2 installed at the factory. We pop in the SP1 CD, do the repair
install, and install all hotfixes applying to SP1 except the SP2 update.
There are no "UNINSTALL" files as the CD's accompanying the PC's has SP2
slipstreamed in - that's why MS always says to reinstall "hotfixes" and
"service packs" as applicable after a "REPAIR" install - it brings the OS
back down to the baseline found on the CD and/or image.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

> Q: "Does that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will
> take
> out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?".
>
> A: Only as long as the "uninstall" files for the Service Packs exist. If
> the
> Service Pack uninstall files do not exist, as in the case of a
> slipstreamed
> version, then the Service Pack cannot be uninstalled.
>
> I have actually tried performing a Repair Install using the original
> RTM
> Windows XP CD or a Windows XP CD with SP1 after having deleted
> the SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) in
> Windows Explorer.
> The only repair install that will work is with a Windows XP CD with
> SP2 slipstreamed.
>
> With a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows XP SP2, the
> SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) does not
> exist,
> therefore SP2 cannot be uninstalled manually or via a repair install
> using
> a pre-SP2 Windows XP CD.
>

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
> | If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
> | I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
> | else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
> | need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does

Star Fleet Admiral Q

May 30, 2005, 6:44:00 PM5/30/05
Maybe Steve N could be a little nicer, but Carey does have a habit of
spouting off about things he is totally incorrect about, and then trying to
make the ones who are correcting him look foolish. I knew a guy in
high-school like that one, after he got his butt kicked a few times in
college, he quit doing it - strange how that works (not saying we should
kick Carey's butt either), just Carey needs to focus more on "QUALITY" than
"QUANTITY".

--

"Stephen" <ste...@online.nospam> wrote in message

> Steve N. wrote:

>>> Now how can I put this mildly?...
>>>
>>> I just did it with a clean install of XP Pro OEM SP2 and did a repair

>>> install from an XP Pro OEM SP1 CD. No errors, no problems, the box is

>>> now running XP Pro SP1.

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 7:22:23 PM5/30/05
Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:

> Maybe Steve N could be a little nicer, but Carey does have a habit of
> spouting off about things he is totally incorrect about, and then trying to
> make the ones who are correcting him look foolish. I knew a guy in
> high-school like that one, after he got his butt kicked a few times in
> college, he quit doing it - strange how that works (not saying we should
> kick Carey's butt either), just Carey needs to focus more on "QUALITY" than
> "QUANTITY".

Carey doesn't pay attention to "nice". But don't take my word for it,
take his.

-Steve

Carey Frisch [MVP] Oct 10 2004, 3:59 pm
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfri...@nospamgmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:59:52 -0500
Subject: Re: You give MVPs a bad name

Steve wrote:

"

Look, Carey, I'm not really trying to attack you personally, but
dog-gone it, you have got some really bad habits and I and others have
tried in various ways to point them out to you. Are you really so dense
and/or egotistical to summarily dismiss such criticisms without
considering that some of them may actually have valid points that you
might be able to learn something from and (heaven forbid!) actually
IMPROVE your performance here? Come on! Nobody can possibly be that
arrogantly egotistical to believe they are as perfect as you apparently
believe yourself to be. No one is above reproach, not even you.
I dare you to be honest

."

My reply:

Indeed, many of the criticisms of my contributions to the Microsoft
newsgroups
do not fall on deaf ears. I sometimes get a bit cranky, edgy,
defensive, etc., put then
I reflect back and do my best to make adjustments. And believe it or
not, it was
some of the harshest and/or sarcastic criticisms that made me take note!
I am also
a Taurus, and as a stubborn "bull", I'm a bit slow to readjust.
Apparently, I was
nominated twice for an MVP award a few years ago, but never got it. I made
some significant adjustments and finally earned the award, but it took a lot
of determined effort. Now that I have earned the award, it is incumbent
upon me
to become even more proficient and accurate with my posts, and to
reflect a positive
attitude toward Microsoft and Microsoft products (although I'm not at
all pressured
to do so). So, there you have it.

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 7:49:47 PM5/30/05
Dilip wrote:
> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:esVl5rRZ...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

>>> Well yes, then, of course this would work.
>>
>> Not according to Carey. He categorically denied that it would work.
>>
>>> The problem might be
>>> getting one of those disks from the manufacturer.
>>
>> "Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
>> reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation?"
>>
>> One would presume that the OP already had access to the SP1 CD, if
>> he was asking whether is could help in downgrading to SP2 to SP1.
>

> Ah, but in the reply to Jupiter's post, the OP says this
> The dell pc came pre-installed with sp2.
>
> So it's a pretty new piece, and he wouldn't have the SP1 SS disk...

And if you read futher in his reply to Juppy, it sounds like a work PC
where they probably do have access to an earily XP install CD.

"All pre-sp2 pcs work fine."

>>> There was never a
>>> doubt in my mind that a roll back of SP2 to SP1 could be performed
>>> with an SP1 disk - I've deleted all the uninstall directories and
>>> done this earlier (I've messed a *lot* with installations :-). The
>>> real deal was to *get* this disk from the OEM (if a slipstreamed SP2
>>> disk was supplied originally) which I suspect, they may fuss about.
>>> Has anyone tried this?
>>
>> I don't see that as a relevant question in this thread. But I doubt
>> an OEM would supply any CD media that it is not required to supply.
>

> I realize that it may be off topic, but it is related; I hope you
> vouch for it ;-) My point is that it will not be easy.

And I definitely agree with your point, but I still doubt it is relevant
to this particular situation.

>>> No surprises there; we all know it 8-).
>>
>> LOL! At least most of us know it. :)
>

> No surprises there for any of the regulars, I'm sure. It seems to be
> perfectly succinct that Carey's misinformed and ill-researched posts
> are, and have been deleterious, not only to the OP, but also to the
> rest of the group. Thanks to all who have posted their empirical
> data. Original posts are greatly appreciated.

Yep, they definitely are! Take care, Dilip!

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 9:32:04 PM5/30/05
John wrote:

> yes, it was already set to passive.
>
> regards

You have my sincere symapthies. I have also run into problems with SP2
and networking that I've been unable to resolve. There are things that
SP2 obviously changes in networking that are just not documented that I
can find (and I'm pretty damn thorough in my researches). For me rolling
back to SP1 has been the only solution for several strange networking
issues.

Steve

> "Steve N." <m...@here.now> wrote in message

>>John wrote:
>>

>>>I have got a couple of new pcs coming in the same configuration. If I
>>>repair-install with sp1 before installing any app, would that work?
>>>Obviously I can always completely wipe off and start with sp1 on a pc but
>>>whatever is quickest.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>
>>Did you try setting FTP to passive mode as I suggested?
>>
>>Steve
>>

>>>"lucyfer" <lucy...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 9:53:51 PM5/30/05
Steve N. wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> yes, it was already set to passive.
>>
>> regards
>
> You have my sincere symapthies. I have also run into problems with SP2
> and networking that I've been unable to resolve. There are things that
> SP2 obviously changes in networking that are just not documented that
> I can find (and I'm pretty damn thorough in my researches). For me
> rolling back to SP1 has been the only solution for several strange
> networking issues.

Luckily, he can fairly easily roll back to SP1, as longas you don't
listen to Carey or the devil! One in the same? ;-)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 30, 2005, 10:13:21 PM5/30/05
If the original OP has a follow-up question, I will respond.
I do not respond to trolls.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Newsgroups

Steve N.

May 30, 2005, 10:58:30 PM5/30/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> If the original OP has a follow-up question, I will respond.

He did and you repeated the same crap which was proven wrong by three
other people, one another MVP.

> I do not respond to trolls.

Excuse me? Are you calling me a troll now?

Respond to the proof that you were wrong.

Steve

nospam

May 30, 2005, 11:10:57 PM5/30/05

"Carey Pinch [MVP]" <cnfr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If the PoPee has a follow-up question, I will respond.

> I do not respond to trolls.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>

> Don't get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Retard Security Technologies:
> http://www.pcbanter.net/printthread.php?t=773670

troll..........

http://www.cpfeifer.org/archives/000239.html

http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-67140.html

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 11:07:31 PM5/30/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> If the original OP has a follow-up question, I will respond.
> I do not respond to trolls.

What's you talkin' bout Willis?

If you are calling Steve a troll, you just responded to him by saying
you do not respond to trolls! If you are talkin' about me, you
responded to me earlier in this thread, despite you telling me "Asta la
Vista" months ago!

This is the recent post in this thread where you responded to me:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/c186f16815db8bed/5350a2c3206dfb66

And this is the post you promised that I was on your blocked senders
list!
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/3f1e2f84683928e8/619c41ed96396dd0

So if you meant either Steve or Me, you just made a bigger fool of
yourself than you already are!

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 11:12:31 PM5/30/05
Steve N. wrote:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> If the original OP has a follow-up question, I will respond.
>
> He did and you repeated the same crap which was proven wrong by three
> other people, one another MVP.

Yeah, the OP emailed me, and he wants to know why Carey has his head up
his ass? Carey can you respond to that? ;-)

>> I do not respond to trolls.
>>

> Excuse me? Are you calling me a troll now?

I'm not certain, but it can only logically be you or me.

> Respond to the proof that you were wrong.

I'd pay to see that!

kurttrail

May 30, 2005, 11:16:41 PM5/30/05

David Candy

May 31, 2005, 1:51:00 AM5/31/05
Go Carey, good start.

Now find some flimsy evidence of trolling and post that.

Steve N.

Jun 1, 2005, 3:29:30 PM6/1/05
Steve N. wrote:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> If the original OP has a follow-up question, I will respond.
>

> He did and you repeated the same crap which was proven wrong by three
> other people, one another MVP.
>
>> I do not respond to trolls.
>>

> Excuse me? Are you calling me a troll now?
>
> Respond to the proof that you were wrong.
>
> Steve

Figures. A few days have elapsed with no resonse from you when
confronted. You are not only a liar and a fraud, but a coward as well.
Several of us have proven you to be wrong on this. Own up to to it, or
sacrifice your teetering if not nose-diving credibility, Carey.

Until then, you are nothing more than another a-hole with a modem.

As I've said before, you give MVPs a bad name.

Steve

kurttrail

Jun 1, 2005, 3:35:13 PM6/1/05

I second that emotion!

Steve N.

Jun 1, 2005, 4:21:47 PM6/1/05
kurttrail wrote:

> Steve N. wrote:
>
>>Steve N. wrote:

>>>He did and you repeated the same crap which was proven wrong by three
>>>other people, one another MVP.

>>>Excuse me? Are you calling me a troll now?
>>>
>>>Respond to the proof that you were wrong.
>>>
>>>Steve
>>
>>Figures. A few days have elapsed with no resonse from you when
>>confronted. You are not only a liar and a fraud, but a coward as well.
>>Several of us have proven you to be wrong on this. Own up to to it, or
>>sacrifice your teetering if not nose-diving credibility, Carey.
>>
>>Until then, you are nothing more than another a-hole with a modem.
>>
>>As I've said before, you give MVPs a bad name.
>>
>>Steve
>

> I second that emotion!

He's probably plonked me now, too.
The utimate defence of a usenet coward.

Steve

kurttrail

Jun 1, 2005, 4:33:00 PM6/1/05

I thought Carey had plonked me too, but then he goes and responds to me
once in this thread. As it stands, there is only one regular left that
still has me plonked that I can figure, and that's Ken Blake, and I
suspect he may not even have me blocked, just has the self-control not
to reply. Everyone else that has said in the past that they have
plonked me seems to have unblocked me!

Steve N.

Jun 1, 2005, 5:29:33 PM6/1/05
kurttrail wrote:

Plonked, blocked, not responding, all the same thing in my mind and all
shere the common denomiator of cowardice. Everyone else worth their salt
comes forth and cops to confrontation, right or wrong, whether anyone
else agrees with them or not, they speak their minds, and rightly so.
The really honest ones admit when they are wrong and stand their ground
when they believe they ae right when confronted with meaningless and
diversionary drivel. Otherwise they are just cowards.

Steve

kurttrail

Jun 1, 2005, 6:39:32 PM6/1/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Although it is not recommended, you would need an older pre-SP2 Dell
> Reinstallation CD and then proceed with a repair install. Please be
> aware that you will sacrifice any Dell support for Windows XP in the
> future since you are altering the O/S with an older O/S.
>
> Also, you cannot use a Windows XP "retail version" CD with the Dell
> Product Key.
> The trick is finding an older pre-SP2 Dell Reinstallation CD to use
> for the repair procedure.

LOL! This is as close to an admission that he was wrong as we are gonna
get.

Steve N.

Jun 2, 2005, 1:31:41 PM6/2/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Although it is not recommended, you would need an older pre-SP2 Dell
> Reinstallation CD and then proceed with a repair install.

A bit of back-peddaling now, eh Carey? :)

> Please be aware
> that you will sacrifice any Dell support for Windows XP in the future since
> you are altering the O/S with an older O/S.

I don't believe that is true. The XP OEM EULA provides for the use of a
previous version of Windows all the way back to Windows 98. The OEM is
still responsible to support the OS under the terms of the OEM EULA. A
difference in SP levels is trivial by comparison.

> Also, you cannot use a Windows XP "retail version" CD with the Dell Product
> Key.
> The trick is finding an older pre-SP2 Dell Reinstallation CD to use for the
> repair procedure.

A Dell OEM CD will not install on a non-Dell computer because it is
BIOS-locked. The opposite is not necessarily true and I've done it in
several cases. Try it and see; the proof is in the putting.

Steve

Steve N.

Jun 2, 2005, 1:37:01 PM6/2/05
kurttrail wrote:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>>Although it is not recommended, you would need an older pre-SP2 Dell
>>Reinstallation CD and then proceed with a repair install. Please be
>>aware that you will sacrifice any Dell support for Windows XP in the
>>future since you are altering the O/S with an older O/S.
>>
>>Also, you cannot use a Windows XP "retail version" CD with the Dell
>>Product Key.
>>The trick is finding an older pre-SP2 Dell Reinstallation CD to use
>>for the repair procedure.
>

> LOL! This is as close to an admission that he was wrong as we are gonna
> get.

Yeah, it went from:

"If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort."

"Although it is not recommended, you would need an older pre-SP2 Dell
Reinstallation CD and then proceed with a repair install."

:)

The requirement that it be a pre-SP2 *Dell* CD is up for debate, too.
I've used non-Dell OEM CDs to install on Dell PCs successfuly.

Steve

kurttrail

Jun 2, 2005, 2:08:52 PM6/2/05

LOL! You expect too much from Carey, and you need to grade him on the
Bell Curve, Steve. He is on a Bell Curve all by himself, and at the
very low end of that curve! ;-)