Help With Windows XP(SP2).

Zach

Apr 17, 2008, 7:46:02 AM4/17/08
I keep trying to update my windows, but every time i try to, it gets about
2/3 done and then closes and says "Unable to read from or write to database"
What do I do?

Gerry

Apr 17, 2008, 10:24:07 AM4/17/08
Zach

What exactly do you mean by update? From what to what?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zach

Apr 17, 2008, 5:30:21 PM4/17/08

What I mean is the update from Windows XP(SP1) to Windows XP(SP2), which
came out just recently

PD43

Apr 17, 2008, 6:14:14 PM4/17/08
Zach <Za...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>What I mean is the update from Windows XP(SP1) to Windows XP(SP2), which
>came out just recently

This just in: LINCOLN ASSASSINATED.

SP2 was released in August of 2004.

Jim

Apr 17, 2008, 6:19:55 PM4/17/08

"Zach" <Za...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> What I mean is the update from Windows XP(SP1) to Windows XP(SP2), which
> came out just recently

Is 2004 recent?

Right now, you might as well wait for SP3 because its release is not far
off. And, before you install such a massive update, make certain that your
computer is malware free..

Jim

Daave

Apr 17, 2008, 6:32:05 PM4/17/08
Zach wrote:
> What I mean is the update from Windows XP(SP1) to Windows XP(SP2),
> which came out just recently

Typo? It is the unsupported *testing* versions of SP*3* that have come
out recently; SP2 has been around for four years!

Daave

Apr 17, 2008, 6:35:41 PM4/17/08

Zach

Apr 18, 2008, 8:24:01 AM4/18/08

ok i followed the instructions in the first link you gave me, but i ran into
a problem.
I was able to reach step 2f but at step 2g it tells me to delet the file
"Edbxxxxx.log"
the problem is that when I get to the folder the Edbxxxxx.log file is not in
there. i have gone over the instructions many times and I am perfectly sure I
followed the instructions correctly. what should i do?

Daave

Apr 18, 2008, 8:52:28 AM4/18/08

In the event you need to view hidden files:

Open Windows Explorer (one way is by double-clicking your My Computer
icon).

Tools | Folder Options:

On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, make sure "Show
hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating
system files" is unchecked. Also, if not already done, uncheck "Hide
extensions for known file types." Click "Apply."

*** Important: Files are hidden by Windows for a very good reason.
It is not wise to experiment with these files. Unfortunately, to
successfully complete the following steps we must turn this protection
off temporarily. Please turn the protection back on when you have
finished. ***

Zach

Apr 18, 2008, 5:06:01 PM4/18/08

no, you see the problem isn't that they are hidden, because i have found the
folder, and there are other files there but the file it tells me to find and
delete is NOT there.

PD43

Apr 18, 2008, 5:18:07 PM4/18/08
Zach <Za...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

There is a thing called "quoting what you are replying to" that will
simplify matters for those reading this.

ANONYMOUS

Apr 18, 2008, 6:03:51 PM4/18/08
Have you tried downloading the big file on your system first and then install it
from there? You get the file from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

You have scanned your system for spywares and viruses right? If not you will
need to unless you do a clean install and not go online before installing the
SP2 which you can download and save on a flash drive.

hth

Daave

Apr 19, 2008, 9:51:20 AM4/19/08

Zach, it's always good to trim posts, but please don't trim
*everything*! In case I miss something or I don't see your post, others
may want to join in to help. But if there is no context, they will not
know what you are talking about.

You were following the instructions found on this page:

Error message that you receive when you try to update a Windows XP-based
computer to Windows XP Service Pack 2 by visiting the Windows Update Web
site: "Unable to read from or write to database"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=915169

You said:

> I was able to reach step 2f but at step 2g it tells me to delet the
> file
> "Edbxxxxx.log" the problem is that when I get to the folder the
> Edbxxxxx.log file is not in there.

Perhaps you shouldn't worry about that; I don't have that file in the
Security folder, either. Just start the Cryptographic service (step 3)
and try SP2 once more.

Point of clarification:

In an earlier post you said:

> What I mean is the update from Windows XP(SP1) to Windows XP(SP2),
> which came out just recently

SP2 did *not* just come out recently. It has been around for four years!
Are you perhaps referring to SP3? If so, you should not install it until
the final release candidate comes out (it's still in the testing phase).

Assuming you are talking about SP2, perhaps you should just download the
whole kit and caboodle (which might also come in handy should you ever
wish to slipstream):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

The file name is WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe .

Although the page is titled "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network
Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers," anyone can
download and use this file.

Zach

Apr 21, 2008, 5:18:02 PM4/21/08

"Jim" wrote:

> well i tried to update to window xp sp3 but when i tryed it got all the way to were the files are being extracted, and it said something like 'the programs found were not the ones expected'

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 21, 2008, 5:26:40 PM4/21/08
(if any)? Have you tried temporarily disabling all of these applications
before attempting to install SP2?

See these tips:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/8ff0889f503787af

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

http://aumha.net/index.php?c=16 (in subforums)

Previous discussions of this problem:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?qt_s=1&q=%22Unable+to+read+from+or+write+to+database%22
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Zach

Apr 21, 2008, 5:54:58 PM4/21/08

Okay. i still can't get the SP2 to work but i am now trying a previously
stated suggestion and I have tried to update to SP3, but i am now having
trouble with that, if you would like to help please follow this link to
another post i made:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dotnet.general&mid=e10ffc27-9df1-4ee8-9730-25301b02e8cf

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 21, 2008, 7:25:13 PM4/21/08
Why did you begin a new thread, especially in that newsgroup, of all places?

If SP2 wouldn't install properly, it doesn't make any sense to install what
is currently a beta version of a later Service Pack, Zach.

See my previous reply to this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/2c19d0d8bb2843a2