Disable Autorun, not Autoplay. Solved!

1 view

ju.c

Jan 15, 2009, 5:55:02 AM1/15/09
I found out how to disable Autorun while keeping all the functionality of Autoplay!
(Every other tip to disable Autorun also disabled Autoplay)

1. Copy below and paste into Notepad.

----------copy inside only----------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]
@="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

----------copy inside only----------

2. Save-as Autorun_Disable.reg (or any name + .reg)

3. Double-click or right-click and merge into the registry.

The effect is immediate, no restart or logoff required.

ju.c

JCO

Jan 15, 2009, 10:42:08 AM1/15/09
Why would you want to disable the autorun? Just curious. The autorun
usually happens when the CD contains an autorun.inf file.

The link below has a fix for that can be downloaded. This tool can turn the
autoplay on or off and for any drives you have. When I put my flash drive
in, I want my computer to have a popup asking me what to do. I usually
click on the default that brings Windows Explorer up so I can work on the
files.
http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/78677/jsi-tip-6952-autofix-freeware-can-fix-problems-with-windows-xp-autoplay.html

"ju.c" <bibidybu...@mailnator.com> wrote in message

Laura Fredericks

Jan 15, 2009, 11:41:52 AM1/15/09

--
Laura Fredericks
PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

Usenet Flamewars:
http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

Remove CLOTHES to reply.

_Z

Jan 16, 2009, 3:10:38 AM1/16/09

Laura Fredericks wrote:
> "Sorry the page you are trying to reach is temporarily unavailable or
> the page no longer exists."

Laura,
Works now.

ju.c

Jan 16, 2009, 7:49:56 AM1/16/09
> "Why would you want to disable Autorun?"
So setup installers don't automatically run.

Read my Autoplay tutorial:

Windows XP Autoplay Repairing Tutorial

Autoplay requires the Shell Hardware Detection service, make sure
it's set to automatic and is running. To access Services, open the
Run box and enter: %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s

CD-ROM May Not Run Automatically in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314855

The Autorun.inf file and the programs that the Autorun.inf file is
designed to run may not run if you are logged on to Windows XP as
a user without either Power User or Administrator rights.
By default, only users who are logged on to Windows XP with Power
User or Administrator rights are allowed to install software. In
Windows XP, files that have an .inf extension are considered to be
setup information files. As a result, the Autorun.inf file does not
run if you do not have Power User or Administrator rights.

A users comment on a forum somewhere:

"I installed CCleaner today and it removed some obsolete CLSID registry
entries. Now AutoPlay works!"

CCleaner - Slim 900 KB (Freeware)
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

Make sure that this registry value is set to 0:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"allocatecdroms"="0"

And that this one is set as shown:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"Start"=dword:00000001
"Autorun"=dword:00000001

How to restore Autoplay to its default settings:

Enable/Disable Autoplay in Windows XP
http://www.typhoonsoftware.com/configxp.htm

Disable Autorun while keeping all the functionality of Autoplay!

1. Copy below and paste into Notepad.

----------copy inside only----------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]
@="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

----------copy inside only----------

2. Save-as Autorun_Disable.reg (or any name + .reg)

3. Double-click or right-click and merge into the registry.

The effect is immediate, no restart or logoff required.

The BEST software for fixing autoplay:

Autoplay Repair Wizard 1.0 77 KB (Freeware)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en

AutoPlayConfig 1.0 164 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.typhoonsoftware.com/autoplayconfig.htm
Download: http://www.autoruntyphoon.com/AutoPlayConfig.zip

Autoplay Repair 2.2.2 225 KB (Freeware)
Main page: http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~sddabacz/prog.php?id=apr
Homepage: http://www.orangeblue.net.ms/
Download: http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~sddabacz/apr/APR.zip

CleanHandlers 2.4 73 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoplayhandlers.htm
Download: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/cleanhandlers_2_4.zip

AutoRun Settings 0.x 9 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html
Download: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/autorunsettings.zip

ju.c

"JCO" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:OStjVfyd...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> Why would you want to disable the autorun? Just curious. The autorun
> usually happens when the CD contains an autorun.inf file.
>
> The link below has a fix for that can be downloaded. This tool can turn the
> autoplay on or off and for any drives you have. When I put my flash drive
> in, I want my computer to have a popup asking me what to do. I usually
> click on the default that brings Windows Explorer up so I can work on the
> files.
> http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/78677/jsi-tip-6952-autofix-freeware-can-fix-problems-with-windows-xp-autoplay.html

Laura Fredericks

Jan 16, 2009, 11:24:10 AM1/16/09

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:10:38 +1000, "_Z"
> Works now.

Nope. Same error.

Fyi, it's the *download* link that's not available, not the page,
itself. Perhaps I wasn't clear, sorry.

http://windowsitpro.com/Files/16/78677/Autofix.zip

Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBSXC0kaRseRzHUwOaEQJLbgCg3C0hPVR3Pc7HNCXEl5p0W6LH+xoAnjyy
o/1Ht/pdd/NgItDWbSVgIY8e
=kFoX

Swifty

Feb 1, 2009, 1:07:56 AM2/1/09
JCO wrote:
> Why would you want to disable the autorun? Just curious. The autorun
> usually happens when the CD contains an autorun.inf file.

There is, apparently, a nasty virus doing the rounds which has as one of
its strategems getting into your memory key and having its own autorun.inf

All you have to do is check that the memory key doesn't contain an
autorun.inf before you plug it into your PC. :-)

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html