Do you know the way to the hotfix referenced in 889320?

VorDesigns

Sep 10, 2008, 11:10:01 AM9/10/08
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889320/en-us makes a reference to a hotfix
which I have tried in vain to get from MS.
I was wondering if anyone ever received it?
I was wondering if anyone ever applied it?
I was wondering if anyone could prove that it actually exists?

Andrew E.

Sep 10, 2008, 11:18:03 AM9/10/08
Tried in vain,as in the link doesnt work or no hotfix is ever sent...The fix
is available,has been,only works with SP2 or less.Click on the hotfix in
the link
you provided,edit the "send to" page,you will recieve within a few hours.

MowGreen [MVP]

Sep 10, 2008, 3:13:11 PM9/10/08
Did you try the 'View and request hotfix downloads' link toward the top
left of the page ?
http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=889320&kbln=en-us

There's a later Version of Browse.dll included in SP3 than the one in
the hotfix.

As to the other 3 questions ...
Probably
Probably
Probably [Since there's a link to it in the KB article, there's a good
chance it exists]

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

VorDesigns

Sep 10, 2008, 3:42:10 PM9/10/08

"Andrew E." wrote:

> the link
> you provided,edit the "send to" page,you will recieve within a few hours.

Several attempts over the last three months, NEVER, EVER, EVER received
anything.

VorDesigns

Sep 10, 2008, 3:45:01 PM9/10/08
Been here, done this, just for S&G; I did it again.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 10, 2008, 3:46:26 PM9/10/08
1. Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

2. Is the Windows Firewall enabled or are you running a third-party
firewall?

3. If you disable the Windows Firewall service (via Start | Run |
services.msc), does the Computer Browser service (cf. services.msc again,
*not* IE or any other web browser) stop after five minutes and is Event ID
7023 then logged in the Event Viewer?

4. Right-click on C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\browser.dll <=this file | Properties |
Version: What version is displayed?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

VorDesigns

Sep 10, 2008, 5:06:17 PM9/10/08

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

:: WindowsXP SP2.

> 2. Is the Windows Firewall enabled or are you running a third-party
> firewall?

:: Windows Firewall disabled; Running Panda for Desktops with Network Secure
distributed and managed through Panda Admin Secure Console.

> 3. If you disable the Windows Firewall service (via Start | Run |
> services.msc), does the Computer Browser service (cf. services.msc again,
> *not* IE or any other web browser) stop after five minutes and is Event ID
> 7023 then logged in the Event Viewer?

:: Yes, this is event/error in question that I am seeking the patch to
resolve. Which I have again requested through the link and again, not
received.

> 4. Right-click on C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\browser.dll <=this file | Properties |
> Version: What version is displayed?

:: File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
:: Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 10, 2008, 5:32:05 PM9/10/08
Please have the courtesy to quote my entire post when you reply. Thank you.

> File Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Since (1) WinXP SP3 is available (and has been since early May), and since
(2) installing WinXP SP3 would give you BROWSER.DLL v5.1.2600.5512, and
since (3) KB889320's v5.1.2600.2586 is superseded by v5.1.2600.5512, one can
assume that MS is tacitly telling you to install WinXP SP3 to address the
issue.

=============================

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

<paste>

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Sep 10, 2008, 5:49:47 PM9/10/08
It's been hard keeping up with the OP..he's multiposted in so many different
groups.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
: Please have the courtesy to quote my entire post when you reply. Thank

:

Bruce Chambers

Sep 10, 2008, 10:21:13 PM9/10/08

According to the KB Article:

"If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download
available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this
section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support
to obtain the hotfix."

Just click on the aforementioned link.

--

Bruce Chambers