Windows Explorer locks with IE8

Sandbagger3

Oct 5, 2009, 4:44:10 PM10/5/09
Windows explorer locks when I open more than 3 tabs in IE8. The desktop stops
refreshing (I can grab Task manager and wipe the desktop clean, no icons just
the backgrount) and if I continue with IE8 the taskbar will stop responding.
Eventually the system goes slower and slower. Explorer uses about 45% of CPU
and IE8 opens for each tab I open and uses the rest. Sometimes lsass.exe
starts eating clock cycles and lock the system.
If I end Explorer process it doesn't restart automatically. It used to. I
have to start it as a new process and then the desktop comes back and the
process starts all over.
I have used every anti-virus, spyware, and registry program out there. I
have Symantec Endpoint running always.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have been stalling a wipe and
reinstall as reinstalling all my software would take a days.

MowGreen

Oct 5, 2009, 5:45:02 PM10/5/09
> I have Symantec Endpoint running always.

Uninstall IE8 from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Reboot.
If you want to install it again do so with Symantec ***completely and
totally*** disabled or the system will experience the same issue again.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 6, 2009, 1:13:04 AM10/6/09
Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In your newsreader:

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Sandbagger3

Oct 7, 2009, 2:54:01 PM10/7/09

I don't know that the problem is with IE8 since it continues to run after
Explorer.exe locks up. Reinstalling IE8 did not help so where should I post
it?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 7, 2009, 8:54:13 PM10/7/09
What part of "...seek support in IE General newsgroup" don't you understand?

No, reinstalling IE8 won't help.