IE8.0 installation issue

R. Ganesan

Feb 26, 2010, 10:37:01 PM2/26/10

(1) I have seperate copies of IE8.0 and Microsoft Malicious software removal
tool. When installing IE8.0 the installation is again prompting to download
Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, a copy of which anyway I already
have. Is there any way to point out the IE 8.0 installation to Microsoft
Malicious software removal tool path.

(2) I already use IE6.0 windows xp sp2 version. Is there any performance
criteria for me to choose IE8.0 over IE6.0?

Hope to get your replies and Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,
R. GANESAN.

Andrew E.

Feb 26, 2010, 11:29:01 PM2/26/10
If youre installing IE8 correctly & the right version for XP,then IE8
actually
will not install till it runs the malicious software removal tool..Actually
it
shouldnt even ask,it runs it auto before the install..Try installing from
microsoft update.

Bruce Chambers

Feb 27, 2010, 1:38:45 PM2/27/10
R. Ganesan wrote:
> (1) I have seperate copies of IE8.0 and Microsoft Malicious software removal
> tool. When installing IE8.0 the installation is again prompting to download
> Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, a copy of which anyway I already
> have. Is there any way to point out the IE 8.0 installation to Microsoft
> Malicious software removal tool path.

Is there any particular reason you didn't read the explanation
offered by the Windows Update site?

If that wasn't enough of an explanation for you, you need to read
the KB Article that describes the use of this tool. The MRT is updated
the second Tuesday of each month, appears as a "Critical Update" on the
Windows Update site, and runs only when and as "downloaded." Nothing is
actually installed on your computer; there's nothing to run at a later
date; there's nothing to ever uninstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830

> (2) I already use IE6.0 windows xp sp2 version. Is there any performance
> criteria for me to choose IE8.0 over IE6.0?

Performance criteria? No, not per se. However, IE6 is severely
hampered by security issues and with every new day there are fewer and
fewer websites that fully support it. You should, at the very least,
upgrade to IE7.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 27, 2010, 2:29:59 PM2/27/10
A1. No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
(only) is available via telephone (based on your locale) and has been
extended until 02 July 2010. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows
Vista in a non-domain environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

=> Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB978207). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

A2. One of the key benefits of install IE8 is its enhanced security. That
being said:

=> About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

=> Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

=======================

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In your newsreader:
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Bill in Co.

Feb 27, 2010, 2:48:21 PM2/27/10
Bruce Chambers wrote:

><snip>

> Performance criteria? No, not per se. However, IE6 is severely
> hampered by security issues and with every new day there are fewer and
> fewer websites that fully support it. You should, at the very least,
> upgrade to IE7.

Which commonly used websites don't work anymore on IE6 now that you're aware
of? (just curious).

Unknown

Feb 27, 2010, 3:58:28 PM2/27/10
Name two web sites that doesn't support IE6.
"Bruce Chambers" <bcha...@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

EN59CVH

Feb 27, 2010, 4:03:54 PM2/27/10

Unknown wrote:

> Name two web sites that doesn't support IE6.

Hey Troll,

Here is one:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8488751.stm>

The second one you will have to search for yourself.

hth

Bruce Chambers

Feb 27, 2010, 4:31:41 PM2/27/10

Unknown

Feb 27, 2010, 5:24:46 PM2/27/10
Hey troll!
I asked for two that does NOT support IE6.
I did not ask for one in the process of phasing out support.
"EN59CVH" <EN5...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bill in Co.

Feb 27, 2010, 5:27:16 PM2/27/10
Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>>

>> Which commonly used websites don't work anymore on IE6 now that you're
>> aware of? (just curious).
>>

> Well, let's start with Google and YouTube, for two widely used sites,
> and go on from there, shall we:

I'm still using IE6 (and actually prefer it over IE7 and IE8), and have no
problems with either the Google search site or with the YouTube site
(although that latter site gives a warning message about having an
out-of-date browser)

> http://www.bing.com/search?q=end+of+support+for+IE6&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC

Last time I tried the Bing site (or the Yahoo site) I didn't have an issue
with IE6 (meaning I was able to use searches on their sites, etc). Now
whether or not the sites below give some warnings about things to come is
another matter. That doesn't mean the sites don't work with IE6!

Unknown

Feb 27, 2010, 5:28:33 PM2/27/10
Also, why did you suddenly change your ID from ybS2okj?

EN59CVH

Feb 27, 2010, 5:33:40 PM2/27/10

"Bill in Co." wrote:

> I'm still using IE6 (and actually prefer it over IE7 and IE8), and have no
> problems with either the Google search site or with the YouTube site
> (although that latter site gives a warning message about having an
> out-of-date browser)

Well then continue using whatever you prefer. M$ cannot force you to
change your habits. Some of us have to do meaningful work on our system
so we need latest technology. what I don't do, however, is to update my
system with M$ patches with post SP3 updates and hotfixes. I find them
completely useless. If SP4 comes out (I doubt very much though) then I
shall consider it not otherwise.

hth

R. Ganesan

Feb 27, 2010, 10:34:01 PM2/27/10

ear Sirs,

I thank all of you for your replies.

Yes, I got it wrongly. It seems IE8.0 download is bundled with microsoft
malicious software removal tool, which will scan the PC for malicious
softwares before installing IE8.0.

The problem was that an update kB932823 was needed for IE8.0 for its
installation for which reason it was not installing. The IE8.0 installation
was not notifying this when I tried to install it offline. (I use a slow
dial-up connection for that matter that is why I am wary of downloading
larger size downloads).

Thanking you all once again,

Yours sincerely,
R. Ganesan.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 28, 2010, 1:03:06 AM2/28/10
Which "ear Sirs" are you addressing?

The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy'

Mar 12, 2010, 1:49:13 PM3/12/10
On 2/27/2010 3:31 PM, Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>>

>> Which commonly used websites don't work anymore on IE6 now that you're
>> aware of? (just curious).
>>

> Well, let's start with Google and YouTube, for two widely used sites,
> and go on from there, shall we:

Google and Youtube work just fine for me on IE6.