KERNEL32.DLL error message

Paul

Apr 12, 2003, 5:04:53 AM4/12/03
I have just bought a new PC with Windows XP home edition.
After installing Disneys Toy Story video game I am unable
to play it and recieve the erro message "Unable to link
ro KERNEL32.DLL" can anyone help (as my son won't take no
for an answer)

Jimmy S.

Apr 12, 2003, 2:01:43 PM4/12/03
Hi Paul,

I tried researching that error in the Disney and Microsoft databases
but there's no know solutions for it offered at either location.

I have prepared 3 different sections that should help resolve the error:

SECTION I: Reinstall the game:

Here's how to properly install or reinstall a game (and/or patch):

1. Backup any saved games and/or mods to a safe location.

2. Uninstall the game using Control Panel / Add-Remove programs.

3. Clear any references to the game leftover in your registry using:
http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/regclean.htm

4. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

5. After a reboot close & exit your Antivirus and any other programs
using this method: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=331796

6. Install the game again from your original CD, do not use a backup.

7. Don't reuse the saved games/mods until you properly test the game.

SECTION II: Contacting Disney Support:

They have an online support request form which I found. Here's the URL:
http://disney.store.go.com/Images/I-Catalog/DS/Misc/GuestServices/ContactUs/Body.html

SECTION III: Additional Troubleshooting

To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable all Startup programs
one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Dan Corban

Apr 13, 2003, 2:29:12 PM4/13/03
Some games and applications use ("link to") particular functions in the
Windows 95/98/ME versions of kernel32.dll (since most older games were made
with only Win95/98 in mind). Sometimes these particular functions are not
available in the NT/2000/XP version of this file. Long story short, if you
are getting this error, you have a slim to none chance of getting it
working. Try using the various compatibility options and if you are very
lucky it may work. The only other hope is that the developer has a
workaround or an update for the game.