Missing Component Building XPPro Emulation - Kenel-FP1

SD

Jan 20, 2007, 10:20:53 PM1/20/07
I'm trying to build XPPro w/ ACPI and I am getting the error:

Error 1105: Missing dependency target in: "1394 Kernel Debugger Support
Library [Version 5.1.2600.3300, R3300]": "1394 Kernel Debugger Support
Library depends on Kenel-FP1"

Does anyone know where I get Kenel-FP1, or even what it is?

KM

Jan 22, 2007, 12:37:28 AM1/22/07
SD,

I must admit I never saw the Kenel-FP1 component in XPe database. Could it be that it is your own custom component?

What version of XP Pro Emulation project you are working with and where have you downloaded it? I am positive the component you
mentioned is not there in the final FP2007 version of the project.

--
=========
Regards,

SD

Jan 22, 2007, 4:04:36 AM1/22/07
Hi KM,

The XP Pro Emulation is the FP2007 version, I downloaded from XPeFiles
and the zip was versioned as 186. The only custom component was VMWare
v553, but I just went back and checked without the VMWare and got the
same error.

I found the "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library" in the CLX file at
offset 0x013c514a, it seems from the error that this component is
referencing the Kenel-FP1 component.

- Sean

KM

Jan 22, 2007, 5:57:15 PM1/22/07
SD,

You are confusing me more.
What's the version 186 you mentioned? There were 3 versions of the XPProEmulation project uploaded to xpefiles.com: FP2007 CTP1,
FP2007 CTP2 and FP2007 RTM. You should use the last one.

Is the FP 2007 you are working with RTM or a previous CTP? Also, is it Eval or full version of the Pack you installed on the
machine?

The "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library" is definitely [and always was] included in the project as many other [all] software
components from database. However, that component doesn't really depend on anything like Kenel-FP1 unless I am missing something
here. I'll do a little bit more research here about the issue. So far what I am seeing is using the XPe Toolkit the Kenel-FP1
doesn't show up anywhere.

What is the offset 0x013c514a you are referring to? Why binary like number?

--
=========
Regards,

SD

Jan 23, 2007, 4:27:13 AM1/23/07
You are confusing me more.
What's the version 186 you mentioned? There were 3 versions of the
XPProEmulation project uploaded to xpefiles.com: FP2007 CTP1, FP2007
CTP2 and FP2007 RTM. You should use the last one.
{sd} I am using the FP2007 RTM

Is the FP 2007 you are working with RTM or a previous CTP? Also, is it
Eval or full version of the Pack you installed on the machine?

{sd} I am working with the full version of FP 2007

The "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library" is definitely [and always
was] included in the project as many other [all] software components
from database. However, that component doesn't really depend on
anything like Kenel-FP1 unless I am missing something here. I'll do a
little bit more research here about the issue. So far what I am seeing
is using the XPe Toolkit the Kenel-FP1 doesn't show up anywhere.

{sd} I have the same opinion and can't find Kenel-FP1 anywhere which is
what prompted me to post this message. I assumed a dependency based on
the error output of TD. A copy of the TD error message is in the first
message in this thread.

What is the offset 0x013c514a you are referring to? Why binary like
number?

{sd} This is the location in the XPProEmulation CLX file where I found
a reference to "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library". I think a moot
point now since you said that component should be there.

KM

Jan 23, 2007, 1:50:53 PM1/23/07
SD,

Interesting problem I should say.

Doing a binary unicode search I indeed can find a reference to the "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library depends on Kenel-FP1"
string in the XP Pro Emulation project SLX file. It is however only a build system output string.
Again, I don't really know what the Kenel-FP1 is and where it came from. There is no such component in the SP2 or FP2007 databases.
Well, at least it is not in FP2007 RTM database. It might have been there (and this is probably the explanation) in FP200 CTP1
database (beta version of the database update from Microsoft) and got pulled in (try to pull, actually) by the XPProEmulation script
automatically. But since it wasn't required for the build (and perhaps no real component was there anyway) it wasn't actually added
to the project. This is just a guess and I don't really have any desire to go back to old CTP1/CTP2 beta databases to investigate
the issue more. Microsoft doesn't support those databases anyway.

Now the question is why the heck your build shows the error while others don't.
I can only think of the wrong installation. Did you upgrade the toolkit on your dev machine from any previous CTP? Or did you just
go from SP2 directly to FP2007 RTM?

If your install is perfect... then I can only suggest you to ignore the error (btw, do you see a task appearing in your build in TD
after you get the error?). How easy it is to repro the error? I mean if you start with a fresh launch of the TD with the XPProEmul
project and clean up the output window first, do you still see the error coming back to the log after you do a build?

--
=========
Regards,

SD

Jan 24, 2007, 2:18:52 AM1/24/07
KM,

My build was clean; SQL Server then SP2 then FP2007 RTM upgrade, from
there I built XP Pro Emu and then added a TAP component for VMWare 553.
Overall very direct and clean. I quickly losing interest in tracking it
down, I have disabled the component and it seems to build fine, very
strange though...

- Sean

KM

Jan 24, 2007, 3:13:06 AM1/24/07
Sean,

Strange indeed. I am cluesless here becuase I never saw that error in my
build logs, although I created and played with XPProEmulation builds for a
long time.

When you happen to have a bit more spare time you can spend on this issue,
please feel free to post your own version of the XPProEmulation SLX project
on www.xpefiiles.com (just reply to the XPProEmulation/FP2007 thread there).
I'd love to take a look at it to see if I can figure out what's going on
there. (I suspect the issue is there probably becuase of some differences in
our Mantis DB installations and upgrades but I can't ask you to post the
entire DB file :-) ).

Thanks for reporting the issue anyway!
KM

jimt

Mar 22, 2007, 9:06:13 PM3/22/07
I just encountered the same problem.

I am using the purchased XPe TD with SP2 FP2007 and the
xpproemulation_186.zip from xpefiles. I loaded the FP2007 RTM version of
the XP Pro emulation .slx file into TD, added the TAP component and then the
Intel quad Pro/1000 lan adapter driver. A dependency check (with
autoresolve off) produced the following error:

Checking: "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library [Version 5.1.2600.3300,
R3300]"...

Error 1105: Missing dependency target in: "1394 Kernel Debugger Support
Library [Version 5.1.2600.3300, R3300]": "1394 Kernel Debugger Support
Library depends on Kenel-FP1"

The "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library" is not a component of my own
design. My XPe Studio tools were installed off the release CDs and RTM
FP2007 was downloaded and installed the usual way. I never tried any CTP
versions on this particular PC. Maybe this does not show up if someone is
using an environment where a CTP preview was used, which perhaps left a
Kenel-FP1 component in the database(?),.

I have no need for anything associated with 1394, so maybe I should just
comment out the "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library" and the other 1394
stuff. I will try the xpetools to see what else needs to be pulled along
with it.

Bye,

--
jimt

"SD" <mai...@dorn.net> wrote in message

KM

Mar 23, 2007, 2:48:12 AM3/23/07
jimt,

Thanks for reporting this. Indeed strange issue.
I can only think that the weird Kenel-FP1 component was actually in my database, perhaps a ghost left over from CTP1. Only confusing
fact is that why I don't see this error appearing in my logs here at all !

You can safely ignore the error. Have you tried removing the "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library" component and adding it back? I
am wondering if that will get rid of the error.

At some point [perhaps soon] I will start over and install all the XPe SPs and FPs from scratch and that should get rid of the
error. When I do that I will post another version of the project on xpefiles.com.
I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion that error is causing.

--
=========
Regards,

PS. The number 186 is not what I added to the name of the file uploaded on to xpefiles.com. That number seems to have been added by
the backend automatically. It does that when you try to upload new version of the same file. This just explains why I couldn't
understand what version Sean was referring to.

jimt

Mar 23, 2007, 12:15:55 PM3/23/07
Hi KM,

You are welcome regarding my reporting of the issue. I'm out of the office
today, but I will try the remove/re-add experiment Monday.

BTW If I use the filter with XpeTools, can I regenerate the same .slx file?
Is there any downside to using the xpetools "xp pro emulation" filter vs the
prebuilt xp pro emulation project on xpefiles.com?

And thanks to you for helping all of us with XPe.

Bye,

jimt

"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message

KM

Mar 23, 2007, 6:10:45 PM3/23/07
jimt,

Yup. You can definitely create your own XPProEmu project with the component filter included in the XPeTools package. Just use the
"XPProEmulation" component and set up the filter you want (typically something like "software :").
Caution: *only* use FP2007 toolkit when you work with XP Pro Emulation stuff!

You will have to tweak some component states and settings. Most of those are documented in the ReadMe.txt that is provided within
the XPeTools.zip.

Let me know if you see any issues.

--
=========
Regards,

jimt

Mar 26, 2007, 3:03:02 PM3/26/07
Hi KM,

As promised I ran the test of removing the "1394 Kernel Debugger Support
Library" component and then adding it back. It worked. The old "Kenel-FP1"
dependency message is gone.

BTW the XP Pro emulation SLX includes some standard PC components that I had
to remove from my config. If I may, I respectfully suggest that the Generic
CompactPC Chassis and Generic CompactPCI CPU Board be added to the list of
components to remove, in addition to Standard PC. Let a tap derived
component pull these in if they need them. Otherwise one must re-open your
original SLX to verify these components came with the XP Pro full emul
project and not from the tap derived component.

Thanks again,

--
Jimt

"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> ...Have you tried removing the "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library"

KM

Mar 26, 2007, 6:56:54 PM3/26/07
Jimt,

First of all, thanks a lot for testing that project. Known fact is that a dev can never see its own bugs :-) (ok, ok, at least this
applies to me) Seriously, I have never had enough time to test the XPProEmulation enough to cover all [or most] scenarios.

I've fixed the Kenel-FP1 issue and uploaded the updated version of the SLX on www.xpefiles.com.
After some investigation it appeared that most likely it was me who played too much with CTP1 and CTP2 versions of FP2007 and
accidentally brought in and left the R3300 version of the "1394 Kernel Debugger Support Library" component that was dependent on the
"ghost" Kenel-FP1 component. Well, truly speaking, it is the TD auto-upgrader who couldn't really downgrade that component when I
went from CTPx to RTM of FP2007, but obviously I am responsible for any bug in XPProEmulation anyway :-)

Regarding the CompactPCI support. Long time ago I had to make a decision to include that stack solely due to the reason that the
"CompactPCI Hot Swap Support" is a "software" component and I wanted to include it into the project. This component, however,
requires some hardware related stuff ("Generic CompactPCI Chassis" and "Generic CompactPCI CPU board" components) and I resolved
them to minimize the effort and build errors for the devs who're going to mess around the XPProEmulation.
Quite frankly, so far I haven't seen a need for the CompactPCI stack being included so I am changing my mind now, thanks to you, and
moving that stack out the project. The latest updated SLX on xpefiles.com has all three components disabled.
The readme, updated with the project, reflects all the changes.

Thanks again for valuable comments.

--
=========
Regards,

jimt

Mar 27, 2007, 5:54:38 PM3/27/07
Hi KM,

You are certainly welcome. Your work on this is nothing short of amazing.

Bye,