Two more troubling settings - Visual Effects and Processor Scheduling

MARTIN SPENCE

May 23, 2007, 1:48:23 PM5/23/07
Anyone come across a good way to set the Visual Effects setting to "Adjust for best performance" and the Processor scheduling to "Background Services"?

I have been unable to find a way to set these other than post FBA.  Using inctrl5 shows an enormous number of registry changes for the visual effects setting.

Thanks to all.

--
MARTIN SPENCE

KM

May 23, 2007, 6:55:20 PM5/23/07
The Visual Effects settings are mapped to the following registry value:
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects],"VisualFXSetting"
That flag should be set to 2 to optimize for best performance. (1 - best apprearance)

The same value could be set under HKLM branch to affect all user accounts. Or under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT branch to effect the default
user accounts as well as others.

No componet in TD brings in that value by default. It is getting [re]set during FBA.

The Processor scheduling settings are mapped to the following registry value:
[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl],"Win32PrioritySeparation".
That binary mask value should be set to (include) 0x18 to optimize for background services.

More info here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/29623.mspx.

You can overwrite this value in the Registry Data Section of the "Client / Server Runtime (Console)" component.

--
=========
Regards,

MARTIN SPENCE

May 25, 2007, 10:18:00 AM5/25/07
KM,

Thanks - you saved me a ton of trouble - I really appreciate the help.

Martin

--
MARTIN SPENCE
"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message