EOL for WinXPeSP2

1 view

Billy Bob

Feb 22, 2007, 2:59:41 PM2/22/07
When will MS stop with active or extend support of XPe SP2 ? Would this
coinside with a EOL for XP Pro?

Andy Allred [MS]

Feb 22, 2007, 9:41:46 PM2/22/07
Hi, please check this blog article regarding SP1 support, it links to a
page that also answers the question on SP2 support. Currently there is
no 'date' since the requirements to start the clock haven't occurred yet.

http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2007/02/21/support-for-xpe-sp1-ends-in-april.aspx

----
Andy

Check out the Embedded team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/

KM

Feb 23, 2007, 1:45:20 AM2/23/07
I am going to add a couple questions of mine here related to the topic...

That blog article as well as similar Lynda's post in the NG was mostly about SP1. But there was a link mentioned to helpful LifeSup web page of Microsoft.

Life cycle of Service Packs for Microsoft Embedded products is detailed here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps#Windows_Embedded

Here is what it says about XPe:

Windows Embedded

Product Name General Availability Date Service Pack Support Retired Notes
Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 0 (RTM) 30-Jan-2002 22-Oct-2004
Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 1 22-Oct-2002 10-Apr-2007
Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2 18-Jan-2005 Not Applicable
See Note
Support ends either 12 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first. Visit the Lifecycle page to find the support timelines for your particular product.

I wonder if FP2007 is considered as the "next service pack" after the SP2? I believe it is not but Microsoft reply would be appreciated here.

The end of the product cycle though is not clear to me either.
According to this (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3220) mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released. What is considered as the next product? Vista (already out) or Vista Embedded (not yet, ever be out?) ?

Products Released General Availability Date Mainstream Support Retired Extended Support Retired Service Pack Retired Notes
Windows XP Embedded 1/30/2002 Review Note Review Note Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released. Extended support will end five years after mainstream support ends.

Regards,
   KM

Shayna Begun [MS]

Feb 26, 2007, 4:39:55 PM2/26/07
KM,

You can also refer to another post by Lynda trying to help explain the lifecycle: http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2006/11/24/xp-embedded-lifecycle-support.aspx.

A Feature Pack is not the same as a Service Pack - Feature Pack 2007 did not reset the support lifecyle for XPe.  Regarding the next version of the product, it would be the next version of the Embedded product, so Vista would not pretain here.

Thanks,
Shayna Begun
Customer Pre-Release Programs PM

Andy Allred [MS]

Feb 26, 2007, 4:59:21 PM2/26/07
Hi Konstantin, hope we see you at the MEDC in Las Vegas this May or the
MVP summit next month.
I might repost this discussion to the blog to make it more visible.

Re: "if FP2007 is considered as the "next service pack" after the SP2?"

The answer to that question is no, FP2007 does *not* reset the clock for
XPe, nor does it start the countdown for the 'plus 2 years'. As of
today, since we have not released a successor product to the original
XPe product, the end of extended support is 2012 as seen in this time
line graphic:
http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2006/11/24/xp-embedded-lifecycle-support.aspx

Re:"What is considered as the next product?"

This is a little nebulous but I will try to define it by saying if the
XPe product as a whole is *refreshed* or if an entirely new Embedded
platform is released. Neither of these events have occurred (yet) but we
are working diligently with Marketing and Sustained Engineering to
ensure the XPe product has a good longterm support story, especially
since new embedded customers are just coming online with devices and
expect longterm support. Vista has no impact on the XPe support clock
today because it's not an embedded platform it's a Windows Client
platform, though as our GM stated at the FP2007 launch event last year,
an embedded version of that platform is something we're investigating.

Thanks

----

KM wrote:
> I am going to add a couple questions of mine here related to the topic...
>
> That blog article as well as similar Lynda's post in the NG was mostly
> about SP1. But there was a link mentioned to helpful LifeSup web page
> of Microsoft.
>
> Life cycle of Service Packs for Microsoft Embedded products is
> detailed here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps#Windows_Embedded
>
> Here is what it says about XPe:
>

> *Windows Embedded*
>
> *Product Name* *General Availability Date* *Service Pack Support
> Retired* *Notes*

> Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 0 (RTM) 30-Jan-2002 22-Oct-2004
> Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 1 22-Oct-2002 10-Apr-2007
> Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2 18-Jan-2005 Not Applicable
> See Note Support ends either 12 months after the next service pack
> releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever
> comes first. Visit the Lifecycle

> <http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle> page to find the support

> timelines for your particular product.
>

> I wonder if FP2007 is considered as the "next service pack" after the
> SP2? I believe it is not but Microsoft reply would be appreciated here.
>

> The end of the product cycle though is not clear to me either.
> According to this (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3220)
> mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this
> product is released. What is considered as the next product? Vista
> (already out) or Vista Embedded (not yet, ever be out?) ?
>

> Products Released <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3220#>
> General Availability Date
> <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3220#> Mainstream Support
> Retired <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3220#> Extended
> Support Retired <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3220#>
> Service Pack Retired
> <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3220#> Notes

> Windows XP Embedded 1/30/2002 Review Note Review Note
> Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this
> product is released. Extended support will end five years after
> mainstream support ends.
>

> Regards,
> KM
>
> "Andy Allred [MS]" <and...@online.microsoft.com

KM

Feb 26, 2007, 5:17:28 PM2/26/07
Hi Shayna,

That clears the mud.

Thanks for the reply.

--
=========
Regards,

KM

Feb 26, 2007, 5:29:14 PM2/26/07
Hi Andy,

That's pretty much what I was thinking about the FP2007 (and I suppose the same applies to FP2008 and any other FP).
But I really appreciate you guys posting here. It is always helpful to have an official Microsoft word to refer to :-)

--
=========
Regards,

PS. See you on MVP summit soon. Hopefully I can make it to LV as well for MEDC. Always loved both events :-)