Re: Folder Templates in system folders cannot change

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Feb 18, 2006, 12:35:53 AM2/18/06
Common Tasks Don't Match Folder Type
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"tuzem_2" <tuz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi, my problem is that my Drive C:\; Program Files; Windows folders are
displayed either in Music Files Folder Template or Photo Album Folder
Template how can I restore them back to Document Folder Template without
Resetting all by folders?

Keith Miller MVP

Feb 18, 2006, 3:58:00 AM2/18/06
I should update that...:)

Here's an easier way to find the bag number(s) for the folders that doesn't involve downloading
RegMon (still a great program!!!)

1) Close all explorer windows, then open and close any folder which is NOT misbehaving (this
'clears' explorer's memory and ensures the view data will be written to the registry).

2) Start regedit & navigate to:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags"

export this key to a file for backup and then delete the key.

3) Open and close the problem folder(s) via a shortcut or My Computer toolbar added to taskbar --
it's important that you don't browse to the folder in question via other windows.

with one or more numbered subkeys, one for each folder you opened.

5) Note the numbers of these keys, then merge the backup of the 'Bags' key you exported earlier.

6) Proceed with step 8 in the original instructions. Most of the time, simply deleting the
'FolderType' value is sufficient, it will be recreated with the correct value.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ram...@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Feb 18, 2006, 4:16:29 AM2/18/06
Still haven't found a way to fix this programatically :(
Recursively deleting the FolderType value might be a good start.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.mil...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Keith Miller MVP

Feb 18, 2006, 11:55:05 PM2/18/06
Here's a script that's about finished -- check it out.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]