IE Favorites

snafu too

May 9, 2006, 11:22:12 PM5/9/06
Is there a way to start internet explorer and control whether the
favorites toolbar appears automatically

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 9, 2006, 11:32:19 PM5/9/06
Enable the Favorites toolbar before closing Internet Explorer. The setting
will be saved.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"snafu too" <tre...@vinings.co.nz> wrote in message

snafu too

May 10, 2006, 12:19:34 AM5/10/06
Sorry I worded the question badly. Most of the time when I initiate IE
I want the Favorite toolbar to appear but I have a situation when I am
accessing a filemaker pro database using IE when I want the favorites
tool bar to be closed on initial access.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

snafu too

May 10, 2006, 4:50:05 AM5/10/06
Yes that is the idea but I don't see how I can pass information to IE
about screen setup such as the toolbars

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 10, 2006, 5:21:48 AM5/10/06
Copy the following code to Notepad, and save as "ie-withfavorites.vbs"

- - -
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "iexplore.exe"
WScript.Sleep 500
WshShell.SendKeys "^i"
- - -

Double-clicking the file opens Internet Explorer, and enables the Favorites
pane automatically. You can place the script in the Quick Launch folder for
easy access.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"snafu too" <tre...@vinings.co.nz> wrote in message

David Candy

May 10, 2006, 5:38:53 AM5/10/06
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set AllWindows = objShell.Windows
For Each window in AllWindows
msgbox window.locationname
a=window.ShowBrowserBar("{EFA24E61-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}", True)
msgbox a
Next

ShowBrowserBar Method
Displays a browser bar.

object.ShowBrowserBar(sCLSID, vShow)Parameters
sCLSID Required. String value that contains the string form of the CLSID of the browser bar to be displayed. The object must be registered as an Explorer Bar object with a CATID_InfoBand component category. For further information, see Creating Custom Explorer Bars, Tool Bands, and Desk Bands.
vShow Required. Variant that is set to TRUE to show the browser bar, or FALSE to hide it.

Return Values
Variant. Returns TRUE if successful, or FALSE otherwise.

Remarks
You can display one of the standard Explorer Bars by setting sCLSID to its CLSID string. The standard Explorer Bars and their CLSID strings are as follows.

Explorer Bar CLSID string
Favorites {EFA24E61-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
Folders {EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
History {EFA24E62-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
Search {30D02401-6A81-11d0-8274-00C04FD5AE38}

See Also
IShellDispatch2 Object

Requirements
Version 5.00 and later of Shell32.dll

Windows NT/2000: Requires Windows 2000.
Windows 95/98/Me: Requires Windows Me.
Header: Declared in shldisp.h.
How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 10, 2006, 8:37:40 AM5/10/06
Brilliant, David. thanks.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message

David Candy

May 10, 2006, 9:17:54 AM5/10/06
{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}
is search for files.

objShell.Open "c:\somewhere"

For Each window in AllWindows

If CheckRegEntryForFullPathInTitlebar() = True then
If window.title="c:\somewhere" then a=window.ShowBrowserBar("{EFA24E61-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}", True)
else
If window.title="somewhere" then a=window.ShowBrowserBar("{EFA24E61-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}", True)
end if
Next

Will releiably open up search on a folder.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

David Candy

May 10, 2006, 8:22:39 PM5/10/06

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

Ramesh, MS-MVP

David Candy

May 10, 2006, 9:22:34 PM5/10/06
That last post was meant for another thread, how to open a specific folder to search.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

Ramesh, MS-MVP

David Candy

May 10, 2006, 9:51:51 PM5/10/06
My experience on trying to automate Disconnect etc verbs (especially in network area) is that wsh and vbs crash and exit from memory without any error messages from one's own program, wsh, vbs, and windows.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

snafu too

May 11, 2006, 5:01:35 PM5/11/06
Ramesh

I went with your original script which was fine. How do I enter a url
in the same script ??

Cheers.....Trevor

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 11, 2006, 11:33:06 PM5/11/06
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "iexplore.exe" & " http://www.google.com"
WScript.Sleep 500
WshShell.SendKeys "^i"