Re: Classic Theme broken

Luca Brasi

Sep 16, 2004, 5:02:57 PM9/16/04

iydkydg wrote:
> *When I select Windows Classic style under Display Properties >
> Appearance, I
> get an error message that says "Visual styles could not be loaded
> because the
> file failed to load. Details:"
>
> When I select Windows Classic under Display Properties > Themes, I
> get an
> error message that says "The theme could not load. Unspecified error
> File:
> C:\WINDOWS\resourses\Themes\Windows Classic.theme"
>
> I'm definitely sure that my Windows Classic.theme exists and is not
> corrupt.
> I have downloaded the theme from
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm to make sure. In
> addition, the
> classic mode works fine in other accounts on this computer, but not
> on my
> account.
>
> Why am I not able to use the classic theme and how do I fix this
> problem? *

Ok man, I've had the exact same problem you're describing, and I
managed to solve it. What you do is this:

1. Create a new user.
2. Log into this user.
3. Insert WinXP Setup CD, and choose "Perform additional tasks", and
then "Trasnfer files and settings".
4. Choose "old computer", and then "other", and specify a place to
store (preferably a different drive) your settings. Next.
5. Choose "settings only", and check the "let me select" box below.
6. remove all the settings except "display" - and back up.
7. Now log off, and log on with your old user (the one with the corrupt
theme), and perform step 3 again.
8. This time choose "new computer", and then "other", and spesify the
place you saves your other user's setting, so you can back up from
them.
9. Back 'em up.

You're done!!

You can erase the new user from the user settings in the control panel,
and get on with your work. let me know if it helped!!

--
Luca Brasi

iydkydg

Sep 20, 2004, 2:23:04 AM9/20/04
Thanks!!! Your solution worked perfectly. You rock!