Re: please somebody help me

Soul Bandit

Mar 17, 2006, 6:16:19 PM3/17/06
Did you open the file using the name you gave it when you saved it?

"please helpppp" <please hel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello i am having a problem with my computer i am not a computer wiz so
> this
> is a big problem for me. i write alot and i had a word pad document that i
> would write in everyday and 2 days ago i was writing in it and on the
> internet at the same time i was switching back and forth from window to
> window and while i was on the internet something went wrong with my
> connection and since i have dial up service my whole computer stalled so i
> decided to close my word pad document so i did and clicked saved and
> turned
> off the computer and next day i tryed to open document. the document opens
> but all ive written is gone and thei is a wierd long line of small boxes
> insted i dont know what to do i feel heart broken because i dont know how
> fix this or undo it. this document ment alot to me so please somebody
> please
> help me to tell me how to fix or undo this problem please. thank you

Phil Weldon

Mar 17, 2006, 7:54:25 PM3/17/06
'please helpppp' wrote about a lost file produced by WordPad
_____

Judging from your post, the best path would be to get a reliable computer
technician to recover the file. It is entirely impossible to do more than
guess what has happened from your post. It may be that the file has been
corrupted. It may be that something else is wrong.

At any rate, at this point you should still have an earlier version (the
previous time you saved the file) still on your hard drive that can be
completely and easily recovered. The more you use your computer, the
smaller that chance becomes.

It must be your decision on how much recovering your work is worth, and how
much you are willing to pay for the safest possible recovery.

Phil Weldon

Stan Brown

Mar 17, 2006, 7:59:05 PM3/17/06
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:00:55 -0800 from <=?Utf-8?B?
cGxlYXNlIGhlbHBwcHA=?= <please hel...@discussions.microsoft.com>>:

> hello i am having a problem with my computer i am not a computer wiz

Your Shift key seems to be broken too.

Those of us who are over 13 generally post in standard English,
because it's easier to read than the pseudo-kewl all-lowercase style.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Phil Weldon

Mar 17, 2006, 9:41:36 PM3/17/06
And you know your comment is appropriate how?
A helpful answer is always useful.

Phil Weldon

"Stan Brown" <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

Gordon

Mar 18, 2006, 7:27:19 AM3/18/06
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:41:36 +0000, Phil Weldon wrote:

> And you know your comment is appropriate how?

Because posting in "standard English" makes posts easier to read, possibly?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10

Al

Mar 18, 2006, 1:44:08 PM3/18/06

"Stan Brown" <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

That really was a technical insite to the problem.................

Ken Blake, MVP

Mar 18, 2006, 1:48:09 PM3/18/06
Phil Weldon wrote:

> And you know your comment is appropriate how?
> A helpful answer is always useful.

Although you apparently don't think Stan's answer was helpful, you didn't
take it properly. Let me spell out his point in a little more detail: the
easier you make it for people to read and understand your question, the more
likely that somebody be be able to, or be willing to, help you.

Take me, as a single example. I started to read pleasehelpppp's question,
but my eyes glazed over and I quickly stopped. I have only so much time I
can spend in these newsgroups, and I try to spend it as productively as
possible. Trying to decipher cryptic messages is not a good use of my time
and I don't do it.

I don't know whether I know the answer to his question or not, but because
of the way he wrote it, he lost me as a possible helper. I'm sure he
similarly lost many others.

You (and he) can take this message as a complaint if you want to, but it
isn't at all meant that way. It's meant as practical constructive advice.
Don't make your messages easy for yourself; make them easy for the people
you are asking for help. That means clear standard English, with standard
punctuation, capitalization, and spelling.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Stan Brown

Mar 18, 2006, 2:37:40 PM3/18/06
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:48:09 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
<kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain>:

> Although you apparently don't think Stan's answer was helpful, you didn't
> take it properly. Let me spell out his point in a little more detail: the
> easier you make it for people to read and understand your question, the more
> likely that somebody be be able to, or be willing to, help you.
>
> Take me, as a single example. I started to read pleasehelpppp's question,
> but my eyes glazed over and I quickly stopped. I have only so much time I
> can spend in these newsgroups, and I try to spend it as productively as
> possible. Trying to decipher cryptic messages is not a good use of my time
> and I don't do it.
>
> I don't know whether I know the answer to his question or not, but because
> of the way he wrote it, he lost me as a possible helper. I'm sure he
> similarly lost many others.
>
> You (and he) can take this message as a complaint if you want to, but it
> isn't at all meant that way. It's meant as practical constructive advice.
> Don't make your messages easy for yourself; make them easy for the people
> you are asking for help. That means clear standard English, with standard
> punctuation, capitalization, and spelling.

Thank you, Ken. You put this in to words much, much better than I did
(obviously), and perhaps even better than I could. Once this hits the
Google archives I'm going to bookmark it and add it to my "Playing
nice on Usenet" Web page.

Ken Blake, MVP

Mar 18, 2006, 2:59:23 PM3/18/06
Stan Brown wrote:

> Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:48:09 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
> <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain>:

>> You (and he) can take this message as a complaint if you want to,

>> but it isn't at all meant that way. It's meant as practical
>> constructive advice. Don't make your messages easy for yourself;
>> make them easy for the people you are asking for help. That means
>> clear standard English, with standard punctuation, capitalization,
>> and spelling.
>
> Thank you, Ken. You put this in to words much, much better than I did
> (obviously), and perhaps even better than I could. Once this hits the
> Google archives I'm going to bookmark it and add it to my "Playing
> nice on Usenet" Web page.

You're welcome, thanks for the kind words, and feel free to do so.

Phil Weldon

Mar 18, 2006, 4:12:29 PM3/18/06
'Ken Blake' wrote, in part:

| Although you apparently don't think Stan's answer was helpful, you didn't
| take it properly. Let me spell out his point in a little more detail: the
| easier you make it for people to read and understand your question, the
more
| likely that somebody be be able to, or be willing to, help you.
_____

Yeah, I thought it showed a snotty attitude.

And your reply justifying that attitude is a defense of the indefensible.

Problem with computers come to us all. Should the response to a question be
a helping hand or be a putdown and venting?

This is a 'windowsxp.basic' newsgroup; it will naturaly attract some of the
most inexperienced users.
A genuinely helpful approach is to give the best advice possible within the
limits of the information supplied, and ask for more specifics if necessary.
THEN suggest a way to post more readable messages.

Phil Weldon

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message