Control Panel Icon suddenly missing

Jeff

May 17, 2006, 10:10:28 AM5/17/06
This morning; when I opened up my laptop that runs XP PRO SP2; I went
to the control panel(classic view) and noticed that there is an icon
missing-Totally gone!!! blank space between Phone and Modem icon and Power
Options icon. There was something there because the field is still there but
blank. I don't remember what is supposed to be there and don't have many
extra options icons on the control panel. Don't want to try system restore
as I just downloaded WMP11 and don't want to have to rollback. Anyone know
what standard icon should be there? Between Phone and Modem and Power
options? HELP

Jeff

Jon Anderson

May 17, 2006, 10:50:52 AM5/17/06
On mine it is Portable Media Devices

antioch

May 17, 2006, 10:57:54 AM5/17/06

"Jon Anderson" <JAnder...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On mine it is Portable Media Devices

Same here ;-)

Jeff

May 17, 2006, 11:04:47 AM5/17/06
Yup,
That's it!! Just installed WMP11 Beta-public; and it wiped it out. gonna
report it as a bug. If anyone wants it it's here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology

Jeff
"antioch" <r.antioc...@dunkthisntlworld.com> wrote in message

antioch

May 17, 2006, 12:46:27 PM5/17/06
Hi Jeff
Well, we keep being warned about using beta stuff on our operation
computers - its for test and should only be used on a system used for
testing - unless you are a tester?
MS has not been very lucky recently with the beta stuff and those terrible
updates.
Good luck - with any luck there will be a patch to patch the updated patch
that.........;-)
Rgds
Antioch

"Jeff" <jeffw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Pun

May 18, 2006, 10:43:01 AM5/18/06
Try the following:
Right click at the taskbar and then click properties
In the box click Advanced tab
then, look fro control panel and make sure that it's set to be show!

newsci...@usadatanet.net

May 30, 2006, 10:56:52 AM5/30/06
People:

Sorry ... but all the above 'fixes' will not work if you have installed
WMP 11 Beta.

I finally tracked this down. Checked the dates on the files in the
Windows Media Player program files folder. The newest dates are
5/9/2006.

Opened registry ... searched for Portable Media Devices CLSID:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}

Checked what file was used for DefaultIcon:
%SystemRoot%\system32\audiodev.dll with ResourceID -50.

Checked the date on %SystemRoot%\system32\audiodev.dll file: 5/9/2006

Opened %SystemRoot%\system32\audiodev.dll in Icon Workshop: icon is
gone.

Retrieved backup %SystemRoot%\system32\audiodev.dll file from I386
folder and renamed it to audiodev-orig.dll and placed in
%SystemRoot%\system32 folder.

Opened %SystemRoot%\system32\audiodev-orig.dll in Icon Workshop

Icon is there.

Opened registry and modified key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}\DefaultIcon
to use file: %SystemRoot%\system32\audiodev-orig.dll

Closed Windows Explorer.

Opened Windows Explorer, opened Control Panel (left Pane). Icon there.
Opened Control Panel to view right Pane (Category View) ... clicked on
Sounds, ...
Icon present.
Opened Control Panel in Classic View ... icon present.

Checked Version numbers on both audiodev.dll files:

New WMP 11 version: 5.2.5358.4827 (WMP_11.060509-2009)
Old pre-WMP 11 version: 5.2.3790.3646 (private/xpsp_mce.040810-0205)

I wonder if only the problem is with people who have Media Center
Edition?

However, this proves that someone modified the audiodev.dll file and
removed the icon support.

None of the above fixes can solve this.