Start Menu/All Programs List

Bill Honey

Jan 23, 2003, 11:33:04 AM1/23/03

My all programs list has become too large for one column
and I do not want to have it spread out across my
screen. I know that it is possible to group the programs
together under a sub-menu, for instance all Microsoft
Programs, all digital photo programs etc. Unfortuneatly I
dont know how to do it, and I have not been able to find
anywhere which tells me.

Can someone help me please.

Jack

Jan 23, 2003, 1:26:20 PM1/23/03
To create subfolders for programs, r-click start> explore all users, go to
Start Menu> programs. You can create and organize folders from there.
Alternately, if you prefer to scroll programs, r-click start> properties>
Taskbar and Start Menu Properties> Start Menu tab> advanced and place a
check in the box for Scroll Programs.

HTH. Jack

"Bill Honey" <Billat...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Patty MacDuffie

Jan 23, 2003, 1:29:13 PM1/23/03

Go into Windows Explorer. Click the + next to your C (system) drive, then next to Documents and Settings, then next to All Users, then next to Start Menu, then next to Programs. Here you'll see the list that encompasses most of your programs. If you highlight Programs, then click File --> New --> Folder, you can generate a new folder under the Programs folder. Give it a name. Then you can drag other folders into it, or other single program entries into it. (You can drag or drop in Windows Explorer, or you can drag and drop directly from the start menu.)
--
Patty MacDuffie
Windows XP MVP

Colin Wood

Jan 26, 2003, 6:33:46 PM1/26/03
Could someone explain why I have 5 Start Menus?

in documents and settings -> all users
in documents and settings -> my_name
in documents and settings -> wife's_name
in documents and settings -> owner
in documents and settings -> Windows User

While I have rationalised my Start Menu with various folders (like
Utilities, Sound), having five doesn't make it easy.

Is there any way of rationalising these?

Regards,

Colin

--

__ __________________________
/ _ |. _ \ /_ _ _| /

Colin Wood

Feb 1, 2003, 4:06:03 PM2/1/03
Reply to co...@meldr.co.uk

My computer is a remanufactured Packard Bell with a year's on-site warranty
from the manufacturer; when I got it, it had software installed eg old
anti-virus software, old versions of Works Suite and Office Suite and other
programs I haven't heard of. They are NOT listed in the add/remove programs
menu.
They are in folders -
C://Apps eg aol, clickme, cyberlink (none in this folder have been
installed by me; I could do without them all)
C://Exchange
C://Freeserve
C://Oemlist
Most of the programs in C://Program Files have been installed by me, but
some not eg Anork, aol, opera

On the basis of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', I've left these in
place, but they're taking up space on the HD. Would it cause problems
simply to delete them and/or their folders? Would it be right to assume
that if the're not on Add/remove programs menu, then the computer does't
'know' about them and they can thus be deleted?

(I have installed Works 2002 and very recently Office XP, so I have old and
new versions on the HD)

A really frustrating problem that I have may arise from the computer's
previous history. It is that I have 5 Start Menus, as follows -

in documents and settings -> all users
in documents and settings -> my_name
in documents and settings -> wife's_name
in documents and settings -> owner
in documents and settings -> Windows User

I have tried to rationalise my Start Menu with various folders/
sub-folders, such as Utilities, Sound, Microsoft, but having five Start
menus is making this very difficult.

Is there any way that I can rationalise these? and if so, how? I can see
the need for only the first three.

Amy help in understanding the logic of the situation and how best to deal
with it would be VERY much appreciated.

Regards,

Colin

--
_______________________
__ /

\__(_)||| ) \/\/(_)(_)(_| /

_______________________________/ StrongArm RiscPC

Rina

Feb 1, 2003, 6:07:09 PM2/1/03
You'd probably be better off to back up any important data and start with a
nice fresh format and clean installs of your programs. It would be time well
spent, you'll thank yourself for it. (providing you have all the software to
do the installs.)

Rina

--
To send a personal message remove "NOSPAM" from the e-mail address

"Colin Wood" <Co...@meldr.co.uk> wrote in message