Windows ME to XP - How to?

Mich

Aug 9, 2005, 6:19:01 PM8/9/05
This may sound very simple BUT it's so simple that we can't find the answer....
I have a friend that wants to go from Windows ME to Windows XP Home Edition.
Does she have to buy the Windows XP full version? Or just the Windows XP Home
Edition Upgrade? Thanks for any information! :)
PS - Told you it was simple >>but not to us!
--
Mich

Mike Hall (MS-MVP)

Aug 9, 2005, 6:38:47 PM8/9/05
Mich

The upgrade will cut it.. if your friend is in possession of an Microsoft ME
CD, it is also possible to do a clean install of XP using the ME CD as a
qualifying product.. obviously, before clean installing, it is a good idea
to back up important stuff like user generated files and e-mail.. for much
more on installing XP, go to this website..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Mich" <mrun...@msn.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Ken Blake

Aug 9, 2005, 6:43:10 PM8/9/05
In news:9157561D-A38F-4664...@microsoft.com,
Mich <mrun...@msn.com(donotspam)> typed:

She can use either. Since she owns Windows Me, she qualifies for
the Upgrade version of XP, and that's what she should get, since
it's cheaper. Assuming that she wants to upgrade over the top of
Me, not do a clean installation, what she can *not* use is an OEM
version, since that can do only clean installations.

Note, by the way, that she can even do a clean installation with
the Upgrade CD (although I recommend that she at least try to
upgrade first.) The requirement to use an upgrade version is to
*own* a previous qualifying version's installation CD (with an
OEM restore CD, see below), not to have it installed. When setup
doesn't find a previous qualifying version installed, it will
prompt you to insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert
the previous version's CD, and follow the prompts. Everything
proceeds quite normally and quite legitimately.

You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore
CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but
it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the
XP upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from
Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete
the partition and start over.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Curt

Aug 9, 2005, 6:44:26 PM8/9/05
She will do just fine with the upgrade. However, should she ever want to do
a "clean" XP install she will need a Win98se cd or a 'FULL' WinME version as
a qualified OS.

HTH,
--
Curt,
'The way is open to those who would see'

Curt

Courtney

Aug 9, 2005, 7:21:09 PM8/9/05
...or an UPGRADE WinME CD, just not an OEM CD.

courtney

"Curt" <no...@no-time.com> wrote in message

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Curt

Aug 9, 2005, 7:56:08 PM8/9/05
My ME upgrade cd was not recognized as qualifying media when I tired a clean
XP install using it. Hence my advice for the full version of ME. Luckily I
had 98se to fall back on.

Curt.

"Courtney" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> ...or an UPGRADE WinME CD, just not an OEM CD.
>

> Courtney

Pe...@nospam.com

Aug 9, 2005, 8:55:18 PM8/9/05
I think I installed with the upgrade ME also.

"Curt" <no...@notime.com> wrote in message

Ken Blake

Aug 9, 2005, 8:55:50 PM8/9/05
In news:eAltxPT...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Curt <no...@no-time.com> typed:

> She will do just fine with the upgrade. However, should she
> ever want
> to do a "clean" XP install she will need a Win98se cd or a
> 'FULL'
> WinME version as a qualified OS.

No, a Full version of Me is not required. Any Windows Me CD will
work, as will any Windows 98 or Windows 95 CD.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

Aug 9, 2005, 8:56:45 PM8/9/05
In news:42f93...@Output.100ProofNews.com,
Courtney <a@b.c> typed:

> ...or an UPGRADE WinME CD, just not an OEM CD.

No, any Windows Me CD works. Even an OEM CD will be fine.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

Aug 9, 2005, 8:57:35 PM8/9/05
In news:Oay9n3Tn...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Curt <no...@notime.com> typed:

> My ME upgrade cd was not recognized as qualifying media when I
> tired
> a clean XP install using it. Hence my advice for the full
> version of
> ME. Luckily I had 98se to fall back on.

Then you did something wrong. The upgrade CD *is* qualifying
media.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Curt

Aug 10, 2005, 1:24:20 AM8/10/05
Nope! Didn't do anything wrong, I put the ME upgrade cd in the cd-rom when
asked to. I got a message that it was not qualified media, simple as that.

Curt.

"Ken Blake" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Andrew Murray

Aug 10, 2005, 7:47:09 AM8/10/05
I have the Upgrade XP SP2 release, and I upgrade using an *upgrade* of
Windows 98 (first ed.). No problem there. So it *will* upgrade from an
upgrade of the previous O/S.

Ken Blake

Aug 10, 2005, 12:42:33 PM8/10/05
In news:ehm1DvWnFHA.3256@tk2
msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Curt <no...@notime.com> typed:

> Nope! Didn't do anything wrong, I put the ME upgrade cd in the
> cd-rom
> when asked to. I got a message that it was not qualified media,
> simple as that.

Then what you did wrong is perhaps that you used a CD that isn't
a legitimate version. A legitimate Me Upgrade CD *is* qualifying

Ron Martell

Aug 10, 2005, 4:58:38 PM8/10/05
"Ken Blake" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:42f93...@Output.100ProofNews.com,
>Courtney <a@b.c> typed:
>
>> ...or an UPGRADE WinME CD, just not an OEM CD.
>

>No, any Windows Me CD works. Even an OEM CD will be fine.

Provided it is an OEM installation CD and not just a "System Recovery"
CD containing a disk image.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ken Blake

Aug 10, 2005, 5:10:39 PM8/10/05
In news:miqkf1hsqga347h58...@4ax.com,
Ron Martell <ron.m...@gmail.com> typed:

> "Ken Blake" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
>> In news:42f93...@Output.100ProofNews.com,
>> Courtney <a@b.c> typed:
>>
>>> ...or an UPGRADE WinME CD, just not an OEM CD.
>>

>> No, any Windows Me CD works. Even an OEM CD will be fine.
>
> Provided it is an OEM installation CD and not just a "System
> Recovery"
> CD containing a disk image.

Even an OEM Recovery CD will work, although the procedure is a
little different and more complicated in that case. First restore
from the Recovery CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that

restored system, and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it
asks where, press Esc to delete the partition and start over.

I learned that above procedure from Alex.

Curt

Aug 10, 2005, 7:53:35 PM8/10/05
Ken,

That doesn't wash either.....no perhaps about it. The "illegitimate"
reference is way off base. My full priced ME upgrade cd was *purchased* from
a well known national computer and office supply chain. The ME upgrade cd
flawlessly upgraded Win98se to ME. I based my response to the OP on 'my'
experience going from ME to XP, which was the only honest thing to do. Why
XP would not accept my "legitimate" ME upgrade cd as a qualifier I do not
know.... I can only state that it did not.

Curt.

"Ken Blake" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Ken Blake

Aug 10, 2005, 10:49:37 PM8/10/05
In news:OUmo5agn...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Curt <no...@notime.com> typed:

> That doesn't wash either.....no perhaps about it. The
> "illegitimate"
> reference is way off base. My full priced ME upgrade cd was
> *purchased* from a well known national computer and office
> supply
> chain. The ME upgrade cd flawlessly upgraded Win98se to ME. I
> based
> my response to the OP on 'my' experience going from ME to XP,
> which
> was the only honest thing to do. Why XP would not accept my
> "legitimate" ME upgrade cd as a qualifier I do not know.... I
> can
> only state that it did not.

In that case, I can't tell you what your problem was, but I can
tell you that it's unique to you, and reflects someting unusual
about your situation or what you did. Your assertion that the
Windows ME upgrade CD is not recognized as qualifying media when
doing an clean installation of Windows XP with the Upgrade
version is *not* correct.

Curt

Aug 11, 2005, 10:08:56 AM8/11/05

> In news:OUmo5agn...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Curt <no...@notime.com> typed:
>
>> That doesn't wash either.....no perhaps about it. The "illegitimate"
>> reference is way off base. My full priced ME upgrade cd was
>> *purchased* from a well known national computer and office supply
>> chain. The ME upgrade cd flawlessly upgraded Win98se to ME. I based
>> my response to the OP on 'my' experience going from ME to XP, which
>> was the only honest thing to do. Why XP would not accept my
>> "legitimate" ME upgrade cd as a qualifier I do not know.... I can
>> only state that it did not.
>

> In that case, I can't tell you what your problem was, but I can tell you
> that it's unique to you, and reflects someting unusual about your
> situation or what you did. Your assertion that the Windows ME upgrade CD
> is not recognized as qualifying media when doing an clean installation of
> Windows XP with the Upgrade version is *not* correct.
>
> --
> Please reply to the newsgroup

I wasn't seeking an explanation.....just offering advice to the OP as I knew
it to be. I'm pleased that the OP will be able to use the ME upgrade to
install XP.

Curt.