Customize folders

1 view

rwrede

Mar 20, 2004, 12:30:04 AM3/20/04
Is there a way to add comments to file folders so when
you mouse over a folder the little yellow menu says what
you want?, ie. contents of the folder. I've tried
the "View...Choose Details" menu and the "Customize
Folders" but can't seem to find where to add comments
etc...

Sharon F

Mar 20, 2004, 12:18:37 PM3/20/04

Comments can be added to shortcuts. The comment will show up in a tooltip
that appears when you pause your mouse over the shortcut. I don't know of
any way to add it to a folder.

If you have tooltips in Explorer enabled (Folder Options> View), XP will
show you some information about the folder in a tooltip. Since the info
shown is based on current size and contents, it would appear this is an "on
the fly" feature of Windows and one that cannot be edited and/or
manipulated.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Mar 20, 2004, 9:08:02 PM3/20/04
FYI, here is what I learned on another thread:...
..."If you first give the folder a customized icon, that
will create a desktop.ini file within that
folder. Open it in notepad and it will look similar to
this:
--------
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=12
--------
Add a line in the following format:

InfoTip=hello,world!

If you don't want the custom icon, delete the two icon-
related lines from the file. (or just revert Back to the
default icon)

Keith"...

>.

Sharon F

Mar 20, 2004, 9:42:47 PM3/20/04
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:08:02 -0800, <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Cool tip! I've seen Keith (and David Candy) explain this before but had
forgotten about it. It is a folder by folder change instead of a global
change but it may be useful to the OP. Thanks for posting this!