Opening Multiple files from Explorer

Colin

Apr 27, 2004, 8:47:42 AM4/27/04
Within Explorer when I select multiple files, right click
and chose open nothing happens. If I just select a single
file and right click and select open the application
associated with the file type starts and loads the file.

Is there any way of changing the settings of XP to allow
multiple files to open from Explorer.

On my old computer (windows 98) this worked Ok.

I'm on XP home Edition

Thanks

Colin

David Candy

Apr 27, 2004, 9:17:53 AM4/27/04
And what setting would you suggest?

Have you insrtalled SP1.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm

Colin

Apr 27, 2004, 9:58:55 AM4/27/04
Yes I am running SP1

I don't know what to change to allow multiple documents to
be opened from explorer.

I have tried an istallation of XP Pro at work and this
opens the files OK

Colin

>.

David Candy

Apr 27, 2004, 10:16:56 AM4/27/04
Because there is no setting. It caused by a context menu extension. Though I've been unable to replicate the problem on SP-1. I did a survey on a related problem with anyone who had posted a similar question (ever). The sample was only about 10 (I searched all posts last 20 years and emailed them). What I found was no common programs in common, therefore it seems it may be a common programmers mistake.

Type Regedit in Start Run
Goto

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Export all five keys (on the File Menu) (First two keys apply to files, 1st, 3rd to 5th apply to folders/drives). Delete all two/five. What happens.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm

Colin

Apr 28, 2004, 3:59:01 AM4/28/04
I deleted the first two keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuH
andlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Then tried to open multiple files from Explorer and it
work OK

The 'send to' option was then not available so I added

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenu
Handlers\Send To]
@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

back to the registry.

Now both opening multiple files and Send To work OK.

I have copied the exported entries that I deleted from the
registry below as these may be of use to you

Thanks very much for the prompt help

Colin

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenu
Handlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenu
Handlers\Send To]
@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*]
"InfoTip"="prop:Type;DocAuthor;DocTitle;DocSubject;DocComme
nts;Write;Size"
"QuickTip"="prop:Type;Size"
"AlwaysShowExt"=""
"TileInfo"="prop:Type;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList\Excel.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList\IExplore.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList\MSPaint.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList\Notepad.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList\Winword.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList\WordPad.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\AVG Shell
Extension]
@="{1E2CDF40-419B-11D2-A5A1-002018648BA7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Offline
Files]
@="{750fdf0e-2a26-11d1-a3ea-080036587f03}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With]
@="{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With
EncryptionMenu]
@="{A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{a2a9545d-
a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
@="Start Menu Pin"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\CryptoSi
gnMenu]
@="{7444C719-39BF-11D1-8CD9-00C04FC29D45}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{1F2E5C4
0-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{3EA4830
0-8CF6-101B-84FB-666CCB9BCD32}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{883373C
3-BF89-11D1-BE35-080036B11A03}]
@="Summary Properties Page"

>.

David Candy

Apr 28, 2004, 4:40:59 AM4/28/04
It's AVG. They know about it cause I told them (it took me two weeks to make them understand). Everything else can go back in as they are all standard windows settings that don't cause the problem. Though as I said my survey showed it is more than AVG that suffers from this.

I actually thought this was an improvement to XP. I've accidentally selected several thousand files and clicked open. It can take hours to open them all, and then I pull the power lead out cause I ain't clicking some small box several thousand times.

And the band played ....
http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html