Windows Modules Installer has stopped working

Markku N

Sep 13, 2007, 9:12:02 AM9/13/07
Windows Modules Installer has stopped working notification comes when I try
to find updates from control panel.

OS is fresh Acer OEM Vista Ultimate and it's broken right off the box.

Does anyone know why does that error come? I can use my computer as it is,
but I can't install anything. It seems that at least all the .msi install
files will break the Windows Modules Installer. Some programs like Firefox
and OpenOffice installs but for example Adobe Creative Suite doesn't.

Acer doesn't know how to help, just sent a recovery cd that takes two weeks
to arrive. Very good customer service, not!

Problem details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TrustedInstaller.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549ae3e
Fault Module Name: wcp.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdde
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Offset: 0017043e
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1035
Additional Information 1: 73b1
Additional Information 2: 8cbbf576fb31b90bc6e65be2c1ac14ee
Additional Information 3: 6466
Additional Information 4: 91c13350a24bd8d1ae0ce92e00c5fb8a

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Sep 13, 2007, 9:47:36 PM9/13/07
Make sure the "Windows modules installer" service is not disabled.
Log on as an Administrator -

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools

Double-click Services

(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)

Right-click the "Windows Modules Installer" service, and select Properties.

Select General tab - make sure that Startup type is Manual.

Otherwise start a free Windows Update support incident request:
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"Markku N" <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

noP

Sep 17, 2007, 4:22:01 AM9/17/07
I have the same problem on two (2) brand new Acer Ferrari 1000 notebooks with
preinstalled Vista Ultimate. Will not connect to Windows Update service at
all. Both laptops just give the same error code: "Code 800706BE".

Daver@discussions.microsoft.com Mahiar Daver

Sep 29, 2007, 1:42:00 AM9/29/07
I face a similar problem in my Acer Ferrari 1000 with Windows Vista Ultimate.
Niether Acer India nor Microsoft India are able to help me.

Mahiar Daver

Oct 3, 2007, 2:35:00 AM10/3/07
I have finally cracked the problem in my Acer Ferrari 1000.
It is a problem with the Windows Vista Ultimate build which comes with the
laptop.
I used another build Windows Vista build with the same Acer OEM ID and the
updates worked fine.
msn live was able to install, I was able to install all applications which I
was not able to install with the build part of the laptop.

Acer has agreed to send me a new build.

Joerg

Nov 5, 2007, 9:53:12 AM11/5/07
I have exactly the same error with my Acer Ferrari 1000. But i have no chance
to use another Vista Ultimate. So i am still hoping for a solution by
Microsoft or Acer.

muusitalo

Nov 5, 2007, 3:45:12 PM11/5/07

It seems I have exactly same problem in my brand new acer 1000. I just
reported the problem to acer. Did you all get help from acer?

Mikko

--
muusitalo
muusitalo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=34398

http://forums.techarena.in

Mahiar Daver

Nov 6, 2007, 1:31:00 AM11/6/07
Acer just got back to me today.
it seems there are some files that need to be updated in Acer and the same
build will be fine.

once i get the files i will let you know.

ALI

Nov 30, 2007, 1:54:00 PM11/30/07
Hi, i have just bought acer ferrari 1000 and i am having same problem. So did
u guys get any help from acer or microsoft on this issue??

TaurArian

Nov 30, 2007, 3:16:52 PM11/30/07
Log on as an Administrator -

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools

Double-click Services

(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)

Right-click the "Windows Modules Installer" service, and select Properties.

Select General tab - make sure that Startup type is Manual.

Otherwise start a start a free Windows Update support incident request:
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"ALI" <A...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message