Desperate UPDATE ERROR CODE 0x80070643

eaglewhiz

Apr 28, 2007, 3:18:00 AM4/28/07
I have 7 windows updates waiting to be installed. They will not instal - it
fails every time. Error Code 0X80070643 I've spent weeks hunting all over
the web for some resoukution to this problem. Pleae can anyone help me?

realcestmoi

Apr 28, 2007, 3:28:57 AM4/28/07
Hi there,

Did you check here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602 for a soulution?

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"eaglewhiz" <eagl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

eaglewhiz

Apr 28, 2007, 3:12:00 PM4/28/07
Hi Michel,
Thanks for your suggestion but I cannot get a webpage up at the address you
gave me? Not sure what to do now?

realcestmoi

Apr 29, 2007, 7:03:54 AM4/29/07
Hi there,

The webpage is correct and opening just fine here.

What happens when you try to open the webpage?

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"eaglewhiz" <eagl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

eaglewhiz

Apr 30, 2007, 2:08:01 PM4/30/07
OK - thanks - working now. I have read instructions and went thrpugh regedit
process, but am not sure how to create the next step. I am not conficdent in
case I have to reinstall the whole windows system or something! Is there any
other way or this easier and safer than my inexperienced brain is telling me?
Thanksfor helping me on this one.

realcestmoi

Apr 30, 2007, 3:14:28 PM4/30/07
Hi there,

Just follw it one step at a time; backup your registry before editing it
however, so if it might go wrong you can put the registry back like it was
before.
.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"eaglewhiz" <eagl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

TaurArian

Feb 23, 2008, 4:38:22 PM2/23/08
You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Other suggestions -

Suggestion 1 - Rename the Edb.log file (the hotfix installer references the Edb.log file
and the file may be corrupted)

1. Using Windows Explorer open the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\
2. Right-click the Edb.log file, and then rename the file "Edb.old."
3. Try Windows Update again from Internet Explorer.

Suggestion 2 - Rename the CatRoot2 folder.

1. Using Windows Explorer open the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\
2. Right-click the CatRoot2 folder, and then rename the CatRoot2 folder "CatRoot2old".
3. Try Windows Update again from Internet Explorer.

Suggestion 3 - We'll now register some DLL files just in case they have not been
registered

Click Start, select Run and type:
regsvr32 licdll.dll
When you receive the message that the DllRegisterServer succeeded, click OK. Do the same
for the next DLL file.
regsvr32 regwizc.dll

Try Windows Update again from Internet Explorer.

Suggestion 4 - are your trusted root authority certificates up to date? Do you have a
Firewall that could be blocking Windows Update?

Check points -

To turn on automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_cmautorootupdt.mspx?mfr=true
1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.
Note - To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel, click Add
or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components

If you have a firewall installed, it can prevent your computer from connecting to the
Windows Update server. Make sure that TCP/IP ports 80 and 443 are open in both directions.
Make sure that your firewall is not blocking scripting functions on Web sites.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"harryleeper" <harry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Snorch

Mar 21, 2008, 4:11:01 PM3/21/08
Looking at several threads for this error and the 0x57c error (mine are in
the same windows update log - well done for whoever showed us how to look at
that) I concluded that something was interfering with the registers or
preventing a register from updating propoerly.

I run Kaspersky 7 firewall, so I turned that off and turned on the Windows
firewall - an lo and behold it worked after about 10 attempts since last
month!

I did nothing else.

Snorch

Mar 21, 2008, 6:13:01 PM3/21/08
eaglewhiz, I tried turning my 3rd. party firewall off and reverting to
Windows firewall during the update process, and it worked. I had the error
ten times or more before that.

Fluer

Mar 24, 2008, 12:22:00 AM3/24/08
I read through several of these and went to web site at microsoft you
suggested. I too had some problem opening it but I decided to try opening my
outlook and repairing it and found there was a problem with offce Source
Engine It was missing or disabled. I do not know what it is but when I
followed the directions I found it was disabled. I did not know I had one let
alone what it does or how it runs but I set it to run automatically and
started it. I then tried to download the 7 updates I have not been able to
run and low and behold it worked. Thank you for your advice you sent me to
the right place.
Susan Cooney
--
Thanks for trying to help

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 24, 2008, 2:44:15 PM3/24/08
You receive an "Error 80070643" error message when you try to update Office
2003 by using Software Update Services:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903772/en-us
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)