RE: WGA KB892130 Fix for Error 0x80070005

BigBrian

Mar 3, 2006, 9:08:27 PM3/3/06
Hi Gary,

I went to your link ( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) and
there is nothing to download or to link to?

Anything else?

Brian

"Gary Caldwell" wrote:

> The WGA diagnostic tool has been updated to correct this problem seen by some
> customers. Please download and execute it from:
>
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
>
> After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and try it again.
>
> We will be posting a support article describing the problem. If you
> experience any issues with this tool or it does not fix your problem, please
> use the "Copy to Clipboard" button on the tool to send me
> (gac...@microsoft.com) your results so I can investigate it further.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gary Caldwell
> Microsoft

bags250

Mar 3, 2006, 9:42:26 PM3/3/06
If you paste this link into IE the file you down load is the WGADiag2.exe.
It dosen't seem to be a fix.

Al Williams

Mar 3, 2006, 9:52:36 PM3/3/06
Gary Caldwell wrote:
> The WGA diagnostic tool has been updated to correct this problem seen by some
> customers. Please download and execute it from:
>
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
>
> After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and try it again.
>
> We will be posting a support article describing the problem. If you
> experience any issues with this tool or it does not fix your problem, please
> use the "Copy to Clipboard" button on the tool to send me
> (gac...@microsoft.com) your results so I can investigate it further.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gary Caldwell
> Microsoft

Gary,

It worked! Thanks!

--
Al Williams
atwms at aol dot com

Polly

Mar 3, 2006, 9:54:26 PM3/3/06
I have downloaded this file and ran it, but all it did was tell me I had a
valid version of XP Home, but did noy do any think ot fix the problem, I
still can't validate, for MS Update site

Bendico

Mar 3, 2006, 10:58:26 PM3/3/06
Ran the WGA tool and still telling me the valadition tool needed. But the
strange thing is that there is 0KB to download for this file so that may be
the reason that it is not working.

Neal

Mar 3, 2006, 11:04:18 PM3/3/06
It is 0KB because you have already downloaded it.

"Bendico" <Ben...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

treeskier

Mar 3, 2006, 11:54:16 PM3/3/06
I pasted that into IE and ran the file and bingo...thanks

Racefan

Mar 4, 2006, 12:35:26 AM3/4/06
I am sorry but I can't get it to work. I am probably doing the steps wrong.

I clicked on the link you provided but there is nothing there. I then
pasted the link in IE address bar and same thing. I then pasted the link in
the search microsoft bar and it could not find anything.

Please provide step by step process for those of us that are not techies.
Thanks!!

Ottmar Freudenberger

Mar 4, 2006, 2:59:16 AM3/4/06
"Racefan" <Rac...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> "Gary Caldwell" wrote:
>
>> The WGA diagnostic tool has been updated to correct this problem seen by some
>> customers. Please download and execute it from:
>>
>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

> I clicked on the link you provided but there is nothing there. I then

> pasted the link in IE address bar and same thing.

Hm, is redirecting disabled in your IE or by a "security software"
running in the background? Anyway, although I hate to post direct URLs
to executables, here you go:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/f/3afe96b2-558e-4fdd-9d9e-d5ac4b6cbad4/WGADiag2.exe

Gary continued:

>> After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and try it again.
>>
>> We will be posting a support article describing the problem. If you
>> experience any issues with this tool or it does not fix your problem, please
>> use the "Copy to Clipboard" button on the tool to send me
>> (gac...@microsoft.com) your results so I can investigate it further.

HTH,
Freudi

Bendico

Mar 4, 2006, 9:44:27 AM3/4/06
Hey Ottmar thanks for the link it worked just fine here and now I got my
updates.

rjswood

Mar 4, 2006, 10:50:27 AM3/4/06
Thanks Gary,
This fixed my problem. Can now check for updates once again thanks to you.

RJ

"Gary Caldwell" wrote:

> The WGA diagnostic tool has been updated to correct this problem seen by some
> customers. Please download and execute it from:
>
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
>

> After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and try it again.
>
> We will be posting a support article describing the problem. If you
> experience any issues with this tool or it does not fix your problem, please
> use the "Copy to Clipboard" button on the tool to send me
> (gac...@microsoft.com) your results so I can investigate it further.

lummox

Mar 4, 2006, 11:11:03 AM3/4/06
FINALLY!! Yes, this worked. I'm not sure I followed the advised
steps, but SUCCESS!!

I use Firefox, so when i went to the link, I was prompted to D/L. I
closed Firefox, ran the tool, and ran the WU and it worked.

One thing I noticed is that my Roboform Toolbar flashed several times
while running the updates. I don't know if it's related to any issues
or not, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks again!

Racefan

Mar 4, 2006, 1:55:27 PM3/4/06
Ottmar,

Thanks for the link. It worked great and I can now get updates.

Muddog41

Mar 5, 2006, 4:11:26 AM3/5/06
Hey folks I got the fix from Eden Wang at microsoft.. It worked great for me..
Step 1: Reset permissions
===================
This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take
us some time, your patience is highly appreciated.

1. Please click the link below and download the tool.
http://www.ecs-safe.com/Reset_subinacl.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a
company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Save the file to your desktop.
3. Right click the Reset_subinacl.ZIP file and choose Extract
4. Follow the instructions and there will be two files (reset.cmd and
subinacl.exe)
5. Double click the reset.cmd file
6. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

(NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished,
you will be prompted that "Finished, press any key to continue")

After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website
to install the WGA toll again. If it still cannot be installed, let's move on
to the steps below to manually install it.

Step 2 Install the WGA engine manually
===========================
1. Download the ActiveX cab file from the following link and then save it to
the Desktop.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/f/9/4f9730c0-2061-4028-bca9-3d6e652a5cc8/LegitCheckControl.cab

Open the downloaded cab file and we will find the following two files:

LegitCheckControl.dll
LegitCheckControl.inf

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "%windir%\system32" (without
quotations) and press Enter. Copy the LegitCheckControl.dll files into the
opened system32 folder.

3. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "REGSVR32 LegitCheckControl.dll"
(without the quotations) and press Enter. We will see a popup message stating
this process succeeded.

4. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "inf" (without quotations) and press
Enter. Copy the LegitCheckControl.inf file into the opened inf folder.

5. Right click on the copied LegitCheckControl.inf file in the inf folder,
and then choose Install. The WGA engine will be installed automatically.

After we finish the above steps, please restart the computer and try to
validate Windows again.
"Gary Caldwell" wrote:

> The WGA diagnostic tool has been updated to correct this problem seen by some
> customers. Please download and execute it from:
>
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
>

> After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and try it again.
>
> We will be posting a support article describing the problem. If you
> experience any issues with this tool or it does not fix your problem, please
> use the "Copy to Clipboard" button on the tool to send me
> (gac...@microsoft.com) your results so I can investigate it further.

lme

Mar 5, 2006, 8:32:33 PM3/5/06
Thank you SO MUCH for this information - I had been looking for a solution
and this was it - it worked and I can get back on to check my updates again!!!

oowee

Aug 23, 2008, 12:42:00 AM8/23/08

"Muddog41" wrote:

installing the WGA engine manually was the only solution that worked for me,
so thank you very much for posting this alternative!!