MS08-022 - 944338

kakii

Apr 8, 2008, 5:21:13 PM4/8/08

This security bulletin claims Windows XP Service Pack 2 was affected.
So I do download of appropriate update file. Done from bulletin page.
Running this download claims following
"The version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not match the
update you are trying to install."

Actually update's name is update for VBScript and JScript Scripting
Engines and Windows XP SP2 itself is affected.

Why then this irrelevant error message ?

MowGreen [MVP]

Apr 8, 2008, 5:31:11 PM4/8/08
Is IE 7 installed ?
Have you installed Windows Script 5.7 ? [ not a recommendation to do so,
just a query ]

Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp

Using Windows Explorer [Start>All Programs>Accessories>Windows
Explorer], navigate to WINDOWS\system32
Locate both jscript.dll and vbscript.dll
Right click them, choose Properties
Click the Version tab
Please post the Versions of both jscript.dll and vbscript.dll.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 8, 2008, 5:37:24 PM4/8/08
And your IE version would be...?

Are you running WinXP SP2, WinXP x64 Edition, or WinXP x64 Edition SP2?

Does Windows Update and/or Automatic Updates offer you MS08-022?
===========================

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB944388).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Analog_kid61

Apr 10, 2008, 10:02:00 AM4/10/08
I have the same issue as I errored off during Microsoft Update so I
downloaded the file and ran locally with the above error message.

My version of IE7 is: 7.0.5730.11
jscript.dll - 5.6.0.8831
vbscript.dll - 5.6.0.8825
Running XP Pro SP2

Regards

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 10, 2008, 11:03:40 AM4/10/08
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered (e.g., KB944338). If a "Root Certificates" update
is listed in the Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full
advantage of IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

kakii

Apr 10, 2008, 5:20:04 PM4/10/08

However, the MBSA's report doesn't claim this update is missing.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 10, 2008, 6:36:44 PM4/10/08
[If you don't quote replies, no one will know what you're talking about. I
don't now. Good luck with your problem, whatever it is.]

Raillon

Apr 11, 2008, 10:07:02 AM4/11/08
I have also received this message on a computer, and so would like to restart
the conversation.

Details: Workstation running Windows XP SP2 32 bit with IE7 (installed as
downloaded from MS), all MS Updates applied through this month via WSUS 3.0.
Verfied jscript.dll and vbscript.dll versions as 5.6.0.8515.

Install of KB944338 via WSUS failed. I downloaded KB944338 for Windows XP
SP2 (for JScript/VBScrtip 5.6) from MS and attempted installed. I received
error titled "KB944338 Setup Errpr", text: "The version of Internet Explorer

you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install."

I am currently piloting this update, and have 20 computers onsite with
XPSP2/IE7 I'll rollout to quite soon. Short of uninstallating/reinstalling
IE7, is there a way to work around this error?

Thank you!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 11, 2008, 1:08:35 PM4/11/08
[Crossposted to WSUS newsgroup*
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services)]

Install Windows Script v5.7 for WinXP SP2 (which should have been installed
when IE7 was installed):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81
====================
*On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services

In your newsreader:

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 11, 2008, 1:53:08 PM4/11/08
Repost.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> [Crossposted to WSUS newsgroup*
> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services)]
>
> Install Windows Script v5.7 for WinXP SP2 (which should have been
> installed
> when IE7 was installed):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81
> ====================
> *On the web:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services
>
> In your newsreader:

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Apr 11, 2008, 2:28:06 PM4/11/08
Raillon wrote:

> Install of KB944338 via WSUS failed. I downloaded KB944338 for Windows XP
> SP2 (for JScript/VBScrtip 5.6) from MS and attempted installed. I received
> error titled "KB944338 Setup Errpr", text: "The version of Internet Explorer
> you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install."
>
> I am currently piloting this update, and have 20 computers onsite with
> XPSP2/IE7 I'll rollout to quite soon. Short of uninstallating/reinstalling
> IE7, is there a way to work around this error?

Installing Windows Script 5.7 (available from the download center) seems to work.

Harry.

Raillon

Apr 11, 2008, 2:32:03 PM4/11/08
Thank you very much for that response, as it also gives me a way to test
which other computers need action before applying 944338 (by the
JScript/VBScript dll versions). I have verified that my other computers with
IE7 do have JScript/VBScript 5.7, and that WSUS does not show 944338
applicable to those computers.

I'm not sure why the install of IE7 to this one computer didn't update
JScript/VBScript to 5.7 (no error messages were given during the IE7
upgrade), but I will upgrade JScript/VBScript on the computer.

Thanks again!

Raillon

Apr 11, 2008, 2:46:03 PM4/11/08
Another thought occurs: this means that the detection logic in wsusscn2.cab
appears to depend solely upon the jscript.dll and/or vbscript.dll version
(since WSUS showed the update as applicable), though the detection logic in
WindowsXP-KB944338-x86-ENU.exe includes (or replaces this logic with) an IE
version check. Since this is the case, a better error message would help
end-users know to correct any failed JScript/VBScript upgrades - and IE7
upgrades should also double-check that JScript/VBScript upgrades are
successful and complete.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 11, 2008, 4:31:33 PM4/11/08
YW.

> I'm not sure why the install of IE7 to this one computer didn't update
> JScript/VBScript to 5.7

It remains a mystery to all of us at this point, Raillon.
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 11, 2008, 4:32:19 PM4/11/08
[Forwared to WSUS newsgroup to continue crossposted replies.]