Office XP Service Pack 3

Randy

Aug 16, 2005, 11:24:06 AM8/16/05
I have received an Automatic Update alert for Office XP Service Pack 3 which
contains an update for MS Office Word 2002.

I am running Windows XP and have a newer edition (MS Word 2002).

At time for download, it requests I use the CD or DVD to complete the
installation. I don't have it, nor would I want to install it if I did.
This "Update" continues to pop up.
What can I do to get past this "Update?"

Thanks!

Here is a copy of the updates as listed prior to download ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) provides the latest updates to Microsoft
Office XP. SP3 contains significant security enhancements, as well as
stability and performance improvements. This service pack applies to any
level of Office XP. It contains all updates included in SP1 and SP2, in
addition to updates released after SP2. SP3 applies to the following Office
XP products: Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook 2002, PowerPoint 2002, Access
2002, FrontPage 2002, Publisher 2002, and Office XP Web Components.

More information for this update can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=85AF7BFD-6F69-4289-8BD1-EB966BCDFB5E&displaylang=en
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Aug 16, 2005, 11:50:50 AM8/16/05
Download and install it directly. Download the "full file" titled:
OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fulefile-enu.exe (58925 KB).

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=85af7bfd-6f69-4289-8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Randy

Aug 16, 2005, 5:15:02 PM8/16/05
Is this the same file as the one I included with the original post?
If so, I have downloaded it, ran the program and I continued to get the
request for the CD/DVD.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy

Aug 16, 2005, 5:34:18 PM8/16/05
I have just attempted to install the "Full File" and still have the same
results. It too asks for the CD/DVD to be inserted.

Thanks anyway,
Randy

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download and install it directly. Download the "full file" titled:

> OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe (58925 KB).

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Aug 16, 2005, 6:29:42 PM8/16/05
Visit the Microsoft Update web site:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Click on "Change Settings" and scroll down to "To Stop using Microsoft Update",
and place a check next to "Disable Microsoft Update and let me use Windows Update only".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Randy

Aug 16, 2005, 7:37:03 PM8/16/05
What will this do, exactly?
I want to get the SP3.
And, I do not want to stop receiving the updates.

Thanks,
Randy

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Aug 16, 2005, 10:11:25 PM8/16/05
Find your original Microsoft Office XP CD.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

Tina

Nov 22, 2005, 8:00:02 AM11/22/05
I run windows XP and it is asking me to put my disk in I do not have the disk
and would like to download the latest version of word but cannot understand
how I do it can you help

Shenan Stanley

Nov 22, 2005, 10:20:57 AM11/22/05
Tina wrote:
> I run windows XP and it is asking me to put my disk in I do not
> have the disk and would like to download the latest version of
> word but cannot understand how I do it can you help

Your subject (stolen from the hijacked thread) is "Office XP Service Pack 3"
and you state you run Windows XP. Windows XP and Office XP are two totally
different products. One may run on top of the other... but they are not
the same.

If you need the Service Pack 3 for Office XP and it wants you to insert your
Office XP CD and you don't have it - then you are out of luck. That CD and
the corresponding product key are the proof of ownership. Also - if
something was to happen - how would you reinstall Office XP?

Although I have heard of systems that have recovery partitions and CDs to
restore the system back to the point it was when you bought it - I have not
witnessed any that had products included like Office that did not come with
the actual Office CDs - simple (I assumed) for this reason - they are often
needed to patch with. I cannot say with 100% certainty it doesn't happen
that way - ever..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP