Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!

Daniel

Oct 24, 2008, 2:35:06 PM10/24/08
Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed ±3-4
weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications, and
all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to my
network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless adapter --
until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency" Microsoft
critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the security update,
Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped (i.e.
it wasn't "disabled").

I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each time,
the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use as
a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online tech
support (again using another computer), and they advised me to check with
Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other reports of
or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.

Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?

-- Dan

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 24, 2008, 2:51:42 PM10/24/08
Are you certain that KB958644 installed successfully?

Are you certain that you only installed KB958644 last night?

Are you certain that all updates install since you installed WinXP and SP3
have installed successfully? (Successfully installed updates would be
listed in Add/Remove Programs if you check the SHOW UPDATES box).

If, in fact, KB958644 installed successfully, does uninstalling it resolve
the problem?

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Susan Bradley

Oct 24, 2008, 3:20:02 PM10/24/08
Try uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

Everyone that I've seen reporting this say that taking it off and then
putting it back on fixed it.

JOY2008

Oct 24, 2008, 8:34:01 PM10/24/08

You asked if anyone else had this problem.
Yes, this happened to me today.
I was able to correct it by using a backup.
My NIC is not wireless, it is just a standard NIC, but after installing
the "critical" update & restarting my pc, my NIC did not detect a
connection.

--
JOY2008
JOY2008's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/joy2008.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

zOS system engineer@discussions.microsoft.com IBM zOS system engineer

Oct 25, 2008, 10:27:00 AM10/25/08
I have a Linksys WUSB54GS wireless adapter and I am using free ZoneAlarm and
free AVG. When I install KB958644 I cannot connect to the wireless router I
received from Verizon, when I restore it off it works fine. XP Pro SP3

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 25, 2008, 2:50:00 PM10/25/08
What version of ZA Free, please?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Daniel

Oct 25, 2008, 3:54:00 PM10/25/08
Pa Bear --

Yes, it was the only update installed; I know that because I ALWAYS check to
see what update(s) are being installed, and specifically remember doing so
before installing this one. I had anticipated this update as it had been
noted in some ZDNet newsletters. Upon completion, the update reported it was
successful, and prompted me to restart the system, which I did. I also
checked the update history, which indicates that this and all other updates
were successful -- except for SP1 to Office 2007, and the .NET Framework 3.0
(though the Add/Remove Programs applet does show .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 as
installed).

I've once again uninstalled the Linksys drivers/software, and will uninstall
the update shortly (the reboot will force me to log off the Discussion
Groups), and will let you know what results -- assuming I can get back online
after the update removal . . . .

-- Dan

**********************************

Daniel

Oct 25, 2008, 5:31:00 PM10/25/08
PA Bear --

Okay, I have uninstalled first the Linksys drivers & software, then after a
reboot, uninstalled the KB958644 update, and rebooted the computer again.
The yellow shield appeared almost immediately in the system tray, indicating
the update has once again been downloaded and is ready for installation,
which I have not yet done. I did, however, try re-loading the drivers &
software for the Linksys wireless USB NIC, and again received the same error
message that [verbatim] "An error occurred during the installation of the
device. The name is already in use either as a service name or a service
display name." Device Manager says that "drivers for this device were not
installed (Code 28)" and attemps to re-install the drivers, both
automatically and by manually specifying the driver location (i.e. to the
directory to which they were extracted) again produce the same "service name"
error message.

So, uninstalling the critical update did not correct the problem.

I still have not yet re-installed the critical update. Any thoughts?
Should I kick this one back to Linksys again?

-- Dan

P.S. Please note my prior reply regarding the successful install of the
KB958644 update (the answer was "yes").

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 25, 2008, 5:48:28 PM10/25/08
I said nothing about uninstalling the Linksys drivers & software, Daniel.

> So, uninstalling the critical update did not correct the problem.

Did the problem persist after uninstalling the update *but before* you
started messing around with the NIC?

Could you connect directly via the router or modem before or after
uninstalling the update? Assuming you could, I'd get the update reinstalled
ASAP and then troubleshoot the problem with your NIC. Again, there's free
MS support available to you; see my previous reply.

MS08-067 is a VERY important update to have installed! See
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/23/get-protected-now.aspx

It's much more important to be patched than have a working wireless
connection IMHO.
--
~PA Bear

Daniel

Oct 25, 2008, 7:09:01 PM10/25/08
PA Bear --

Yes, I could connect both via modem and via the local LAN (i.e. through the
hub & router) before the initial install of the KB958644 update. After the
wireless NIC stopped working, I connected the onboard 10/100 NIC to the LAN,
which has worked flawlessly throughout all this. I just tested the dial-up
modem, and that works okay as well.

Incidentally, during a recent reboot, the logoff/shutdown/restart promp
indicated an update was ready to install, and should be installed during
shutdown (but of course it didn't identify the update), so I followed the
prompt. After this was complete, and the system powered up once again, I
checked to see if the update installed was KB958644 (it was). Of course I
checked to see if there was any change in the status of the wireless NIC, and
it was non-functional just as before the update re-install.

Per your earlier post (and since the wireless NIC software and KB958644
update were both installed), I just tried uninstalling the update while the
wireless NIC software was installed, and the NIC connected. The update
uninstall detected the wireless NIC, and suggested that it might not work
after the uninstallation. But what the hey, it wasn't working anyway. So I
continued to uninstall the update, and rebooted when prompted. The wireless
NIC still doesn't work, Device Manager still says the drivers aren't
installed, and manually re-installing them again produces the same old error
message (after which Device Manager says they still aren't installed!).

Any more thoughts? Is this the time to contact MS support?

-- Dan
********************************

Lyle

Oct 26, 2008, 12:37:01 AM10/26/08
Uninstall the windows update KB958644 and your internet should start working.
I'm running the latest version of ZoneAlarm 7.0483.0 and that update broke
ZoneAlarm on my computer.

Daniel

Oct 26, 2008, 1:07:01 AM10/26/08
Thanks for the thought, but if you had read the prior exchange between me and
PA Bear, you would know that I've already tried that, in various combinations
with installing/uninstalling/re-installing the drivers & software for the
wireless USB NIC. Nothing so far has helped, and the tech support at Linksys
was useless.
-- Dan

Roger

Oct 26, 2008, 5:57:00 AM10/26/08
Same problem here but using Netgear Rangemax Wireless secured with WPA This
Security update disables access to my wireless network. First, a system
restore resolved the problem. Then I updated a second time from Windows
Update custom. result was again the Wireless network went undetectable. Then
I uninstalled KB958644 from add/remove progs and the wireless network
reappeared and functioned. There is no doubt this update disables the
wireless network in more than just the Linksys environment. The answer
appears to be not to use it. For info the laptop in question is XP Pro SP3.
Celeron 1.73Ghz

Daniel

Oct 26, 2008, 3:28:01 PM10/26/08
Roger --

Unfortunately, in my case, uninstalling the update did not restore the
wireless USB NIC to working condition. At least for now, there seems to be
no fix for my predicament. This computer, however, is not a laptop or
notebook, but rather a "mini" desktop system that I've used for some remote
applications; it has an onboard 10/100 NIC that still works and is being used
for the network at home base, but I still need the wireless for remote
locations.

For what it's worth, my laptop (an older Gateway) has a Motorola PCMCIA
wireless NIC (802.11g), that survived the update without any problems. Could
be because it's a different brand (and therefore different drivers), or
because it's a card rather than USB, or something else. But both these
systems are running WinXP Pro SP3 with all other updates, and most of the
same software programs.

-- Dan
*************************************

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 26, 2008, 5:06:15 PM10/26/08
Reposting for Daniel and others who've posted to this thread:

> It's much more important to be patched than have a working wireless
> connection IMHO.

I would open a free support incident ASAP. See my earlier reply for links.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 26, 2008, 5:17:08 PM10/26/08
@Lyle only:

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).

What do you mean by KB958644 "broke ZoneAlarm on [your] computer"? Are you
getting "Page cannot be displayed" errors?

Is your problem only encountered when connecting wirelessly, as was
Daniel's?

Is KB958644 the ONLY update you installed before this problem started?

Are you running ZA Free, Pro, or ZAIS? Is there an update available for ZA
v7.0.483.0 that you've not installed yet? Have you contacted ZA Support
about this yet?

KB958644 is a VERY important update to have installed! See
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/23/get-protected-now.aspx

If it boils down to choosing between installing KB958644 and using ZA, I'd
strongly recommend (1) disabling or uninstalling ZA, (2) enabling the
Windows Firewall, and (3) getting KB958644 installed ASAP!

Again & at the risk of sounding like a broken record, MS is providing free
support for KB958644, including any untoward consequences encountered after
installing it:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Daniel

Oct 26, 2008, 6:04:01 PM10/26/08
PA Bear --

Thanks for the advice. Opened the incident a couple hours ago, and just
received a reply asking me to call them by phone, but it's too late to start
that call today (weekend hours end at 3:00pm), so will have to wait for
tomorrow's support hours. Will post here the results of the support
incident, in case it helps anyone else.

-- Dan

4arter

Oct 26, 2008, 6:31:26 PM10/26/08

I just found this thread while searching for a fix. The affected
computer is an XP machine (my Vista does NOT automatically update,
yes!). I went to Windows update and it wanted to install SP3 on my XP. I
thought I had done that months ago, but it said not, so I let it
proceed. During the process I got an "Access Denied" error, so I spent
time trying out MS's fix for that error message, and it did not work.
Meanwhile, the XP machine could no longer access the network.

It is an ethernet connection. Sticking the wire in my laptop produced a
connection, so the problem is in the XP. When telling the machine to
connect, it acts like it is doing it, and it reports success. It even
shows some packets going out. But nothing come in.

After screwing with it for a few hours, I decided to try the Linksys
WUSB54GS USB wireless adapter (same as the one mentioned in previous
posts). I use it on my Vista. I installed the driver on the XP, and the
instant I plugged it in, the XP crashed and went to the reboot screen,
and then froze there. Cycling power allowed a boot that completed.
Trying again did not change the behavior.

Something screwy is definitely going on.

Add/Remove says I can't uninstall any of the 'updates' that made it in.

I guess I'll call Microsoft, as recommended. I bet there's a loooong
wait tomorrow.

--
4arter

benzitsoatl

Oct 26, 2008, 8:44:06 PM10/26/08

KB958644 messed up my wireless connectivity at home. All my computers
were not able to connect to my XP computer with Linksys router. I
uninstalled KB958644, DISABLED Auto Windows updates so it wouldn't load
up again. After a while (boot up and reset of router) all my computers
around the house were finally able to connect to internet through the
linksys.

Moral of the story, KB958644 screwed up my router. Some posting around
the web said it was because of their antivirus. I tried disabling
antivirus, nothing worked until I got rid of that KB958644 update.
Makes me want to buy a Macintosh if those dimwits at Microsoft can't get
their act together. Things like this will make a Chinese generic OS
come in and take over one of these days. Brighten up MS!

--
benzitsoatl

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 26, 2008, 9:14:54 PM10/26/08
@benzitsoatl:

Do the machines connnect to the internet if the're connected directly to the
router or modem?

(if any)?

KB958644 is a VERY important update to have installed! See
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/23/get-protected-now.aspx

If the choice boils down to installing KB958644 or having wireless access,
I'd strongly recommend the former. Afterwards, you can work with free MS
Support to figure out why your wireless card or router isn't working:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Jerry

Oct 26, 2008, 11:29:01 PM10/26/08
I've read all the posts on this problem and tried all the suggestions. Still
cannot get the wireless to connect.

Susan Bradley

Oct 26, 2008, 11:38:03 PM10/26/08
http://www.avg.com/support#tba1

Do you have AVG installed?

If so they broke your wireless.

Susan Bradley

Oct 26, 2008, 11:37:20 PM10/26/08
Do you have AVG installed?

In case that some components are inactive or you are experiencing
blocked internet connection after the last AVG 8.0 program update
(8.0.196), please try to restart your computer. If the issue persists
even after the restart, proceed as follows in order to resolve this issue:

download the archive from the link below to your hard drive and extract it
fixfiles.zip
run the "fixfiles.exe" utility
restart your computer
In case the issue still persists, please perform repair installation of
your AVG as described in FAQ #948.

If the issue persists even after performing a repair installation,
please contact us using the "Get Help Online" option in AVG.

http://www.avg.com/support#tba1

benzitsoatl

Oct 27, 2008, 8:36:56 AM10/27/08

PA BEAR,
I have an XP with Linksys router, this one DID have acces to the
internet. The other computers that were not able to connect wirelessly
were a laptop with Vista and another with XP. I have McAfee as
antivirus. After hours of troubleshooting, it wasn't until I restored
(the XP machine wired to the Linksys router) to an earlier state before
the update, and that worked. Of course it takes about 10 minutes for
the network to come on after the restore. So it wasn't instantaneous.

The KB958644 also disabled my Pinnacle HDTV on my vista machine. I had
to re-install. I'm not a super techie, I just know what happened, what
worked and how... not why.

It seemed that after the KB update, the other machines that were trying
to get a wireless connection and automatic IP from the router coudn't.
The wired machine was conecting, and that is how I was able to surf and
try to find out if this was sytemic or just my set up that was bad. It
WAS a systemic Microsoft update that broke my connectivity along with
other softwares. As I continue to monitor, I see other cases of
different things that ware going bad. So.... microsoft put out an
anti-serum to cure a potential virus, but the serum itself is bringing
ills instead. Sounds like a bad movie, huh? 48 hrs! We'll call this
one "Update at night".

Leo

Oct 27, 2008, 9:33:01 AM10/27/08
Please help with this issue!

I have the same problem, and seems no working answer to this problem in this
discussion!

Thanks!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 27, 2008, 1:12:49 PM10/27/08
Susan Bradley wrote:
<snip>

> Do you have AVG installed?
>
> In case that some components are inactive or you are experiencing
> blocked internet connection after the last AVG 8.0 program update
> (8.0.196), please try to restart your computer. If the issue persists
> even after the restart, proceed as follows in order to resolve this
> issue...

NB: This does NOT apply to AVG Free v8.0, only the paid versions of AVG
software (i.e., AVG Pro AV; AVG AV & Firewall; AVG Internet Security).

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 27, 2008, 1:13:06 PM10/27/08

Susan Bradley wrote:
> http://www.avg.com/support#tba1
>
> Do you have AVG installed?
>
> If so they broke your wireless.

<snip>

PA Bear [MS MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Robert Aldwinckle

Oct 27, 2008, 3:17:11 PM10/27/08

"Leo" <L...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF33E106-75AF-410B...@microsoft.com...

> Please help with this issue!
>
> I have the same problem, and

> seems no working answer to this problem in this discussion!

On the contrary, it seems that nobody yet has tried *all*
the suggestions made in this discussion.

E.g. if in the same way that an update to IE makes iexplore.exe
appear to be a Trojan to third-party security products,
I can imagine that this update to services which require external
connections could make those security interferers think that a Trojan
was trying to insert itself in the TCP/IP stack and then cause
those connections to be blocked.

To see the potential scope of this issue see how many programs
you have running are using the main module being updated.
E.g. in a cmd window enter:

tasklist /svc /fi "Modules eq netapi32.dll"

and that doesn't even take into account any of the .NET modules
being updated.

So, until the security products get clued in to this update
and stop their misguided interference, it would be best
to disable them and use the Windows firewall instead
for your network security.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Thanks!
>

> "Daniel" wrote:
>
>> Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed ą3-4

micky_c

Oct 27, 2008, 6:23:03 PM10/27/08
Hello,

Same problem here, my Wireless NIC started to missbehave after installing
KB958644. Here are my workstation details:

- Dell Latitude D510 Laptop - Pentium M Processor 1.73 GHz
- Windowx XP Professional SP3
- NIC : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG, Hardware version: 2.2.3
Controllers:
Date: 19/12/2007
Version: 9.0.4.39
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\w29n51.sys
Version: 9.0.4.39 Driver
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\Netw2c32.dll
Version: 9.0.4.95
-C:\WINDOWS\system32\Netw2r32.dll
Version: 9.0.4.95

- Other software which could be related to this:
- Antivirus : avast! version 4.8 Home Edition
- Anti-Spyware: Windows Defender Version 1.1.1593.0

I've already log an issue with MSoft using your link, but still have not
received any answer....clearly this update is causing a lot of trouble....and
no solution yet from MS guys!!!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 27, 2008, 6:55:39 PM10/27/08
Thanks for your feedback. Stick with MS Support on this one, Micky.

Again, you're much better off having KB958644 installed and connecting
directly to your router or modem than not installing it and being able to
connect wirelessly.

You *might* try temporarily disabling Avast before the next installation
attempt but don't do anything else online while Avast is disabled!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DaveA

Oct 28, 2008, 6:08:01 AM10/28/08
Daniel

Only thing I can direct you to would be looking at the attached services
that are required, such as IPSec, which we have had some issues on our
clients SBS servers since/around the patch (one did not allow network
connections at the patch was put on).

Have a look into this, hope this helps.

Dave

DaveA

Oct 28, 2008, 6:10:02 AM10/28/08
We had found IPSec to be the culprit after the updates, quick rebuild and
reboot all ok.

Regards

Dave

"JOY2008" wrote:

> You asked if anyone else had this problem.
> Yes, this happened to me today.
> I was able to correct it by using a backup.
> My NIC is not wireless, it is just a standard NIC, but after installing
> the "critical" update & restarting my pc, my NIC did not detect a
> connection.
>

> --
> JOY2008
> JOY2008's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/joy2008.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1060795.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

micky_c

Oct 28, 2008, 6:25:00 PM10/28/08
Hello PA Bear,

I tried your suggestion and un-install and re-install the KB958644 while
Avast! was turned off, but that didn't help either. By the way, when I was
unistalling it, I got prompted with a window stating that there might be an
issue with some files, which turned out to be the wireless NIC drivers!!!
(very suspicious...at least).

The behaviour of the wireless connection is quite strange: the icon in the
system tray shows that it's disconnected, but if I display all available
wireless networks and I click on mine, it asks me if I want to disconnect.
Disconnecting and trying to connect again doesn't work: after trying for a
while it gives an error saying that it can't connect to the network.

Got an email from MS asking details like city, country, phone number and a
time where they can contact me, but that's all....four days since I installed
the update and my wireless NIC is still a mess!!!...

micky_c

Oct 28, 2008, 7:28:01 PM10/28/08

Solved!!!!....I followed by chance the step-by-step network connection
problem help link that shows in IE when it cannot connect and found that the
issue was with the option to use IEEE 802.1X authentication in the wireless
network (you can find this in the "Authentication" tab when viewing the
properties of your wireless network, just uncheck it) : I was able to connect
before the KB958644 update, even with this option active, but it looks like
after the security update, if this is marked, then it takes precedence and
you can't connect to your wireless network any more.... Hope this helps as
well someone else...I never though that I was ever going to thank IE for
anything...but surprise, surprise, never say never....(well, taking into
account that the MS Update created as well the problem, the score is even
:))....Cheers!.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 28, 2008, 10:36:38 PM10/28/08
Thanks VERY much for your feedback, Micky!

PS: If you're a US or CA resident, phone support is available for issues
related to security updates. See my previous reply to this thread below.

IBM zOS system engineer

Oct 30, 2008, 1:46:01 PM10/30/08
Free AVG 8.0.75

"IBM zOS system engineer" wrote:

> I have a Linksys WUSB54GS wireless adapter and I am using free ZoneAlarm and
> free AVG. When I install KB958644 I cannot connect to the wireless router I
> received from Verizon, when I restore it off it works fine. XP Pro SP3

IBM zOS system engineer

Oct 30, 2008, 1:57:02 PM10/30/08
I have the same version of free ZoneAlarm. If there is an error in ZoneAlarm
I suspect there is a fix available because IBM SWG in research triangle park
uses the profession version of commercial ZoneAlarm as a software firewall.

"Lyle" wrote:

> Uninstall the windows update KB958644 and your internet should start working.
> I'm running the latest version of ZoneAlarm 7.0483.0 and that update broke
> ZoneAlarm on my computer.

7changedotcom

Nov 11, 2008, 7:23:01 PM11/11/08
Same deal here. My computer can't find my Wireless Network now, after doing
the updated. How do you uninstall the latest update?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 11, 2008, 7:31:17 PM11/11/08
Have you read any of the other 38 posts in this thread yet?

KB958644 was released weeks ago: When did you install it?

Are you running ZA or AVG 8 (paid version only)?

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

7changedotcom

Nov 11, 2008, 9:24:00 PM11/11/08
I reset all my services to default setup and no results. Then I downloaded
the driver for my Wireless card and I was able to use my wireless system
again.