SP2 Error "Could not find the update.inf file"

w_mcmahon

Nov 2, 2004, 10:30:01 PM11/2/04
My SP2 installation failed for Windows XP. The error message is "Setup could
not find the update.inf file needed to update your system". How do I restore
this file? Do I need to reload Windows XP?
--
McMahon

Taurarian

Nov 3, 2004, 4:43:42 AM11/3/04
Setup Error
The <path>\Update.inf file is not correct.
If Cryptographic Services has NOT been started, you will receive this error.
To resolve this problem:
1. Open a CMD prompt.
2. Type net start "Cryptographic Services".

http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updatinf.htm

For further information etc.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs “Digital Signature not found”
When you use the Windows Update Web site to install updates, the installation fails
and the Windows Update.log file contains error 80070643.

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2
Cannot install Service Pack 2

Scroll down to:
Cryptographic service and related errors

"w_mcmahon" <w_mc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

w_mcmahon

Nov 24, 2004, 3:13:02 PM11/24/04
Thanks for the tips. Based on one of the hyperlinks, I determined my
firewall program was interfering with the download