Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)

mizsub

Jul 9, 2008, 6:11:02 AM7/9/08
Good to know it's not just me having these problems, 6 restarts on my laptop
already today and outlook keeps loading in safe mode which of course means
i'm losing some functionalities, slightly frustrating as 2 hours in to my
working day at the office and nothing achieved as yet!! aaarrrgghh!!

Let's keep everything crossed for an extremely quick fix!!!! :{

Shawn

Jul 9, 2008, 7:14:00 AM7/9/08
> Good to know it's not just me having these problems, 6 restarts on my laptop
> already today and outlook keeps loading in safe mode which of course means
> i'm losing some functionalities, slightly frustrating as 2 hours in to my
> working day at the office and nothing achieved as yet!! aaarrrgghh!!

I just went through some of this on one of my servers. SQL Server had a few
services disabled ('cause I rarely require it). Chances are good that this is
what is wrong with you, too.

Right click My Computer, select Manage, Services and Applications, Services.
Now find everything that STARTS WITH "MSSQL" or "SQLAgent" that has a
"startup type" of "Disabled" and change their startup type to "Manual".

You will then be able to successfully install the related updates.

It will require a reboot. After it comes back up you can re-disable the
services if you want.

What a waste of time. Good luck!

-Shawn

mizsub

Jul 9, 2008, 7:27:00 AM7/9/08
Yes after spending much time trying to restart the services during the
install attempts i decided to forget it and disable them. Not great news for
Business Contact Manager though so it's a good job i don't need to use that
facility today.

Thanks for confirming my solution. I had posted this prior to disabling the
services mainly through frustration... let's say i needed to complain about
it!! :)

I'll try re-installing with all such services switched off and keep my
fingers crossed..

Have a good day....

Shawn

Jul 9, 2008, 7:30:00 AM7/9/08
> I'll try re-installing with all such services switched off and keep my
> fingers crossed..

They need to be set to "manual", not "disabled". If they're set to disabled
it will not work.

-Shawn

mizsub

Jul 9, 2008, 7:35:00 AM7/9/08
Ok Shawn thanks for clarifying that.

ms :)

Matthew Frahm

Jul 9, 2008, 10:47:00 AM7/9/08
None of my SQL instances are disabled, but it still won't install via WSUS.

mikegee

Jul 9, 2008, 6:48:07 PM7/9/08
hi Shawn

I had same problem with installing this update(KB948109) and tried the
'services' suggestion but they are all manual and I still can't update. error
message 0x783. Also the 'SQL Server Directory Active Helper' under 'Services'
will not allow me to start it. Can you make any suggestions.

Thanks
--
mickyg

Juergen Heckel

Jul 9, 2008, 11:38:04 PM7/9/08
mikegee wrote:
> hi Shawn
>
> I had same problem with installing this update(KB948109) and tried the
> 'services' suggestion but they are all manual and I still can't update. error
> message 0x783. Also the 'SQL Server Directory Active Helper' under 'Services'
> will not allow me to start it. Can you make any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Hi,
exact the same problem here :-(

--
Juergen Heckel

TCB

Jul 10, 2008, 5:36:02 PM7/10/08

"Juergen Heckel" wrote:

Yeah, me too... This is EXTREMELY annoying...I can't get rid of the update
icon in the sys tray and it is always showing the red shut down and install
updates button... even after 10 'successful' updates.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 10, 2008, 7:31:47 PM7/10/08
From MS Support:

<QP>
Error: 733F-- Services Failed to Start

SQL Server services. This can happen for several reasons including: expired
account password, invalid user account, user account does not have
permission to start the service, or there is something else wrong with the
service.

Resolution: To help you determine which service is failing to start, view
the summary.txt file that is created at...

%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix

Once you determine which service is failing, do the following:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.

3. Locate the SQL Server service causing the problem and try to manually
start the service.

4. If the service still does not start, try resetting the password or the
user account. After doing this, restart the service manually

More information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282254

If you need additional help, please post your summary.txt file located at

%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix

to the SQL Server Setup MSDN forum at
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=95&SiteID=1
</QP>
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Kawliga

Jul 11, 2008, 10:46:10 AM7/11/08

Novice

Jul 11, 2008, 4:43:05 PM7/11/08
Well I have no idea how to figure out which server is failing. I have a
business computer at home that is not on a network. (Only way I could get Win
XP on a new computer!) I don't even know if I need this SQL Server and I have
no idea how to get rid of it if I don't need it.

I have all this "administrator" stuff on the computer, which I do not use
and don't need, either.

So I have several "failed Installations" for Security Update for SQL 2005
Service Pack. They just keep coming and so do the "corrupt SQL or tampered
with" signs in grey, one after the other.

I am hoping one of you brilliant techies out there can advise me. This is
getting to be a very annoying issue.

Thanks for anything you can do. I am way over my head here.
--
Total Novice

Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

Jul 12, 2008, 1:36:53 AM7/12/08
To determine which service is failing veiw the summary log file at
%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix. If you
can figure out, post your summary.txt log to the forums.

Thanks,
Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

"Novice" <Nov...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

Jul 12, 2008, 1:37:43 AM7/12/08
You can't start the 'SQL Server Directory Active Helper' service, so you can
ignore this.

Thanks,
Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

"TCB" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Novice

Jul 12, 2008, 3:07:00 PM7/12/08
There are many lines of info, so I chose one of the ones from 7/11. Is this
the summary you refer to?
Thanks from Novice

Time: 07/11/2008 23:47:29.328
KB Number: KB948109
Machine: HP20413298702
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
Package Platform: x86
Package SP Level: 2
Package Version: 3068
Command-line parameters specified:
/quiet
/allinstances
Cluster Installation: No

Prerequisites Check & Status
SQLSupport: Passed

Products Detected Language Level Patch Level
Platform Edition
SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ) ENU SP2
2005.090.3042.00 x86 EXPRESS

Products Disqualified & Reason
Product Reason

Processes Locking Files
Process Name Feature Type User Name
PID

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ)
Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 29503
Error Description : MSP Error: 29503 The SQL Server service failed
to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How
to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."

Summary
One or more products failed to install, see above for details
Exit Code Returned: 29503

--
Total Novice

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 12, 2008, 4:14:10 PM7/12/08

Novice

Jul 12, 2008, 4:53:01 PM7/12/08
Every time I go to that URL, it asks me for my profile, which I have already
entered. When I re-enter the info, I get "this profile already exists." At
the top it says "sign out." There is no place to go from there but out. So I
am getting nowhere. You see why I am a total novice?
--
Total Novice

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 12, 2008, 5:06:29 PM7/12/08
1. Sign out of Windows/Windows Live/MSN Messenger then close the
application.

2. If you're running Windows Live Mail, sign out then close the application.

3. Go to http://login.live.com and sign out of any other Live IDs.

4. Go to the forum and Sign In.
==============================
You have company. See
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3446900&SiteID=1

Also see
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=149990&SiteID=17
==============================

Understand that you can open a free support incident about your issues:

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB948109).

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Novice wrote:
> Every time I go to that URL, it asks me for my profile, which I have
> already
> entered. When I re-enter the info, I get "this profile already exists."
> At
> the top it says "sign out." There is no place to go from there but out. So
> am getting nowhere. You see why I am a total novice?

Steve Kass

Jul 12, 2008, 5:14:00 PM7/12/08
Try a different browser, or for the browser you're using, see if it
helps to delete
the browser cookies for *.live.com and *.microsoft.com. This isn't your
fault.

Steve Kass
Drew University
http://www.stevekass.com

foggydewbhoy

Jul 13, 2008, 7:03:00 AM7/13/08
I've tried several times to install this update; it keeps failing and my
update history says this

"Installation Failure Error Code: 0x733F"

many thanks for any replies

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 13, 2008, 3:39:30 PM7/13/08
See these threads about the problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/search?q=0x733F+%2B+sql&start=0&scoring=d

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

cpadd2008

Jul 14, 2008, 8:33:37 AM7/14/08

I tried the setting to manual for all SQL services and same results.
The following is the message from summary text.

MSP Error: 1706 An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL
Server 2005 Express Edition cannot be found. Try the installation again
using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlrun_sql.msi'.

--
cpadd2008

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 14, 2008, 3:06:54 PM7/14/08
See these related threads in MSDN Forums:
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Search/Search.aspx?words=1706&localechoice=9&SiteID=1&searchscope=forumscope&ForumID=95

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Lauria@discussions.microsoft.com Paul Lauria

Jul 15, 2008, 6:38:25 AM7/15/08
downloaded this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4c9851cc-2c4c-4190-872c-84993a7623b7&DisplayLang=en

I found this in my install error log:

Error Description : MSP Error: 29513 SQL Server Setup Failed to
compile the Managed Object Format (MOF) file c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlwep-xp.mof. To proceed, see "Troubleshooting an
Installation of SQL Server 2005" or "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log
Files" in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help documentation.

quick search on google came up with:
http://slashstar.com/blogs/tim/archive/2007/01/22/sql-server-installation-problems-on-vista-failed-to-compile-the-managed-object-format.aspx

followed this, and install completed successfully

Typical waste of my time, but hopefully help someone else....hmm this is
almost like open source :p

I.R.

Jul 15, 2008, 2:53:03 PM7/15/08
Since a week ago .
Every time I tried to install Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service
Pack 2 (KB948109) an error message is appear " Some updates were not install"
and Error found : Code 6D9E and the Get help link is not helpful.

RobOak

Jul 15, 2008, 5:17:03 PM7/15/08

A.M.

Jul 15, 2008, 6:18:07 PM7/15/08
I am having this problem as well, and would love some help :)

Swenson@discussions.microsoft.com Don Swenson

Jul 15, 2008, 8:44:31 PM7/15/08

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 15, 2008, 9:27:59 PM7/15/08

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB948109).

your usual support contacts.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

William

Jul 15, 2008, 9:49:51 PM7/15/08
I get the same problem only with an error of 0x737D. WTF

cpadd2008

Jul 16, 2008, 1:33:35 PM7/16/08

Thanks for the suggestion, the following is the current error code, I
have stopped services, changed to manual, disables, automatic and the
update fails.

MSP Error: 29533 Service 'MARSH-CT-PC\ACT7' could not be stopped.
Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services. The
error code is (16386)

pst...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2008, 2:05:04 AM7/17/08
After investigating the error logs produced by the installer to get a
clue about what was going on, I took the following two steps and the
windows update patch successfully ran:

1) Kill the process tree of ArpWrapper.exe (This was probably just
blocking step 2, you need to make sure nothing from this folder is
running even it means booting in safe mode so that step 2 will
complete successfully, otherwise the open file handles will stop the
de-compression algorithm.)
2) Uncompress the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server folder as
well as all of its subfolders. You can do this by right clicking on
the folder and going to properties -> advanced -> uncheck the
"compress contents to save disk space" box. Click "Ok", then click
"Apply" and tell it to apply to the folder as well as all subfolders.

Let me know if this helps!

mchua

Jul 17, 2008, 10:07:00 AM7/17/08
I was trying to install this update to no avail. Error code returned is
2B08. I had try to search for KB on this error code but return no results.
Now I cannot RAS in to my corpnet because of security violation for not
installing this update. I am stuck. Any assistance you can offer is much
appreciated.

Thank you!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 17, 2008, 2:03:09 PM7/17/08
Tip from a pro:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/07/17/patching-this-month-sbs-2003-sp2-standard.aspx

Or you could...

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number(s).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

kavi_nash

Jul 18, 2008, 6:25:20 AM7/18/08
Found possible solutions at last!!!

When you face this problem, the first thing you have to do is to go
through the latest log file Summary.txt under the directory C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\ and search
for any failures (Status : Failure). We can solve the issue directly
from this log file.

Here is what I have observed in the log file in different machines and
the possible solutions :

• Case 1:

Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005

(SQLEXPRESS)

Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
SQL Express Features :

Error Number : 1646
Error
Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
following changes. In the registry editor, go through the following
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\7DDFFFA258DE09A4C825D59ABECDB9F8
and search for Uninstallable key. Change the value to 1 if it is 0.
Reinstall the patch and it should be successful now.

• Case 2:

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005

(MSSQLSERVER)
Product Version (Previous): 3054

Product Version (Final) :

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log

Error Number : 29506
Error Description : MSP Error: 29506 SQL Server Setup failed
to modify security permissions on file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ for user Administrator. To proceed, verify
that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, that the
account running SQL Server Setup has administrator privileges, and
that exists on the destination drive.

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
following changes. Login to management studio for the default
instance(MSSQLSERVER) and have a look at what all database we are
having. We should not have any other file other than database,
certificates under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL
\Data\. Try moving all the files under this directory to a temp
folder. Leave the files which are in use. It moved around 10 files
which are not in use in my case. Also assign Full permission to the
logged in user to this folder. Start the installation and choose the
default instance. It should be successful.

• Case 3:

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005

(MSSQLSERVER)
Product Version (Previous): 3054

Product Version (Final) :

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log

Error Number : 29538
Error Description : MSP Error: 29538 SQL Server Setup did not
have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:
\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf.
To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant
administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or
log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
following changes. Verify that distmdl.ldf and distmdl.mdf files are
present under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
\ and grant administrator permissions for these files to the logged in
account.

Please feel free to contact me if you face similar kind of issues.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 18, 2008, 3:53:40 PM7/18/08
Thanks for sharing this information with the Community here.

Colby_823

Jul 19, 2008, 2:55:00 AM7/19/08
everytime I try to install this update it ends up failing i will try to
install the update it will say "Fail to update" but windows update will want
to restart the computer so i do so but when it starts back up it wants to
reinstall it and the process repeats so...anyone have any idea what is going
on with this? i have windows vista buisness, Sony Micro PC.

WebbCMH

Jul 19, 2008, 3:39:01 AM7/19/08
I have the exact same issue on a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ laptop - it is like being
in a continual update loop - I also think this is causing other issues. Have
you installed Vista Service Pack 1 yet? I have not as I am concerned it will
not install properly unless this current update issue is resolved....I will
see if I can get anywhere with the Sony help desk.....

Davworth

Jul 19, 2008, 3:56:01 AM7/19/08
Also got the same problem nd cant find a solution.I'm uisng Windows XP and a
fairly old MESH. help apprecaited

WebbCMH

Jul 19, 2008, 3:58:01 AM7/19/08
I get error code 645 - have you the same?

visrom

Jul 19, 2008, 8:57:01 AM7/19/08
I have been facing the same problem with my Windows Xp for the last few days.
I have a Dell Inspiron system. As I do not run SQL server on my computer,
this update is not important to me. Can I somehow choose not to install this
particular update? Or could someone tell me how to make it install itself?

cboston

Jul 19, 2008, 10:35:01 AM7/19/08
I continue to get this update even after it shows that it was successfully
installed. I have done every step suggested in the knowledge base
troubleshooter. Does anyone have a solution
--
cboston

ahhuber

Jul 19, 2008, 11:12:00 AM7/19/08

ahhuber

Jul 19, 2008, 11:15:00 AM7/19/08

I have a similar problem with installing KB948109. I get "some updates were
not installed" Coded 66E. My OS is Vista 64.

Dennis

Jul 23, 2008, 6:55:00 AM7/23/08
How do I "kill the process tree of ArpWrapper.exe?

bjbina

Jul 23, 2008, 4:00:06 PM7/23/08
For me the issue was having the above mentioned directory compressed. Once I
cleared that, the update work sucessfuly. Thanks for investigating this and
providing the answer.

Bruce

Chris-77

Jul 25, 2008, 9:32:01 AM7/25/08
Hallo!!

I have been facing the same problem the last 5-10 days and as I only know
very few things about computers, I can't solve it.

I actually found out that I have 34 log files Summary.txt, Summary_1.txt,...
etc.

You have mentioned 'In the registry editor, go through the following
> key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.....'. Where is that registry editor? :-(

Can you please help me?
Thx

chri...@yahoo.gr

Jul 27, 2008, 5:34:07 PM7/27/08
Good evening!

I am from Greece and 10 days ago i tried to update Windows but an
error occured with the code 2B08.

I found the file 'Summary.txt' under the directory C:\Program Files
\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix, which includes
the following:

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005

(VAIO_VEDB)

Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File :

SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 11016
Error Description : SQL Server not responsive prior to running
Repl post script procedure

Can you please please help me solve this problem??

Thank you,
Maria

kavi_nash

Jul 28, 2008, 6:57:16 AM7/28/08
On Jul 25, 6:32 pm, Chris-77 <Chris...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Hey Chris:

no problem...I can help you...
access the registry editor by typing 'regedit' in RUN (w/o quotes).
And regarding the log file, you have to look into the latest
summary.txt file (sort by date modified)
Revert back if you still face issues

chri...@yahoo.gr

Jul 28, 2008, 12:40:51 PM7/28/08
Hallo again!!

Thank you very much for your reply!

I reached the log file Summary.txt under the directory C:\Program Files
\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\ and observed the
following:

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005

(VAIO_VEDB)

Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File :

SQL Express Features :

Error Number : 11016
Error Description : SQL Server not responsive prior to running
Repl post script procedure

Do you think this problem is similar to your CASE 1?

After your help I did manage to access the registry editor and typed
'regedit' in RUN.
However I can’t find anything called ‘Uninstallable key’ under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\7DDFFFA258DE09A4C825D59ABECDB9F8.

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you!
Maria

Marion

Jul 28, 2008, 6:16:20 PM7/28/08

Alan

Jul 29, 2008, 10:55:01 PM7/29/08

How to kill the process tree of ArpWrapper.exe?

davidwicker

Jul 30, 2008, 7:10:32 AM7/30/08
I've got the same problem, my summary.txt reads

Time: 07/30/2008 11:25:01.879
KB Number: KB948109
Machine: DAVIDW-HP
OS Version: Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
Package Platform: x86
Package SP Level: 2
Package Version: 3068
Command-line parameters specified:
/quiet
/allinstances
Cluster Installation: No

Prerequisites Check & Status
SQLSupport: Passed

Products Detected Language Level Patch Level Platform Edition
SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7) ENU SP2 2005.090.3042.00 x86 EXPRESS
SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ) ENU SP2 2005.090.3068.00 x86 EXPRESS

Products Disqualified & Reason
Product Reason

Processes Locking Files
Process Name Feature Type User Name PID
MSSQL$ACT7 SQL Server Database Services Service 2588

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7)

Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File :
SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 11016
Error Description : SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure

Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ)
Product Version (Previous): 3068
Product Version (Final) :

Log File :
SQL Express Features :

Error Number : 0
Error Description :

Summary

SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure

Exit Code Returned: 11016

Please advise what I should do

Marion

Jul 30, 2008, 11:37:17 AM7/30/08
Thank you for your response, but it did not help for two reasons.

1.) I am insufficiently technical to know how to kill the process tree of
ArpWrapper.exe, and I am a little afraid of fooling around by myself to try
figuring it out. Can you help me with this?
2.) The folder you refer to is not compressed, so this cannot be part of the
issue.

Can you or someone else please help more/again with the problem. I am being
driven mad by the constant messages to install the update when I shut down.
I cannot install the update or stop the messages or find any way of deleting
the uninstalled update. Right now, I'd settle for anything that would give
me some relief.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can HELP, PLEASE.

chri...@yahoo.gr

Jul 30, 2008, 4:53:39 PM7/30/08
On 30 Ιούλ, 14:10, david wicker wrote:
> I've got the same problem, my summary.txt reads
>
> Time: 07/30/2008 11:25:01.879
> KB Number: KB948109
> Machine: DAVIDW-HP
> OS Version: Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
> Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
> Package Platform: x86
> Package SP Level: 2
> Package Version: 3068
> Command-line parameters specified:
>      /quiet
>      /allinstances
> Cluster Installation: No
>
> ***************************************************************************­*******

> Prerequisites Check & Status
> SQLSupport: Passed
>
> ***************************************************************************­*******

> Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
> SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7)  ENU       SP2    2005.090.3042.00  x86       EXPRESS
> SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ)  ENU       SP2    2005.090.3068.00  x86       EXPRESS
>
> ***************************************************************************­*******

> Products Disqualified & Reason
> Product                                   Reason
>
> ***************************************************************************­*******

> Processes Locking Files
> Process Name          Feature               Type          User Name                  PID
> MSSQL$ACT7            SQL Server Database Services  Service                                  2588
>
> ***************************************************************************­*******

> Product Installation Status
> Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7)
> Product Version (Previous): 3042
> Product Version (Final)   :
> Status                    : Failure
> Log File                  :
> SQL Express Features      :
> Error Number              : 11016
> Error Description         : SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-------

> Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ)
> Product Version (Previous): 3068
> Product Version (Final)   :
> Status                    : Not Selected
> Log File                  :
> SQL Express Features      :
> Error Number              : 0
> Error Description         :
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-------
>
> ***************************************************************************­*******

> Summary
>      SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure
>      Exit Code Returned: 11016
>
> Please advise what I should do

Hallo!!

If you find a solution to this problem will you please let me know??

Thank you!
Maria (Greece)

Alan

Jul 31, 2008, 1:51:01 AM7/31/08
I have no idea of how to kill the process tree of the execution file as
well...however, I have directly gone to step no. 2 as mentioned by
pst...@gmail.com without bothering much of the previous step. There were
messages popping up during the decompression process saying that SQL
manegement file is being used by other process, I just ignored them and
proceeded with the decompression. Eventually, I able to get through the
update. Hope this will help.

ilkayhusseyin

Jul 31, 2008, 6:50:35 AM7/31/08
Hi kavi_nash ... just a reply to say thank you - I have been searching for a resolution to this issue for the past couple of weeks with no luck & I followed your possible solution for Case 1 & it worked. The update has been successfully installed now. Do I need to change the registry entry that was changed back to 0 or is it ok to leave it as 1??

Chris Foster

Aug 4, 2008, 7:45:01 AM8/4/08
This patch has been a source of frustration for several weeks since my system
always wants to install it and never can. My SQL directory is not compressed
so that suggestion isn't going to help. How about a patch that we can install
ourselves so we are not treated like a bunch of mushrooms? Or just correct
thiss self installing update because it is obvious a lot of users are having
issues here.

-Chris

"I.R." wrote:

> Since a week ago .
> Every time I tried to install Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service
> Pack 2 (KB948109) an error message is appear " Some updates were not install"
> and Error found : Code 6D9E and the Get help link is not helpful.

Marion

Aug 5, 2008, 11:28:06 AM8/5/08

Marion

Aug 5, 2008, 11:37:01 AM8/5/08

"Marion" wrote:

Thanks for trying, but your solution does not help me. My C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server folder is not compressed in the first place. Does
anyone have any other ideas?

FYI -- I've already called Microsoft's free support service, and the
"engineers" there were completely clueless, spoke practically no English, and
insisted on continuing to try up to the point where they wasted a full two
hours of my time.

Robert Aldwinckle

Aug 5, 2008, 2:32:17 PM8/5/08
(cross-post added to SQL Server Setup)
"Chris Foster" <Chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> This patch has been a source of frustration for several weeks since my system
> always wants to install it and never can. My SQL directory is not compressed
> so that suggestion isn't going to help.

Are you seeing hex code 0x6D9E as well?
Try searching for additional diagnostics
using the decimal equivalent (28062)?

> How about a patch that we can install
> ourselves so we are not treated like a bunch of mushrooms?

The solution for many of these codes seems to depend on how
the product was initially installed and whether access to the original
install files is still available by the same user.

> Or just correct
> thiss self installing update because it is obvious a lot of users are having
> issues here.

I've been wondering how many of these users actually need SQL at all.
If they don't use it perhaps it would be best if they simply uninstalled
the product completely? <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Robert Aldwinckle

Aug 5, 2008, 6:53:01 PM8/5/08
"Marion" <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Since you are "non-technical" what do you use SQL for?
Perhaps the simplest solution would be to uninstall
the product completely? ; }

> FYI -- I've already called Microsoft's free support service, and the
> "engineers" there were completely clueless, spoke practically no English, and
> insisted on continuing to try up to the point where they wasted a full two
> hours of my time.

That's why newsgroups, forums or E-mail are often better
help mechanisms.

BTW your Me too! postings are completely devoid of symptom
details. I think it would be a good idea to start your own thread
either here or in the forum for SQL Setup so you don't cause any
more confusion with the OP's incident and its resolution.
Alternatively, try using the free Microsoft support again, this time
using communication by E-mail--no problems with "accents"
that way. ; }

DDT

Aug 15, 2008, 12:18:01 PM8/15/08
I had the same problem, but after I turned on all the services related to
SQLSever. I was able to update the SP.
To turn on the services:

1. Click on Start, and then Run, type in msconfig, and click on OK.
2. Click on Services tab, and check all the services with the word "SQL" in
it, then click on Ok.
3. You have to restart your computer.

After restarting your computer, try to update again. Hopefully this may help.

If you are unable to update the MS Office, do the same, but turn on "Office
Source Engine".

D.

"William" wrote:

> I get the same problem only with an error of 0x737D. WTF

K Mishler@discussions.microsoft.com Rob K Mishler

Aug 21, 2008, 1:32:04 PM8/21/08
I am having the same problem, same parameters. If you have any directions
please advise.
Thanks,
msica...@embarqmail.com

Unknown

Aug 25, 2008, 12:34:02 PM8/25/08

vman1030

Sep 4, 2008, 8:53:00 PM9/4/08
I have been searching for a solution to this problem for 2 months with no
result until now. After following your instructions, the update loaded
without a problem. Please accept my sincere thanks for posting this fix.

Jeff

Sep 12, 2008, 5:00:04 PM9/12/08
Please help!!

Time: 09/12/2008 08:39:41.621
KB Number: KB948109
Machine: JEFF-PC
OS Version: Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)

Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
Package Platform: x86
Package SP Level: 2
Package Version: 3068
Command-line parameters specified:
/quiet
/allinstances
Cluster Installation: No

Prerequisites Check & Status
SQLSupport: Passed

Products Detected Language Level Patch Level
Platform Edition

SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ) ENU SP2
2005.090.3042.00 x86 EXPRESS

Products Disqualified & Reason
Product Reason

Processes Locking Files
Process Name Feature Type User Name
PID

MSSQL$MSSMLBIZ SQL Server Database Services Service NT
AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 2644

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ)

Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File :
SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 11016
Error Description : SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl
post script procedure

Summary
SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure

Exit Code Returned: 11016My gosh. Here is what I am getting! Please
help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Tip from a pro:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/07/17/patching-this-month-sbs-2003-sp2-standard.aspx
>
> Or you could...

> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number(s).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> mchua wrote:
> > I was trying to install this update to no avail. Error code returned is
> > 2B08. I had try to search for KB on this error code but return no
> > results.
> > Now I cannot RAS in to my corpnet because of security violation for not
> > installing this update. I am stuck. Any assistance you can offer is
> > much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you!

digi@discussions.microsoft.com pete digi

Oct 5, 2008, 3:42:00 PM10/5/08
Marion did you ever get this resolved, I've been getting this error code for
months and just found this forum. Thank you.

mariussolomie

Dec 7, 2008, 12:15:42 PM12/7/08
hi all...can somebody help me please in this matter...thank you very much

cblanche

Dec 8, 2008, 6:29:01 AM12/8/08

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> I've been wondering how many of these users actually need SQL at all.
> If they don't use it perhaps it would be best if they simply uninstalled
> the product completely? <eg>

For many people it is installed by Outlook Small Business Contact Manager
or some other software that uses a SQL Database. Frequently they don't
realize this when the software is installed until there is a problem. Even
Microsoft does not explain very well upfront the SQL necessity for Business
Contact Manager; I found out when SQL caused a problem and researched my
system to see what program was using it. Since I wasn't really using BCM I
uninstalled it and my SQL problem went away. But most people just install
the program and are not aware of what underlying database software is needed
in operating and maintaining the software data. Or the software installs and
they don't even know if they are using the features that require SQL. If
they uninstall SQL some software that they are using wll probably not work,
or may uninstall along with SQL.

Clearly, the persons posting for help here and using these applications
do not have the technical knowledge to understand the underlying database
attached to their software applications. Like many computer users they are
not interested in how it works, they just want it to work. So if their
computer needs the SQL update they just want it to update. Clearly they
don't know enough technically to know if removing the SQL software will be a
hindrance or a help.

You as a techie know this, so your help is much appreciated.
Just a thought to consider.

Ann

Dec 29, 2008, 12:28:02 PM12/29/08

midge

Feb 17, 2009, 8:13:01 AM2/17/09
Absolutely agree. Telling people to uninstall is quite nasty and most
unhelpful.

gary_girish

Aug 1, 2009, 12:15:28 PM8/1/09

SQL Server Installation Problem And Operating System Compatibility
Warning

Hello everybody,
I have question ablout the installing SQL Server 2005 in the windows XP
profesional, I always install sql server on my machine with the Windows
XP professional edition as usual without any problem but now
I have a strange problem, first on the System configuration
stepeverything is OK except &#8364;&#339;SQL Server Edition Operating
System Compatibility (Warning) &#8364;&#339; ,with this message :

- SQL Server Edition Operating System Compatibility (Warning)
Messages
�SQL Server Edition Operating System Compatibility

�Some components of this edition of SQL Server are not supported on
this operating system. For details, see 'Hardware and Software
Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2005' in Microsoft SQL Server
Books Online.

Meanwhile the main problem is in the &#8364;&#339; Component to install
&#8364;? window as I don&#8364;&#8482;t see these serises of component
checkbox enable! Except the &#8364;&#339;Worlstation component, books
online and development tool &#8364;&#339;,

sql server database services -->disable
anlysis services -->disable
reporting services -->disable
notification services -->disable
integration services -->disable
Worlstation component, books online and development tool -->enable

And after that I make sure about the serious problem and then I decide
to continuing installation with clicking on the enable check box and
then I have an instance of SQL Server on my machine but it
isn&#8364;&#8482;t compelete .
I tried to solving my problem with unistalling the SQL Server and
reinstalling the this software again but this problem still exist, and
then I decide to change my window and reinstalling this again , I do
that but
It is not work out!!

--
gary_girish