Re: can't get into update - error 0x80072EE7

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 7, 2009, 12:06:50 PM3/7/09
You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883614

Now see...

HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a "clean install":

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip SP2 if you're running WinXP SP1.]

2. Read & heed:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Additional References:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
[clean install = new computer]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/spyware/prevent.mspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Jared wrote:
> I had to do a full system restore (format and re-install of windows xp
> SP1).
> I went to update to begin the long road back to where I was and it requred
> couple of updates of updater first. After the latest reboot it will go to
> updates page but once it checks my software i get this error:
>
> [Error number: 0x80072EE7]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view.

TaurArian

Mar 8, 2009, 1:14:32 AM3/8/09
Jared wrote:
:: I had to do a full system restore (format and re-install of windows
:: xp SP1). I went to update to begin the long road back to where I was
:: and it requred a couple of updates of updater first. After the
:: latest reboot it will go to updates page but once it checks my
:: software i get this error:
::
:: [Error number: 0x80072EE7]
:: The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page
:: you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you
:: solve the problem. For self-help options:
::
:: Frequently Asked Questions
::
:: Find Solutions
::
:: Windows Update Newsgroup
:: For assisted support options:
::
:: Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)
::
:: Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error
:: number 0x80072EE7) yourself.
::
:: None of the links are helpful and the error does not show up in
:: search in the troubleshooting database or here even. Can anyone
:: help me get access to updates?

This error code translates to ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT. This could be
caused by firewall software blocking the Windows Update Site.

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the
0x80072EE7 error
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=22&ln=en&IsMu=False

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821
0x80072EE7 error code

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org