Error 8007000B

philipmorris86

May 6, 2007, 10:30:00 AM5/6/07
I have been receiving a code 8007000B error and cannot update at all. Does
anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Sudheer GN [MSFT]

May 7, 2007, 12:47:52 AM5/7/07
Which version of Windows are you using?

If it is windows vista and you are seeing this error when trying to install
updates, please try the following
1. Open an Administrator command prompt by right clicking on Start -> All
Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt and selecting "Run as
Administrator" and clicking "Allow" for the elevation prompt
2. In the command prompt, type the command below
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
(This assumes that C: is the drive in which Vista is installed. If it is
installed on another drive like D:, please change the drive letter
appropriately)
3. Reboot the machine

This is the resolution only for 8007000b error while installing updates on
Vista. This doesn't apply for other OS like Windows XP SP2 etc

If your OS is not Vista, please send C:\windows\windowsupdate.log

--
Sudheer GN
Microsoft, WU Client

This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"philipmorris86" <philipm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shah@discussions.microsoft.com Nirag Shah

Nov 14, 2007, 1:56:04 PM11/14/07
Hi Sudheer,
My name is Nirag Shah and I am working as a Technical Support Executive for
Microsoft. I take customer calls and troubleshoot their issues. I am
supporting Windows Vista in these days. Today, I had the same issue of
Windows Update. And your article helped me a lot. In fact it resolved the
issue right away.

So this email is just to express my thanks to you :)

Thank you once again.

Regards,
Nirag.
v-6n...@mssupport.microsoft.com

Ferra1980

Nov 19, 2007, 10:19:00 AM11/19/07
Hi, I have the same error, but whe i write
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
in the command prompt i get this error:
Error: the file or directory is corrupted o unreadable
What can I do?

If I schedule a chkdsk /f for the next startup seems do nothing like that.

I have Vista Home Premium

woodsptw

Nov 22, 2007, 9:51:03 AM11/22/07
I tried the setautoreset solution and also received an error message that the
'file or directory is corrupted.."

Is there a recommendation on what to try next?

Thanks!

Ferra1980

Nov 22, 2007, 10:36:00 AM11/22/07
I solved the error in this way:

1)Boot Vista from DVD,
2)Click to rapair installation (or something like that)
2)Run prompt command
3)start chkdsk /f in the volume where is installed Vista
Then restart Vista from HD and try to update

It works form me!

woodsptw

Nov 24, 2007, 9:58:01 PM11/24/07
Thanks. I had tried chkdsk /r from my normal login with no luck. I put the
Driver/Utilities Dell CD in the system and booted from it by hitting F12. I
ran a full disk diagnostics - everything passed (it took half a day to run
btw). Upon reboot - I missed hitting F12 quick enough and Windows started to
load - so I thought I could just turn off the system and retry. No luck - it
said Windows had problems and was going to recover and something about if the
disk was involved - it could take a long time. So - I let it recover and
went shopping. When it finished - I successfully ran the fsutil command
mentioned in the thread here and then successfully ran the windows update.
Thanks to all who have helped.

Now if I could figure out why the system still runs slow I'll be in great
shape.

teesully

Dec 8, 2007, 3:00:00 PM12/8/07
Not only am I having the 8007000B error which won't allow me to update, I am
also unable to update my Trend Antivirus or add lots of very easy to install
software such as Adobe Reader.

I thought it must be a hard drive problem, so I took it to geek squad for
warranty repair. They say it's a software problem, likely Vista, and wanted
to charge me $200 to fix it.

my laptop is pretty new, so I decided to wipe it clean with the recovery CD.
I got a message indicating a hard drive error, but it did go ahead and load
Vista. I reinstalled all my software, but I still get the above error and
cant update Trend Antivirus or install Adobe Reader.

Can anyone help???

pc@discussions.microsoft.com learner pc

Jan 4, 2008, 5:00:00 PM1/4/08
hi please could you help i.ve been tring to do what you say but i'm not that
smart on the pc i go into start b ut i cant find run as Administrator so i
cant go any further pease reply thanks

"Sudheer GN [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> Which version of Windows are you using?
>
> If it is windows vista and you are seeing this error when trying to install
> updates, please try the following
> 1. Open an Administrator command prompt by right clicking on Start -> All
> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt and selecting "Run as

Chris G

Jan 8, 2008, 4:59:03 AM1/8/08

I've been having the same trouble as the error listed (8007000B) below when
doing 'Windows Update' for my Vita operating system, but when I follow the
instructions listed I have the return message "The operation completed
successfully" then I reboot and then run 'Windows Update' but I still get the
same error.

Do you have any other suggestions?
--
Chris G

Chris G

Jan 8, 2008, 5:09:01 AM1/8/08
Hey learner pc,

By now 'Command Prompt' should be appearing inyour recently used programme
list. click on 'Start>then in the list above you should have 'Command Prompt'
highlight the progamme but now right click it then in the new list of option
there should be one that states "run as administrator" then click this.

Cheers, hope it helps you more than it helped me.
--
Chris G

learner pc

Jan 13, 2008, 12:54:01 PM1/13/08
hi i have done all that i was told ie command promp but still cant get the
updtes to download also just realised that when i went to put a new cd in
the drive to copy on to the pc it wont work could this have anything to do
with each other so looking for answers to cure that problem to my pc is
windows vista home adition please help thanks

learner pc

Jan 13, 2008, 1:01:00 PM1/13/08
hi chris thanks for trying to help but no joy still cant download alos just
noticed anoth problem tryed putting a cd in the drive to list to but that
doesnt seem to work does the two have anything in common trying to sort out
two things now really not happy i'm useing vista windows love to have so
more ideas

learner pc

Jan 19, 2008, 4:05:00 PM1/19/08
hi i'm useing windows vista

forest73

Mar 23, 2008, 10:45:02 AM3/23/08
I am having trouble finding the "Run as Administrator" option. The user
accounts state that I am an administrator, but your fix does not acknowledge
my status.

C@discussions.microsoft.com Malc C

May 7, 2008, 7:44:00 AM5/7/08

Malc C

May 7, 2008, 9:03:02 AM5/7/08
Thanks SUDHEER GN (MSFT) I had error 8007000B and could not update, run
defragmentor or install pinnacle studio 11. After following your advice, all
of my problems are over. Many Thanks

Salim

Sep 25, 2008, 3:09:01 AM9/25/08
Thank you so much Ferra1980...wherever/whoever you are, you have great skill
in concise technical writing and I wish you the utmost success in computing
with vista!

=)

...just one thing...when you boot vista from the disk, then choose to
"repair installation" then use the cmd program to change directory to C:\ (cd
C:\) (assuming C:\ is the drive where vista is installed)...before "chkdsk
/f" will start to run it will ask you to release all handles currently
pointing to this disk...i have found that doing this seems to leave
everything okay!

Thank you again!

grantdude

Jun 12, 2009, 10:04:01 PM6/12/09
I followed these steps, but when I typed in the command into command prompt,
I get this error:
Error: The system cannot find the file specified.
Any ideas? Anyone?

TaurArian

Jun 12, 2009, 11:38:51 PM6/12/09
Are you running Vista?
Windows Update error 8007000b
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/ca7d15d7-8ee3-4993-bd01-753dadc904121033.mspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"grantdude" <gran...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DQ

Jun 14, 2009, 4:21:01 PM6/14/09
I'm making this post to help any of those that might get this in the future.
It took me a few times of googling to find a fix that actually worked. Anyway
here it is:

If you are updating Windows Vista and get Error # 8007000B (and error given
when Windows can't update) it recommends you do this:

Go to the Command Prompt (make sure to right click and run as administrator)
then type: fsutil resoruce setautoreset true C:\

This is suppose to fix the Windows updater in Windows, but in my case it
errored saying no specific file found

So after messing with the fsutil resource commands in DOS I found this out:

"Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is
not started or was shut down due to an error"

So I googled this of course and finally got some help.

Below is a link to a Microsoft fix to this problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939615

Click on the fix and run it. After you reboot, you will be able to get your
updates.

DQ

Jun 14, 2009, 4:23:01 PM6/14/09

Ed@discussions.microsoft.com Big Ed

Aug 2, 2009, 1:38:01 PM8/2/09

"philipmorris86" wrote:

> I have been receiving a code 8007000B error and cannot update at all. Does
> anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

I got the message for the four July, 2009 updates. The HELP file recommended
fix would not work on my machine. The fix that worked was to install the FOUR
updates one at a time...case closed.

hnyman

Aug 4, 2009, 11:17:33 AM8/4/09
For me the Windows Update error 8007000B has started to surface after
installing the Vista SP2. It is now surfacing in three different PCs:
One Shuttle PC running Vista Ultimate (English) and two HP 6830S laptops
running Vista Business (English and Finnish).

So, I think that the error is not that much related to individual PC,
but that there is something wrong in Windows Update behaviour after
Vista SP2.

When the error materializes, there is no Task Scheduler (and thus also
no shadow copies etc.)

Looking in <services.exe> and opening task scheduler (which was set to
auto) and all the options are greyed out.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/task-scheduler-service-properties-are-grayed-out/

When looking to the event log, I find in the System section the
following entries which seem to have started after I installed Vista SP2:

There are the following events:

* Event 136, source NTFS: "The default transaction resource manager
on volume C: encountered an error while starting and its metadata was
reset. The data contains the error code.: C:
1C00040002003000020000008800048000000000060019C000000000000000000000000000000000060019C0"
* Event 1, source Kernel-Tm: "The Transaction
(UOW={fe6f03ff-8101-11de-804b-00301bbc2e1b}, Description='') was unable
to be committed, and instead rolled back; this was due to an error
message returned by CLFS while attempting to write a Prepare or Commit
record for the Transaction. The CLFS error returned was: 0xc01a002f."
(The GUID there will change, but then"0xc01a002f" remains the same)
* Event 136, source NTFS: "The default transaction resource manager
on volume C: encountered an error while starting and its metadata was
reset. The data contains the error code.
1C000400020030000200000088000480000000002B001AC0000000000000000000000000000000002B001AC0"
* Event 136, source NTFS: "The default transaction resource manager
on volume C: encountered an error while starting and its metadata was
reset. The data contains the error code.
1C00040002003000020000008800048000000000060019C000000000000000000000000000000000060019C0"
(The same error code as in the first message)

The first of those errors comes first/separately. The other three seem
to surface at the same time.

The events match the already mentioned problems with the "Transaction
support..."

I have no clue, what those errors actually mean. Disk failure? Not
likely, as I have noticed nothing towards that. Somehow, something about
the NTFS gets disabled/corrupted and that prevents task scheduler from
working.

As the same update errors have surfaced for me now in three different
computers, I do not believe that it is a hardware related problem, but
something else. My prime suspect is still something connected to SP2.

hnyman

Aug 4, 2009, 12:22:21 PM8/4/09
Additional info:

I had trouble in getting the FSUTIL resource setautoreset command to
work on C: drive. It seemed to work for other drives, but for C: it
complained about a missing Resource manager.

Finally I found this info, which allowed me to clean the CLFS logs and
run the FSUTIL command (for C:\ ) after reboot:

----
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948252

Explanation: This problem occurs because, after the System Restore is
performed, the Common Log File System (CLFS) transaction logs may be
left in an inconsistent state. When the CLFS transaction logs are in an
inconsistent state...

To resolve this problem, delete the .blf files and the .regtrans-ms
files from the %Windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine folder.

After you restart the computer, the registry regenerates the deleted
files. These regenerated files are in a consistent state.
----

Curiously, that KB article 948252 references
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/939399/ , which KB leads to
the same FixIt solution 50140 as KB 956699 and 939615.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939615
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956699

However, the manual commands given in the article 948252 are different,
and they finally helped me to get the FSUTIL command to work.

Janice

Aug 5, 2009, 11:09:01 AM8/5/09
I too have the same problem as well I cannot seem to back up my computer
anymore either. When I try your suggestion I get system cannot find file
specified. What should I do next? thx

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 5, 2009, 12:54:33 PM8/5/09
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

Janice wrote:
> I too have the same problem as well I cannot seem to back up my computer
> anymore either. When I try your suggestion I get system cannot find file
> specified. What should I do next? thx

<snip hijacked thread>

hnyman

Aug 5, 2009, 3:17:57 PM8/5/09
Still some more info:

I started to ponder about the Task Scheduler issue, as that annoyed me.
Trying to look into Task scheduler always produced errors about Google
Updater. Something like "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered
with.Google Software Updater".

There is even a thread about that error:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaappearance/thread/5412c436-bb91-4d73-ba16-d908d476db11

Then I also noticed that in Event log (System), the next error after the
three NTFS/Kernel-TM errors usually was "The Google Software Updater
service entered the stopped state."

And In Task Scheduler's logs (Event Log / Applications and Services logs
/ Microsoft / Windows / TaskScheduler / Operational ) there are errors
like: 706 'Task Compatibility module failed to update task
"GoogleUpdateTaskMachine.job" to the required status 3. Additional
Data: Error Value: 2147942402.'

So maybe there is something wrong with current setup of Google's updater
in my Pc.

After some Task scheduler editing and REGEDIT usage, I managed to remove
the Google Updater related tasks from Task scheduler. The error
disappeared and right now the system has performed normal scheduled
tasks (like Shadow copies etc.) normally.

I have only Google Earth installed, nothing else. Updating that has
required the updater, But I have had no Google toolbar or desktop or
Chrome ever installed.

So, I am thinking that maybe the underlying reason for the 8007000B
error and Task Scheduler errors might be some kind incompatibility of
GoogleUpdater and Vista SP2 installation. (Because there was Google
Updater already before I installed SP2.)

Hopefully that might be a cure, but only the time (and next updates)
will show that.

hnyman

Aug 7, 2009, 12:22:02 PM8/7/09
Well, after fixing Google updater, the same error materialized also for
'mcupdate' service (the Media Center updater service). So, Google was
not the final reason.

Next idea:

I noticed that I have a repeating "Windows Search" related error in
Event Log / Application:

Event 3013
Source Search
Task category Gatherer
The entry <C:\USERS\XXXXXX\APPDATA\ROAMING\ZZZZZz\CCCC.CCC> in the hash
map cannot be updated.
Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog
Details: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (
0x8007001f )

The error was there several times, maybe once per day. Regarding always
the same file, which functioned just normally and was read/written
several times per day.

I was able to cause the previously mentioned Kernel-Tm error just by
clicking the "Event Log Online Help" link in event log page for that
search error. Clicking that link and accepting "send information" dialog
did not lead to an web page opening. Instead the errors (Kernel-Tm and
NTFS) materialized to the event log.

So I started to think that maybe there is something wrong with the inxed
created ny the new Windows Search 4.0 (or whatever).

I then decided to clean the Windows Search / indexing database. Opened
the control panel for Indexing options and from Advanced options the
"Restore defaults", which will cause the index to be rebuilt. After
reboot, again no errors after that, but lets see what happens.

I am still not sure that I have found any final reason for the 8007000B
error...

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 7, 2009, 2:17:47 PM8/7/09
[And you're replying to...?]

hnyman

Aug 7, 2009, 5:54:46 PM8/7/09
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [And you're replying to...?]

Myself...

Just documenting the observations on symptoms and fix attempts regarding
the 8007000B error to the thread for others to see, while waiting to see
if anybody has any worthwhile suggestions about how to fix the error.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 7, 2009, 7:03:43 PM8/7/09
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/dfb0c9492ae787d5
(06 May 2007 &ff)

Tip #1: To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Tip #2: Instead of posting "Me, too!" replies to a 2+ year old thread, begin

a new thread about your specific problems. State your IE version and full
Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Mac@discussions.microsoft.com Future Mac

Aug 14, 2009, 3:02:05 AM8/14/09
Despite various solutions offered and countless hours spent trying to update
my Vista machine.... my advice is don't knock yourself out trying. As time
goes by, error messages just seem to keep increasing along with frustration.

Ryan

Nov 19, 2009, 11:03:04 AM11/19/09
Hi Sir,

I have tried the method as mentioned by you,

1. Open an Administrator command prompt by right clicking on Start -> All
Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt and selecting "Run as
Administrator" and clicking "Allow" for the elevation prompt
2. In the command prompt, type the command below
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
(This assumes that C: is the drive in which Vista is installed. If it is
installed on another drive like D:, please change the drive letter
appropriately)
3. Reboot the machine

However, same problem still persists, the problem whereby the download
doesnt start and it says windows cant check for updates, etc. So is there
like any other solutions to this problem cause it has been bothering me for a
real long time.