Failed security updates

LEM

Apr 21, 2008, 4:41:00 AM4/21/08
Since April 10th every security update has failed except Windows Internet
Explorer 7 for Windows XP on 13/4/08 and Windows Genuine Advantage Validation
Tool (KB892130) today.

The last successful security updates, on 10th April, were Windows XP
Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB948881) and
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2008 (KB890830)

The error message I get is
"Error Code: 0x80070005
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
resources.
For self-help options:
Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
updates)"

I've tried installing again (3 times), looking through FAQs etc, can't find
the form to report the error via te Contact Us page ... don't know where to
go next.

I'm a home user of the pc, not an IT expert. What I have found on this board
re 0x80070005 isn't making much sense to me and much of it is old (2006)

Can anyone help either with what to try or how to access the Microsoft
Online Assisted Support?

--
LEM

TaurArian

Apr 21, 2008, 7:02:03 AM4/21/08
0x80070005 - Permissions issue.

One of the most common causes of this error code is the Anti Virus and Anti Spyware
software programs running on the computer.

You can try turning them off and then try the updates again. Keep the firewall on though.

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows
2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

otherwise

You can reset registry and file ACLs to their Default state by following the directions
here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"LEM" <L...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

LEM

Apr 21, 2008, 7:57:00 AM4/21/08
Hi, thanks for replying. I tried again having switched off AVG (free) and
again after turning Zone Alarm off and Windows firewall on. No luck.

Before I try resetting etc, which sounds more than I'm competant to do, I
thought I'd try downloading Update KB938127 individually from the website,
not via my update system.

This time I got the message it wasn't suitable for my version of Internet
Explorer. I did change to IE7 on 13th April. Could this be the problem, did I
need to tell the system somehow that updates were needed for IE7 now? The
first update fail preceded that - 10th April, but that could be coincidence,
a temporary blip.

The 4 updates I can't download are Windows XP KB945553, 948590, 941693 and a
security update KB938127 for IE 7.

I downloaded the IE 7 upgrade on April 13th from the update box that comes
on when I turn the pc on, and it had been waiting there for some weeks - I
assumed however that the link would always be to the latest version?
--
LEM

LEM

Apr 21, 2008, 10:36:02 AM4/21/08
I have now tried following the instructions on the link you gave. It worked
to the extent that I have now been able to download and install all four
updates individually from Microsoft's update pages.

However, prior to that when I tried from my security centre's check for
updates link, they failed.

I've now set all my systems back where they were - ie changed back to
ZoneAlarm, and to being notified of available updates and not having
automatic updating. I'll see what happens the next time there is an update
notified.

I'm not sure whether the SubInACL process completed because it said it had
modified 18017 and failed 8.

At least the pc is currently up to date.

Thank you for the help.

--
LEM

SBT

Apr 22, 2008, 7:48:00 AM4/22/08
I'm having similar problems with these security updates and have been trying
to reset registry and file ACLs to Default state with the directions on the
link you provided.
I must be doing something incorrectly as when I press enter to run the
SubInACL tool at the end it doesn't run but just goes down to another line of
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>
The previous 2 lines showing on the cmd.exe window are
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>notepad reset.cmd
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>reset.cmd
I'd be most grateful for any help.
Thank you.

TaurArian

Apr 22, 2008, 8:40:53 AM4/22/08
You'll have to ask Aaron, http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/contact.aspx.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================

"SBT" <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SBT

Apr 23, 2008, 7:05:00 AM4/23/08
Thanks for your reply.
Before I contacted Aaron as you suggested, I thought I'd carefully try to
run the SubInACL tool from the directions again. This time I just clicked
save and then closed the notepad reset.cmd without trying to use the save as
option. And it worked.
After running the SubInACL tool, I managed to update one (KB945553) but not
the other (KB941693) security update. I've also run the SubInACL tool a
second time and tried the update again without success.
I'd appreciate it if you could suggest anything else that I could try?

TaurArian

Apr 23, 2008, 8:32:15 AM4/23/08
SBT, we need more information from you as your problem may be completely different from
the OP -

How to view the Update log in Windows:-

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error code(s)
associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install. If appropriate copy and
paste the error codes into this thread so someone may be able to assist you. On the other
hand, you may be able to find the error code and other suggestions by searching the
Newsgroup.

Also check Windows folder for file called KB******.log (****** = number of update ie
KB896688) and post the contents of the failed update.
This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

"SBT" <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SBT

Apr 24, 2008, 7:59:01 AM4/24/08
Thanks for your suggestions.
I had found another discussion thread where someone had provided links to
Microsoft Security Bulletins and suggested manually downloading updates from
Microsoft Update catalog. This I did and the KB941693 update installed to my
relief.

Out of interest, I had a look at the windows update log and the KB******.log
and found it interesting even if I didn't understand most of it. Thankfully
we don't have to figure it out for this time.
Thanks again.

TaurArian